Can someone tell me how to read nutrition facts

in the nutrition facts I am confused. I am talking about the breakdown table of nutrition. Fat, sugar protein etc. what do the bold ones mean? How do I know if that particular food is good or not. I wish they had a food score. Please help.

Replies

• bluworld
    bluworld Posts: 135 Member
    edited April 2015
    Food is neither good nor bad. Broccoli does not give to the poor, and a cheeseburger has never robbed a bank.
    There is food that is high in nutrients ( think vitamins and minerals) while being lower in calories. Those foods are the ones that are easiest to lose weight with, as you can eat more of them. There are foods that are low in nutrients and high in calories. Those make weight loss harder, as the serving sizes are smaller.
    And, there is everything in the middle.
    Pre log your food, plan a couple days, tweak a bit as needed, and you'll find this all easier than you worried it would be.
    3 or 4 months from now, worry about your micros if you still want to.
  • kdvia
    kdvia Posts: 18 Member
    dont know if this what you are looking for but I use this to read labels http://www.acaloriecounter.com/
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    as people above said no food is good or bad (unless it has transfats in) but its the ratio of the main components that is important. look at the macros in mfp and try and balance them. MFP adds them up for you but you need to be able to work out if the food you are about to eat will push them in the right direction. the stuff cybertone posted above is good Be a bit careful of what a serving is - the government is paid by food companies to allow them to lie. They can give you the food facts in grams, give you a pack and then say a serving is a 1/4 of the pack so you look at the calories and think its good when in reality you are eating 4x the amount. With MFP it is the grams that are important. Just mentally add them in your head to what mfp says you have already eaten to see how you are doing. you don't have to be exact but being in the right ballpark pays dividends. Good luck