Coconut Oil...what is magic about it?

Options
2»

Replies

• Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    It's the bees knees for taking off eye makeup. I don't often cook with it though.
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    They even said to use it on hair and skin??

Plumbers best friend :)

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Daiako wrote: »
    It's magic for the hair. Maaagic.

Seriously, this is all I use coconut oil for haha.

How often do uou use it? And how do you apply it on hair ?

• giannigreco83
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I've been interested in coconut oil for my hair (I have long hair). The coconut oil I have is extra virgin so it's pretty solid at room temperature and breaks into chunks. My question is: how do I melt it efficiently so it does not solidify again before I'm able to apply it, but at the same time won't be dripping from my hair all over my clothes?

Microwave it for 10/20 seconds - I prefer almond oil for my hair though.

I've read all.over that microwaving it takes away all its nutrients ?

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    I've been interested in coconut oil for my hair (I have long hair). The coconut oil I have is extra virgin so it's pretty solid at room temperature and breaks into chunks. My question is: how do I melt it efficiently so it does not solidify again before I'm able to apply it, but at the same time won't be dripping from my hair all over my clothes?

Microwave it for 10/20 seconds - I prefer almond oil for my hair though.

I've read all.over that microwaving it takes away all its nutrients ?

LOLWUT?

Stop visiting woo sites.

11061185_598002067004000_1758600863032947059_n.jpg?oh=dba03fe45d57401e8d31031ad38838fd&oe=55E0D79F

• lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    It's good for teeth pulling too...not what it sounds. It's basically just gargling the melted oil and it helps with getting rid of the bacteria in your mouth. I do it in the morning before brushing my teeth. I make sure to spit it in the garbage though since it solidifies and I'm afraid of it plugging the drain. In the warm weather the oil is already liquid, so it's easy but when it's colder, I put a bit and keep it in the pouch of my cheek and it melts on its own. Sounds gross, but it works well pulling all the crap out of your mouth.
  • giannigreco83
    Options
    lulucitron wrote: »
    It's good for teeth pulling too...not what it sounds. It's basically just gargling the melted oil and it helps with getting rid of the bacteria in your mouth. I do it in the morning before brushing my teeth. I make sure to spit it in the garbage though since it solidifies and I'm afraid of it plugging the drain. In the warm weather the oil is already liquid, so it's easy but when it's colder, I put a bit and keep it in the pouch of my cheek and it melts on its own. Sounds gross, but it works well pulling all the crap out of your mouth.

alright im buying it lol

• jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure about the benefits for internal health, but I know for skin and hair care it's amazing. At least for me it has been. I have a lot of scarring on my arms from a skin condition I have. This oil has not only drastically faded my scars but also has helped my skin condition quite a bit...better than the stuff my derm. was giving me to treat it.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    It also does your laundry for you
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    It makes a good lube.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Works wonders for removing waterproof mascara.
  • giannigreco83
    Options
    miriamtob wrote: »
    It makes a good lube.

Ok.... ?! Go ahead ......
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I will second on the lube. ;)

I've been using it on my face for about 2 years. I went from teenager breakouts to smooth and soft. I do substitute it for cooking sometimes but I don't go bats*t crazy over the health hype over it.

Skin and hair? Heck yeah! I use it daily for both.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It's awesome for your hair.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    How do you use it on your hair? The same way you use conditioner? Or leave it in for awhile (possibly overnight)?
  • lapriya
    lapriya Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How do you use it on your hair? The same way you use conditioner? Or leave it in for awhile (possibly overnight)?
    You can apply coconut oil on hair and leave it in for an hour or so before washing it off. I do that atleast twice a week.
  • lapriya
    lapriya Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have actually done some research and 3 out of 4 medical articles still promote olive oil over coconut oil for cooking.. since the amount of saturated fat in coconut is too high... and all the marketing about good saturated fat in coconut has yet to be fully proven....

i probably have a different opinion about it since i have used coconut oil for whole of my life for cooking. The whole state where i come from are completly depended on coconut oil. We all dont have cholestrol. nor more prone to getting... its a myth.
  • DedRepublic
    DedRepublic Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I make an extensive usage of olive oil and more than 10-12 people have told em to switch to coconut oil telling me they will thank me later. They even said to use it on hair and skin?? What is the deal with this oil?

You will find it or a version of it called MCT oil. Full of omega 3's. Helps testosterone as it's a saturated fat and helps you burn more fat. It a staple fat in my diet and pretty much put it on top of all my meals or just drink from a table spoon.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    lapriya wrote: »
    You can apply coconut oil on hair and leave it in for an hour or so before washing it off. I do that atleast twice a week.

Thanks!
  • stephchadz
    stephchadz Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use it for healing tattoos and keeping them moisturized.