Dry beans

Options
tiffbeckett336
tiffbeckett336 Posts: 139 Member
any good dry bean recipes!? I have so many different kinds from wic and idk what to do with them. Was just going to cook a couple of different types together

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    You can make your own refried beans or ham and bean soup or chili.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I like to make black beans as directed and season with adobo or cumin and chili powder. I top my salads with them.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just made 15 Bean Soup with leftover Easter ham. You could use this recipe as a guide if you do not like spicy omit the chipotle chili powder and use a regular bell pepper instead of the poblano.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/11/smoky-15-bean-soup.html

Here is how I do red beans and rice. You can use white beans too. I usually use ham for white beans and sausage for red. But you could omit or use whatever you like. Also it is delicious on it's own you don't need the rice.

soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/10/red-beans-and-rice.html
  • tiffbeckett336
    tiffbeckett336 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Black bean salad
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Oh so very much! Dry beans are a staple in this house. Make sure to soak them (either overnight or quick soak) I do a lot of chili, beans and rice, bean soups, the kids will snack on cooked beans just by themselves!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You can cook a whole pound at a time and then divide them up into meal-sized portions for the freezer. That way you can grab them when you need them and quickly fix them any way you want to supper like you would with canned beans. Beans are great for salads in the summer but also for soups or mashed to make patties. For quick "baked" beans, take some of those frozen cooked beans and heat them up in the microwave with some barbecue sauce and, if needed, molasses or brown sugar.
  • AdrienneKaren
    AdrienneKaren Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bean soup, chili, dal, stuffed peppers, bean salad, a variation on hummus, etc. You can make a lot of things with beans. Just remember that if you use dry beans, they'll quadruple in size after you soak them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've used this recipe to cook a mixture of black, red, pinto, and white beans (in equal proportion).
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463845484944/

Use any bean recipe. Soak them overnight and simmer for about thirty minutes then use them wherever you see canned beans.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This white chili is so good and so easy.
    https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463846032413/
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    Dry beans, dry beans....I bought an acre from a quaker and I planted it with dry beans. You'll never go hungry with an acre of dry beans.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love dried beans as well. I cook them in the slow cooker all day and then use them in soups, stews, chillis, pastas, with rice, as a side dish, etc.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about good ole bbq beans, and garbanzos for hummus (or white/navy bean dip). White beans are great w scrambled eggs & pesto. Love beans.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    A bag of pre soaked pinto beans and about six cups of chicken broth in crock pot. You can also add in flavoring - chopped onion, garlic, seasonings such as cumin, salt, etc. My favorite is lime juice and jalapeños. Bake on high for eight hours or until beans are soft. Drain out liquid and set aside. Then mash bean with a potato masher or electric beater works well - adding in liquid to your desired consistency. I then throw in about 8 oz of shredded cheese and continue heating until throughly melted.

Better than any refried beans you will ever buy. Great for quick burritos, dip, or even alone.
  • sclause
    sclause Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Chili, rice and beans, soup, falafel, black bean burgers! Burritos, black bean dip, people even make garbanzo bean cookies and black bean chocolate cake and brownies!
  • OldHobo
    OldHobo Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Like somebody said, Soak em first.
    Unless you don't want to. Or don't have the time. Or forgot.
    They'll cook without the soak. Might take a little longer is all.
  • hstull82
    hstull82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My go-to crockpot refried beans recipe. I use black beans instead of pinto. Amazing! You will never go back to canned!! http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/70312/refried-beans-without-the-refry/?page=0
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    OldHobo wrote: »
    Like somebody said, Soak em first.
    Unless you don't want to. Or don't have the time. Or forgot.
    They'll cook without the soak. Might take a little longer is all.

And add salt to the soak, I've always done it for taste but saw on America's Test Kitchen that the sodium helps the water penetrate the exterior of the bean to make the soak more effective.
    Also, dried beans go bad so be sure to use them before the expiration date. If you wait too long they'll either take forever to cook or won't cook at all :/
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    hstull82 wrote: »
    My go-to crockpot refried beans recipe. I use black beans instead of pinto. Amazing! You will never go back to canned!! http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/70312/refried-beans-without-the-refry/?page=0

My recipe posted above is better, tho I do think this is the one I started with and modified ;-)