My hips don't move that way!

Options
63hanson
63hanson Posts: 154 Member
My daughter is a Zumba instructor and she's been bugging me to give it a try. Well, I had the weekend free so I decided to spend the time with her. She talked me into doing Zumba at home with just the two of us. Well....my hips don't move that way!

I had seen bits and pieces of her training videos, but had never tried it myself. I managed 20 minutes and definitely got a good work out...but my hips don't move that way!

I don't see how they do it. She told me it was more in the knees than hips, but I still didn't get it. I'm so glad we worked out in her living room and I couldn't see myself...I probably would have been rolling on the ground laughing if I could have seen what I looked like!

She said she would make a personal video just for me to do at home, hopefully with a little practice I will get more comfortable with it. She wants me to go to her class on Monday which is a Zumba Sentao class. It's a class done with a chair, it sounds easier to me, but she says it is not. I think I might try it, although I may be the overweight lady on the floor laughing, because there will be mirrors, either that or I will be on the floor passed out because the class is 50 minutes.

Are there any 50+ people out there that do Zumba? Will I be making a fool of myself?

Replies

• holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    If you have a long history of being sedentary, especially sitting in chairs, then you might just be lacking the flexibility. Stretches might be helpful for you. Really, though just keep at it, you'll get there eventually.

Everyone looks like a doofus the first time they try something new. Have you ever seen babies try to walk? But nobody ever learned to walk by not trying. No one is going to judge you or laugh at you, they've all been there before.

Go move those hips, lady!!
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not 50+ but I definitely look weird when doing Zumba. Everyone else in the class just seem to get the movements and I don't. There's all sorts of shake and wiggle movements that I just can't get right. Let alone being able to do the right steps with my feet and arms at the same time. It's just not happening. However, it is still fun to do. And I did get better than I was in the beginning. The most flexible person in my class looks like she's around 60-65, nothing wrong with 50 ;)

Just go to the class and have fun, even if you spend half the time rolling on the floor laughing you're still getting a good work-out. Besides, your daughter cares about you, and wants to spend this time with you, how can not having flexible hips be a reason to say no to that?
  • whatascene
    whatascene Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First of all, awesome you're doing Zumba!!! I can't do Zumba because my knees will most likely dislocate (I have many problems w/that) But I am a belly dancer and the hips move that way through your legs/knees and how to place your balance on your feet. If you want step by step instruction, take up a belly dance course too! Zumba actually incorporates belly dance moves too- depending on the teacher, but I see it often. Youtube also can break down specific hip movements too
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Nobody will care. You won't be making a fool of yourself. Really, people should hope to be willing to be more like those who are trying something new, regardless of their age.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person who said that if you've been sedentary for a long time you probably lack flexibility. It will come with time, don't give up. Just do the best you can. By the way, no one will be looking or laughing, they are worried about their workout, not what you look like.
  • jmwolffyy
    jmwolffyy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Also not over 50, but I was nearing 300lbs when I went to my first Zumba class. And there were mirrors. I found I was so busy watching the instructor that I didn't have time to watch myself, and when there were parts I just couldn't do, we were told, "just keep moving!" The cardio was what counted, not if we could do the moves just right. The best way to think of it is the way they advertise it: as a dance party. Just a fun way to get in more exercise.
  • Finnellappe
    Options
    My mom was over 300lbs when she started doing Zumba but she always loved dancing so went ahead and tried it anyway. It was hard for her to catch up for the first few weeks but eventually she was doing great (she was 53). If it hadn't been for her college exams, she would still be going and I think she's going back over the summer cause she's suffering a bit for stopping
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and do it! You'll get better at anything you take the time to do. Plus, the human brain improves by doing new things.
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about how you look! Trust me I can totally relate! Everyone else (including you) are so busy watching the instructor that you won't even pay attention to what everyone else looks like because your concentrating on the moves (just like they are) :laugh: Go, have fun, sweat, and you'll feel great! I go 3 times a week and I love it! My hips didn't move that way at first either - but after almost a year - they do now!!! :tongue:
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    First of all, awesome you're doing Zumba!!! I can't do Zumba because my knees will most likely dislocate (I have many problems w/that) But I am a belly dancer and the hips move that way through your legs/knees and how to place your balance on your feet. If you want step by step instruction, take up a belly dance course too! Zumba actually incorporates belly dance moves too- depending on the teacher, but I see it often. Youtube also can break down specific hip movements too
    when i first started bellydance, i felt like i had swallowed a board, not a stick - my midsection was that inflexible. it didn't take too long to learn to use the right muscles whilst relaxing the others. you just have to keep at it :-)
  • Goin4goal
    Goin4goal Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 62 and I did it for 5 months about a year ago and loved every minute of it. It was a senior class, but we still got one hell of a workout. I started at the back of the class and by the end I was one of the ones in front that everyone watched because I knew all the steps. lol I'm thinking of going back. I started working and had to quit - I didn't think I would have the energy to do it after work. It took alot out of me because I sweat so much. I actually came close to passing out one day and realized water wasn't cutting it, so I began to bring along some Gatorade also to get the electrolytes back. You will have tons of FUN if you go. No one is watching you because everyone is concentrating on the steps themselves. The music is awesome and it just takes you away and don't feel like you're getting a workout.
  • 63hanson
    63hanson Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely go tomorrow. My daughter is very excited that I've started taking care of myself. She is a great inspiration, she teaches Zumba, runs 5K's and lifts weights, all the while going to college.

I've seen on this site that you are never too old to start taking care of yourself and I plan on being fit and healthy when I turn 51!
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I can't speak for everyone in the world, but I've been dancing for years, and I am always happy to see people just starting out, at any age. Dancing is more than just good exercise. It's a beautiful thing to do. It's musical, social, spiritual, expressive and artistic all at the same time.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My mom was over 300lbs when she started doing Zumba but she always loved dancing so went ahead and tried it anyway. It was hard for her to catch up for the first few weeks but eventually she was doing great (she was 53). If it hadn't been for her college exams, she would still be going and I think she's going back over the summer cause she's suffering a bit for stopping

Your mom sounds pretty awesome.
  • DMicheleC
    DMicheleC Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am in my 40's and do a zumba class every Wednesday with my friend who is over 60, and we love it. I think if you keep at it you will get the hang of it. I really like it because to me its not exercise, its dancing so therefore I enjoy it more. I also find that if I hear the music sometimes when I'm out I want to start dancing my zumba moves to it, although I'd probably get strange looks it I ever did.:happy: