Calorie burn different - RunKeeper & MapMyWalk

Options
I tried using both MapMyWalk and RunKeeper yesterday during my cardio workout and both yielded different numbers as far as calories burned. I set up an accurate profile for both apps using an accurate and identical weight. I'm not sure what number to input into MFP for calories burned. I took the lower of the two. The difference was about 101 calories.

I want to keep using the free apps and don't want to go out and invest a ton of money for a HRM.

Anyone else experience this? Advice is very welcomed for using the free apps and calorie difference. :happy:

Replies

• kacolarusso
    Options
    Hey TigersFan - (wish I had thought to make my user name CardinalsFan) -

Do you notice a large difference between MapMyWalk and myfitnesspal? For example, I just took my dog on a 2 mile walk. MapMyWalk shows a calorie burn of 425 but myfitnesspal calculates it at 298. I am using the lower but I wonder why the difference..
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    The apps will vary - I ran this morning with Nike+, Runkeeper and my HRM.

Nike+ - 350 cals
    Runkeeper - 369 cals
    MFP - 405 cals
    HRM - 389

Not a huge difference between all four, but sometimes there is a larger spread, possibly with longer runs - not sure, I don't always pay attention because I just go with my HRM.
  • TigersFan14
    TigersFan14 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I just find it odd that if you put in your weight and the GPS feature maps the route and pace, how all these apps can be different. I don't eat back all my exercise calories anyway, but it would be nice to know what the correct number exactly is.

I'm waiting for MFP to integrate with MapMyWalk. :)
  • JohnBG123
    JohnBG123 Posts: 20
    Options
    I use Runtastic and my calorie burn seems to be a lot higher. I use it when I walk. Other people in my friends list also walk not sure what they are using, but mine are always higher when we both have close to the same time.
  • freedomlady
    freedomlady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used run keeper on a walk, and a friend, same age, sex and weight used map my walk. Map my walk showed more calories BUT ALSO A LOT MORE DISTANCE. I checked out the distance with Google maps and it looks like run keeper is the correct one so thats why there is a difference in calories. Map my walk said we walked 6.5 miles, run keeper said 4.88. Google maps said the distance is 4.80, so Runkeeper is the winner.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I just find it odd that if you put in your weight and the GPS feature maps the route and pace, how all these apps can be different. I don't eat back all my exercise calories anyway, but it would be nice to know what the correct number exactly is.

Walking -> 0.3 * miles walked * body weight in pounds
    Running -> 0.63 * miles run * body weight in pounds