"Hangry" is Hunger for Privileged People"--article on The Daily Beast

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pretty much....although I would add that anybody who describes skipping a meal or two as "starving" themselves is also talking from a place of privilege.
  • KingofWisdom
    KingofWisdom Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Pretty much....although I would add that anybody who describes skipping a meal or two as "starving" themselves is also talking from a place of privilege.

Well, yes, but is that such a bad thing? I shouldn't have to apologize for having a good life.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Is what a bad thing?
  • jvt63
    jvt63 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I just posted this because I never heard the word "hangry" before I came here. I've been hangry--just never had a word for it before. It would appear to be true that hangriness is a first-world problem. So no, you don't have to apologize. Maybe just be grateful? Or not. It was just an interesting article, and thought it would spark discussion.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I understood the words, but whatever idea he's trying to get across is over my head. I've been hangry and it certainly didn't spark ideas. It just made me extremely b!tchy and wanting punch babies.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    "hangry" -- a term we use in the South for "cranky/angry due to being hungry"
  • jvt63
    Options
    I'm a total assclown when I'm hungry. It's usually not from dieting, but from poor planning. And I'm certainly no genius in this state. In my 20s and 30s, I cried a few times when I was hungry.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    BS. "Hangry" refers to appetite making you cranky. Most often, it's seen in some dumbdonkey who is following a fad diet, restricting certain foods and food groups overnight to the point of headache, fatigue, etc.

Actual hunger, as experienced by people in poverty, is a gnawing craving for nourishing food that leads to short-term decisions about buying calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods to fill one's belly. Actual poor people can become obese as they rush to beat the horrible feeling of not having enough to eat....or the means to prepare actually nourishing food.

I appreciate the wake-up call. I grew up in a world where one was more likely to know 10 anorexics than 1 obese person. But that's a world of luxury, believe it or not. I just think this article is silly and communicates the idea very poorly.

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    What a weird article.

"We perform our best when we're hangry"? I perform my best when I'm feeling good.

Leave it to some author to take a cute/funny phrase and turn it into one long self-serving bore.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I fast 24 hours two times a week. I don't feel this way (most of the time).
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I've been hungry on many occasions in my life but it's never had any impact on my emotions (sleep deprivation, on the other hand.... >:) ). Nor do I see any "hangry" people in my day to day life, despite knowing an awful lot of perpetual dieters.
  • jvt63
    Options
    I thought it was weird, too. It seems disjointed. (Maybe he wrote it on a full stomach.) However, I appreciate EWJ Lang's points. "Hangry" is nowhere near the same as true hunger. But perhaps that prove the point of the article's title.

I am ashamed to say that I've tried to fast more than once (for spiritual reasons). I never made it longer than 36 hours. I began to fantasize about toast and peanut butter. I was disgusted with myself, but I am a robust gal, and when I'm hungry, I eat.
  • StJost
    StJost Posts: 1
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    "Hangry" refers to appetite making you cranky. Most often, it's seen in some dumbdonkey who is following a fad diet, restricting certain foods and food groups overnight to the point of headache, fatigue, etc. ... Actual hunger, as experienced by people in poverty, is a gnawing craving for nourishing food that leads to short-term decisions about buying calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods to fill one's belly. Actual poor people can become obese as they rush to beat the horrible feeling of not having enough to eat....or the means to prepare actually nourishing food.

I currently work a 10-4 shift at my work on most days - in my state, I don't get a meal break unless I work longer than six hours. So basically, I start the day with breakfast and don't eat again until dinner. I don't have to live in poverty to know what hunger feels like. The best part is that I work with food, so not only do I get to be hangry, but I get to be hangry while handing people their lunches. On the opposite end, to suggest that people who can't afford a proper meal can't be so hungry that they're angry flies in the face of basic human physiology. Your ability to be frustrated by the lack of food in your belly is in no way tied to your socioeconomic status.

This is the most ridiculous way to define hunger OR hanger that I've heard so far. I've never had the self-control or gullibility to follow fad diets, but I can say for sure that I've felt hangry on more than a few occasions. You don't have to be poor to go hungry, and you don't have to be privileged to feel hangry.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    StJost wrote: »
    "Hangry" refers to appetite making you cranky. Most often, it's seen in some dumbdonkey who is following a fad diet, restricting certain foods and food groups overnight to the point of headache, fatigue, etc. ... Actual hunger, as experienced by people in poverty, is a gnawing craving for nourishing food that leads to short-term decisions about buying calorie-dense, nutrient-poor foods to fill one's belly. Actual poor people can become obese as they rush to beat the horrible feeling of not having enough to eat....or the means to prepare actually nourishing food.

I currently work a 10-4 shift at my work on most days - in my state, I don't get a meal break unless I work longer than six hours. So basically, I start the day with breakfast and don't eat again until dinner. I don't have to live in poverty to know what hunger feels like. The best part is that I work with food, so not only do I get to be hangry, but I get to be hangry while handing people their lunches. On the opposite end, to suggest that people who can't afford a proper meal can't be so hungry that they're angry flies in the face of basic human physiology. Your ability to be frustrated by the lack of food in your belly is in no way tied to your socioeconomic status.

This is the most ridiculous way to define hunger OR hanger that I've heard so far. I've never had the self-control or gullibility to follow fad diets, but I can say for sure that I've felt hangry on more than a few occasions. You don't have to be poor to go hungry, and you don't have to be privileged to feel hangry.

I get what you are saying...but in regards to the article linked in the OP....really? we are going to compare some idiot who has Atkins flu to someone whose SNAP benefits ran out mid month?

NOT THE SAME.
  • Camarose79
    Camarose79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Well I do live a routine life, with scheduled breaks, and if I don't eat at specific times it certainly can mess up with my mood or productivity later on in the day.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    People skipping a meal is an achievement now and a corporate "thing" to ... be edgy in the workplace.... WHAT?

I feel very cane-wavey and crotchety about that whole article. I don't even like the portmanteau "hangry" to begin with.
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options

Poor thing. Now try telling that to a child whose gone 3 days without food and is wondering when they may get another meal. THAT, is hunger. Skipping lunch is NOTHING compared to that. I do that on a regular basis, and actually, the hungry stage goes away after a couple hours.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options

Poor thing. Now try telling that to a child whose gone 3 days without food and is wondering when they may get another meal. THAT, is hunger. Skipping lunch is NOTHING compared to that. I do that on a regular basis, and actually, the hungry stage goes away after a couple hours.

YUP... and that poor kid then has access to a couple of Value Meals and wolfs down a few thousand calories when they are there....because the whole family is hungry and the SRO hotel doesn't have a kitchen and they just need food so they can work a double shift again tomorrow.

But....it's HARD when you cant have what you want exactly when you want it. SO HARD.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you are CHOOSING to restrict your food, or have the ability to complain about the type of food you GET to eat... yeah, you're privileged. Yeah, you've never had the kind of hunger pangs a 3rd world individual can face, or even the homeless population here in the 1st world countries led by assclowns that think being homeless makes you deserving of hunger.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

tumblr_m2p00rRyjY1qclvero1_250.gif

You really are speaking from a position of privilege and don't realize it.

There are children who go days and days without eating. DAYS. Don't think for a minute that the paltry hours you rack up even begins to compare.

Google famine victims in Africa for some perspective, please.