Breastfeeding - calorie intake

hi
I had a baby about 2.5 months ago - im thought to start counting calories. According to the calculation im supposed to eat 1330 calories a day to lose about a lbs a week. Should I add extra calories since I'm breastfeeding ? Or should I just not count and try to eat healthy and in moderation?? What are your thoughts?? A bit torn what to do or where to start

Replies

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    In the diary section, search for breastfeeding. It will give you extra calories.
  • csec6pak
    csec6pak Posts: 54 Member

When I was breastfeeding, I could eat anything I wanted and still lose weight. So I ate like a pregnant woman until my son was about 20 months old. I was below my pre-pregnancy weight at that point. Then he weaned and I didn't adjust my eating, and gained it all back. It wasn't pretty.

So my experience is that you don't need to count calories until the baby weans. Your experience may be different. Have you lost any weight yet? I know I was back in my pre-pregnancy clothes by the time the baby was 12 weeks old because that's when I went back to work, and all my work clothes fit.
  • yvettegp
    yvettegp Posts: 1 Member
    Hi @pollypocket1021 I can't seem to find breastfeeding in the diary section, where did you find it? Thanks heaps!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,959 Member
    edited December 2015
    The recommended minimum to eat while breastfeeding is 1800 calories. Don't eat below that or you may lose your supply. I'd recommend starting higher than that, maybe around 2000 and see what your weight does on that. Check out the Post-Partum Pack group for more info too. Linked below.

Search "Breastfeeding" in the food database. Lots of things came up for me.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/639-post-partum-pack
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    It's actually 1500-1800 calories is the minimum for breastfeeding. Definitely start off high and slowly reduce to avoid compromising your supply. I would recommend just tracking what you eat for a week or so to get an idea of what you normally eat at then slowly reduce or increase of needed. Here is a link to a calculator that takes into account breastfeeding.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/breastfeeding_calorie_calculator.htm

• tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    I added it as an exercise so I would eat it back.