Do you have these sad moments?

Options
A plump acquaintance who has not aged well (former hard partyer, I'll bet?) introduced me to her friend a few minutes ago. All three of us are in our 50s. The friend is lean, trim, toned, wearing elegant casual clothes, looking perfectly groomed and like she just stepped off a yacht. I'm in jeans today, and they show my shrinking-but-not-yet-gone muffin top. I felt like a schlub. I know I'm working on it, but at moments like that it feels so very, very far away.

How did I let myself go this badly? I can't believe I have to fight my way out from under all these stupid pounds! I'll look presentable in 15 lbs, hot in 20-25, so there's hope, but for right now, I just feel sad and guilty.

Replies

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I usually bump into old acquaintances on a Sunday morning in Home Depot (fat jeans, ponytail, no makeup), and not when I'm well-groomed and dressed up on an evening out!

Sounds like you're not far from your goals though, so focus on the positive!
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am sure that even your friends friend has some not so pretty moments. Nobody can be perfect all of the time.

And Home depot is where you go when you need to do some work around the house right? So its not a fashion show and it seems to me the appropriate and most practical dress for working would be comfortable jeans t-shirt and pony tail. Any reasonable person seeing you dressed like this is not going to be judging your look. So why are you?

• dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    so, CalifoniaRower,,,,if your friend had been there on her own, you would have sashayed away feeling pretty good about yourself???
    Wonder how your friend felt, caught between you two??

Just getting trying to get some perspective here,,,,,,,,
  • CaliforniaRower
    CaliforniaRower Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    dufus12 wrote: »
    so, CalifoniaRower,,,,if your friend had been there on her own, you would have sashayed away feeling pretty good about yourself???
    Wonder how your friend felt, caught between you two??

Just getting trying to get some perspective here,,,,,,,,

Yeah, that's probably true. She has that sort of uncomfortable look always, dresses oddly, always looks like she's trying too hard. She works for my brother, actually, so she's not a friend per se, but you're right, @dufus12, I didn't think about how she feels. Maybe she's someone who doesn't think about it? Do all women? I don't know.

The good news? My glum post motivated me to go out and bicycle for 70+ minutes! Yay! I exercised away 1000 calories today, which seems amazing. I hope it shows up someday soon on the scale!
  • dufus12
    dufus12 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    CalifoniaRower - I think all us women think about it......and men too. They are not immune. That is why we are here, is it not??
    I recall a few years ago, my husband and I had to sit down with 2 fit men. I mean, totally fit. I was blushing from the off - my husband came away saying ' HIs arm had more muscle in it than in my entire body'.......so yes, they feel it too.

But great you turned a negative into a positive.......well done you!!! :)