Maybe a stupid question...maybe not.

Options
I have a physically hard time eating "right" so to speak...my body throws up any and all fruits/veggies I throw it's way...If I just eat the same foods as before...just way less of them will that still help me loose weight at the cost of some nutrition?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight as long as you're in a calorie deficit. That being said, eating only less of what you ate before might leave you feeling hungry if you're not filling up on nutritious, low calorie foods as well.

Do you actually physically throw up when you eat fruit? What about vegetables?
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    You should see a doctor about that (if you haven't already). You will still lose weight eating whatever else it is that you eat but in smaller quantities. However, it sounds like the vomiting is the bigger issue.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    The answer is yes you will.
  • Steve29889
    Steve29889 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can eat meat, bread, rice, somtimes I can eat potatos but only if they are instant not mashed. But my body rejects anything that isn't what I listed above.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    I saw something similar about a woman who could only eat potatoes. Anything else made her throw up. She had to gradually bring up her tolerance for other foods. I suggest you speak to a doctor about it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Your body "rejects" fruit and veggies? Have you seen a doctor to find out why?

Is it an emotional thing? My mother-in-law's family was poor growing up and she says they often ate nothing but white rice and Campbell's Tomato Soup. She's in her 80s and to this day rice and anything tomato based makes her gag.
  • Steve29889
    Options
    I mean I've actually tried other things..such as carrots and celery, apples, blueberries, rasberries but I can't even swollow them without my body rejecting them.
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Steve29889 wrote: »
    I can eat meat, bread, rice, somtimes I can eat potatos but only if they are instant not mashed. But my body rejects anything that isn't what I listed above.

What do you mean when you say your body rejects it? Do you mean puking, stomach pain, heartburn? We really can't help you without the details. If you're having adverse physical reactions to food you need to see your doctor. It could be something like IBS. If you just don't like the taste then there are definitely things you can do to make healthy foods delicious.

• azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    That doesn't even make sense. See a doctor.

Yes, if you eat less you will likely lose weight, but for overall health you need to eat produce.
  • Steve29889
    Options
    It's been this way for a long time..I'd say since I was 6 or 7 maybe even before then. By reject it I mean I gag, throw up. I just figured I'd ask about it now that I'm trying to live healthier.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,940 Member
    Options
    I admit to being in a bad mood today : - )
    But do you really think the reactions you describe are what most people experience? That you have some special allergy and that your body reacts differently than other peoples'? Have you considered talking to your doctor and asking for a referal to a pro?

If you take in less calories than you spend you will lose weight. Whether that happens in a healthy manner or not, whether you get the nutrients you need or you don't, whether you will be able to sustain the effort or not are not covered by the above statement.

When our idiocyncracies start affecting our ability to function they start approaching the status of problems that should perhaps be addressed.

Good luck on your path to better health!
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Steve29889 wrote: »
    I mean I've actually tried other things..such as carrots and celery, apples, blueberries, rasberries but I can't even swollow them without my body rejecting them.

If it's not even making it past your throat then it's likely mental. Your body's not rejecting anything because you're not letting the food get far enough for your body to make that decision. It honestly sounds like you might just be a picky eater?

To answer your question so I'm not just a nagger; yes, find out through MFP what your goal each day is and just eat that many calories of potatoes or whatever and you will lose weight.
  • FluffySandwich
    FluffySandwich Posts: 1,293 Member
    Options
    It seems like it might be an underlying emotional issue of some sort, but I'm not a doctor. Ever seen Freaky Eaters? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJGIMd3_LfY

Apparently this woman was forced to eat foods she didn't like as a kid, so she became connected to cheesy potatoes... can't eat anything else. Again, I'm not diagnosing you and still think you should see a doctor! :confounded:
  • Steve29889
    Options
    I think I've seen that woman before on youtube, I might actually go to a docter about it to see if there is somthing I can do about it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    My guess, based on my knowledge of you (which is pretty much zero, LOL) is that you thought fruits and veggies were "yucky" when you were a kid, and have somehow never gotten past that response, to the point where they make you gag.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I've always had potato salad macaroni salad plain oatmeal and rutabaga trigger my gag reflex really badly. Which kinda sucks I actually like the taste of the two salads. It's a texture issue in my case but this seriously sounds like a doctor issue if it's this severe.
  • mlynn1972
    mlynn1972 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into possibly having sensory processing disorder with a hypersensitivity to oral input? You should definitely speak to your doctor to understand the underlying cause to this problem.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I refuse to eat mayonnaise and onions. I can't eat them under any circumstances because I will gag. The smell taste and texture are all revolting.

This is not physical at all. My body can process pretty much any food, as I have no food allergies. It's 100% mental, because I was forced to eat it as a kid, and so to this day I won't touch it. Fortunately for me, it's limited to those two foods, and has no effect on my quality of life. What you are describing seems a lot more serious. The only thing that may help is therapy, but ultimately you just have to decide, one way or another, to get over it if it really truly bothers you.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I think this is psychological. Like when kids make themselves sick because they don't get what they want, but this wasn't resolved earlier so it's deep rooted. I'd see a shrink to be honest. It's not a reaction, that's normally a rash or swelling or worse.
  • Looncove_Farm
    Looncove_Farm Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Im willing to take a guess that if the Fruits and Veges or "healthy stuff" makes you "gag" which in turn can make you vomit, that this is a mental thing you need to get past.
    How you get past that is purely up to you. You coulod enlist the help of a Doctor first and then some sort of Therapy if there isnt a physical issue. Sounds like your mind is rejecting the food, not your body.

Let us know how you make out.

Becca