Legs

Options
Okay, I'm proud to have taken off 10 inches from each thigh, but now they are all muscle, and seem bigger than before. I'm pretty convinced that they & my knees are also attached to tree stumps that go into cankles. So how do I get nice, toned legs without the bulk? I do C25K at least 3 days a week (often 5), and can thank that for losing inches, and probably bulking up. I want sexy legs, not thunder thighs.

Replies

• MadisonsMom2009
    MadisonsMom2009 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Everyone always recommends Pilates for long lean legs!!! So that would be my suggestion.

Congrats on the inches lost!!! You are a machine :)
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Are you doing lots of lower body toning? Women shouldn't do squats... especially if you have naturally "thick" quads to begin with. I have lots of English/European heritage in me and my legs are naturally "stocky" and I was advised to avoid any toning or strengthening exercises that would "bulk" them up such as squats.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've avoided lower body work other than running. The only leg work I do is the thigh machine thingy in the weight room to help tone my inner thighs, but I figure the rest of my legs are working hard enough running so much.
    My mom's side is Irish (my great-grandfather immigrated from there), so yeah, pretty heavily European
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem because I was figure skater for years and I built such strong legs so trust me I have looked into this issue repeatedly... Everyones opinions will vary I am sure but I am a fan of Jillian Michaels... she recommends never using those thigh machines, they really bulk up thighs. She recommends squats ( a variety) and lunges - my personal trainer gave me the same advice. Pilates is supposed to work well too. Anyways, I have seen the same thing said by many fitness experts so even if you don't love Jillian I think her opinion on the subject is most likely valid.
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    For the most part I've avoided lower body work other than running. The only leg work I do is the thigh machine thingy in the weight room to help tone my inner thighs, but I figure the rest of my legs are working hard enough running so much.
    My mom's side is Irish (my great-grandfather immigrated from there), so yeah, pretty heavily European

Unfortuntely, it may be genetics then. I won't ever have slim, beautiful skirt-worthy legs... my heritage just lends me to more athletic, muscular legs... :ohwell:

I'd avoid using any machines at the gym... leave those for the dudes... just use your own body weight as resistance and do floor training/toning...

Here's a great article I found

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sexy_female_training
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Did your inches get bigger? I ask because sometimes it seems like we're gaining muscle ... but often with women we get rid of fat to the point where the muscles just show more than before.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    No, I've taken inches off of them. They just seem to be more thunderous than usual, and I want less thunder thighs.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Extra stretching can help with muscle tightening and will also improve your runs. But it really sounds like your muscles are just starting to poke through as the fat continues to leave. You could also be losing more inches in your hips and butt more, making the thighs stand out in which case only time will sort that out.

There really isn't a "do this, not this" answer. I mean, people will gladly give them to you but ... try asking for exercises that will help bulk you up and they'll magically be the same exercises you get here to slim you down.

I think that as long as you continue to lose weight and drop inches, keep doing whatever you're doing.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    thanks everyone :)
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love walking lunges to really sculpt my legs. Where my thighs went straight into knees, and had a stumpy look, the walking lunges have really defined my butt, thighs and the little muscle over your knee.

So a typical workout would be 40 walking lunges, 2x 1 minute skipping, 30 walking lunges, 2 x 1 minute skipping, then 20 and 10.