In need of shredded chicken recipe

Options
rocknlotsofrolls
rocknlotsofrolls Posts: 418 Member
do any of you guys know a good satisfying recipe for shredded chicken? I mean, what do you put in it? I like having shredded chicken on a whole wheat tortilla. Thanks.

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I don't think I do anything too interesting with it....make enchiladas, taco salads or something like that usually. I also like it over creamy polenta but don't think that is too calorie friendly!
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Use it like any chicken in stews / casseroles / curries...just put it in at the end rather than the start as I presume its already cooked chicken....lets it have half and hour in any dish to take on the flavours.....

Add it to salads to.....or fry off some veg, peppers, onions, chilli etc add that to rice.....with the chicken......add a sauce to that to add more flavour if needed......like garlic and lemon juice.....soy and ginger......hot chilli.....what every you like......

Also make a soup....chicken and sweetcorn soup is good for shredded chicken....again make the stock...then add the chicken and corn....cook through.....

All this is presuming your shredded chicken is the same as in the UK.....lol......
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I cook my chicken in the crockpot with a jar of salsa. It's usually good enough to eat by itself that way. :P
  • jiigglybutt
    jiigglybutt Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I made flautas the other day but one serving which is tiny was already like 700+ calories!! Ha... I also made chicken in the crock pot using home made salsa (you can use store bought too...) and taco seasoning. It was yummmmmy and not too bad calorie wise.
  • subjecttwo
    subjecttwo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I eat shredded chicken all the time. It's good reheated in a skillet with lime juice, onions and peppers, taco seasoning and Worcestershire sauce on a tortilla with some sour cream. My favorite way to eat it is to saute it in a pan with some water (or olive oil), onions, and garlic, (sometimes mushrooms too) and add garlic salt, thyme, and onion powder, then melt in feta or goat cheese. Its low calorie, high protein, and so delicious. Or it's good baked on pita bread with some dressing.
  • livinmydreamsthruJesus
    Options
    I like filling corn tortillas with shredded chicken and a bit of cheese. Make some sour cream and chile sauce, put the tortillas in a casserole pan, pour sauce over top, and bake in the oven. So good! :)
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    wow! Thanks for the quick replies. Chicken has a good bit of protein and these are great. I especially like the crock pot chicken with salsa idea. @Subjecttwo, do you use canned mushrooms or fresh? I was thinking to throw all that in the crockpot together, and then freezing individual servings to have for dinner most days. Maybe a whole wheat tortilla burrito stuffed with the chicken.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Another vote for crockpot chicken. I do mine with a marinade though, generally honey, mustard, white wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, lemon and garlic.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I make shredded chicken in the crockpot (2lbs of chicken breast, a cup of broth) and use that as a topping for flatbread/tortilla/pita pizzas, in quesadillas, in stir fry, mixed with vegetables and a grain, in sandwiches, on top of pasta, in sandwiches, as burrito or enchilada fillings, sandwiches, etc.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    amazing ideas! Full of protein and very healthy.
  • subjecttwo
    subjecttwo Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I cook up five or six pounds of chicken breast in the crock pot, covered in just water, then shred and freeze the plain chicken until I want it. The sautéing is really just heating it up and adding flavor. I usually used canned mushrooms but fresh is probably tastier.
    Cooking it in the crockpot with broth and onions, and adding barbecue sauce when it's almost done is really good too. It's similar to pulled pork that way.
  • fatjon73
    fatjon73 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    subjecttwo wrote: »
    I cook up five or six pounds of chicken breast in the crock pot, covered in just water, then shred and freeze the plain chicken until I want it. The sautéing is really just heating it up and adding flavor. I usually used canned mushrooms but fresh is probably tastier.
    Cooking it in the crockpot with broth and onions, and adding barbecue sauce when it's almost done is really good too. It's similar to pulled pork that way.

I have just found a new way with Chicken......Usually I buy fresh butchers chicken Breasts...then freeze them....my issue is I usually forget to get them out the freezer in a morning...to cook with later....

Needing to up my Protein and Veg...I was looking at my local shop for frozen veg......when I found frozen free range chicken breasts that you cook from frozen................

These I can put in the oven for an hour....with some lemon juice and parsley (dried) a bit of garlic granules s/p wrap in foil....and pop it in....after 40 mins...I usually cut the chicken up using scissors.... and finish it of........... I now eat my chicken most days....I love it this way too...nice and moist chicken........

I now need to try see if this works with my fresh breasts when frozen.........

If not will stick to the frozen ones....if so....then I will buy butchers...(I am a big believer in supporting local producers rather than the big supermarkets in the UK....as they have decimated our high streets....but that's another thread...lol..)
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    We eat everything over or with rice where I'm from I'm serve you could do this with other starches.

If you saute (in olive oil, coconut oil or oil of your choice) some onions, garlic, celery, carrots, peppers (all veg diced small) and spices (salt, paprika, curry powder, etc) and throw your meat in.
    Cook till the veg is tender, then add frozen spinach, and one of the unseasoned frozen mixed veg packets from the store (sometimes I blend those up a bit in order to chop them into smaller pieces).
    Summer until all your flavors marry well and serve over rice or in your tortilla. ☺

• fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I meant simmer not summer☺
  • Michelletrk
    Michelletrk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm on a buffalo chicken kick right now so I just made some plain shredded chicken over the wkend and will be putting it in a tortilla with wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles for lunches this week.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use Rachael Ray's recipe for poached chicken. It is a little more time consuming but you get a couple of quarts of chicken broth and poached chicken. Perfect for salads, tacos, and soups.

rachaelray.com/recipes/poached-chicken

I vary the herbs and use less onion or garlic sometimes. It just depends on what odds and ends I have on hand. I seldom use the oregano.
  • rocknlotsofrolls
    Options
    Fit_Fox88 wrote: »
    I'm on a buffalo chicken kick right now so I just made some plain shredded chicken over the wkend and will be putting it in a tortilla with wing sauce and blue cheese crumbles for lunches this week.

dang! That sounds good.
  • livinmydreamsthruJesus
    Options
    Fit_Fox88 wrote: »

dang! That sounds good.

I second that!! :)