People who weigh food, how frequently do you use yours during the day?

Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    valente347 wrote: »
    I use my scale all the time and weigh everything I eat for the most part. I also bake a lot (bread, cakes, cookies, other sweets), and nearly exclusively measure ingredients by weight. I don't go through batteries that quickly, though. I use this scale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw this one, and saw that you can buy an adapter for it... but it looks SO BULKY.

It is ugly, but it's an incredibly useful tool in my kitchen. It is very precise (I have two 20g lab weights that I've used to check it's calibration), easy to clean, light-weight, and has a high weight capacity (which is useful because I cure and smoke a lot of big cuts of meat). It is also fast and easy to read with quite a few nice features for bakers.

Unless there are stores in Canada selling it locally, it's not going to be an option for me because it will en dup being SUPER $$$. I wish I lived in the states just for this lol.

As a fellow Canadian, I hear you. I have a cheapo Starfrit scale from Canadian Tire (uses a CR-something battery), and I recently changed the battery after about 6-9 months of periodic use (I’m not really sure), but that was with its original crappy battery. I’ve been using it lots more lately, though. I think it helps to remember to shut it off after each use, as its auto-shut-off is pretty slow. A battery is about $8 at CT, and I’m okay with buying 1-2 a year. It might be worth buying them in bulk at Costco? I don’t think it’s worth the cost of a more expensive scale, unless you want the extra features.

My point is, it really shouldn’t die quite within 1 month of purchase. And keep in mind that CT has a 1 year exchange warranty - technically, you could use that…

I don't have my receipt for that anymore... you think they'd still let me bring it in? I bought that one like... RIGHT in May or June 2014.

They’re usually good sports about this sort of thing, so I’d at least try for sure! I’ve had luck in the past when I didn’t keep my receipt.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. checking out the website to see if any other scales are there with different batteries

On, if they can’t exchange it, maybe ask if they’d be willing to give you a new scale at the sale price - I got mine when it was just over $10, I think. I have this one: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/starfrit-slim-glass-kitchen-scale-0428554p.html#.VSqRI0L4FcO

Good luck :-)
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    I use it every day like 4 or 5 times a day. I got mine for Christmas over a year ago and changed the battery once . I have this one:

http://www.techfresh.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Perfect-Portions-Digital-Food-Scale.jpg

WHAT SORCERY IS THIS? It shows nutritional values?!!!???#$#??

Yep its pretty accurate but you have to add like a food code to get the nutritional value from this guide it came with. I honestly dont even bother because im lazy and it seems like too much work. I measure my food and then log on here.

Now that I think about it, looking at the display, if it doesn't give me potassium, iron, calcium, etc. readouts, I probably would end up not using it that much either. It looks like it just gives an abbreviated list of nutritional info unlike the USDA Nutrient Database?

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I use my scale all the time and weigh everything I eat for the most part. I also bake a lot (bread, cakes, cookies, other sweets), and nearly exclusively measure ingredients by weight. I don't go through batteries that quickly, though. I use this scale: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NE0FU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I saw this one, and saw that you can buy an adapter for it... but it looks SO BULKY.

It is ugly, but it's an incredibly useful tool in my kitchen. It is very precise (I have two 20g lab weights that I've used to check it's calibration), easy to clean, light-weight, and has a high weight capacity (which is useful because I cure and smoke a lot of big cuts of meat). It is also fast and easy to read with quite a few nice features for bakers.

Unless there are stores in Canada selling it locally, it's not going to be an option for me because it will en dup being SUPER $$$. I wish I lived in the states just for this lol.

As a fellow Canadian, I hear you. I have a cheapo Starfrit scale from Canadian Tire (uses a CR-something battery), and I recently changed the battery after about 6-9 months of periodic use (I’m not really sure), but that was with its original crappy battery. I’ve been using it lots more lately, though. I think it helps to remember to shut it off after each use, as its auto-shut-off is pretty slow. A battery is about $8 at CT, and I’m okay with buying 1-2 a year. It might be worth buying them in bulk at Costco? I don’t think it’s worth the cost of a more expensive scale, unless you want the extra features.

My point is, it really shouldn’t die quite within 1 month of purchase. And keep in mind that CT has a 1 year exchange warranty - technically, you could use that…

I don't have my receipt for that anymore... you think they'd still let me bring it in? I bought that one like... RIGHT in May or June 2014.

They’re usually good sports about this sort of thing, so I’d at least try for sure! I’ve had luck in the past when I didn’t keep my receipt.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. checking out the website to see if any other scales are there with different batteries

On, if they can’t exchange it, maybe ask if they’d be willing to give you a new scale at the sale price - I got mine when it was just over $10, I think. I have this one: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/starfrit-slim-glass-kitchen-scale-0428554p.html#.VSqRI0L4FcO

Good luck :-)

I know I paid the full price for mine, hopefully they'd let me exchange it... although all the scales there use the lithium batteries it seems. Maybe I just got a bad one though, since everyone here seems to have different longevity experiences but some are using scales that use a lithium cell battery!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm constantly using mine and I've even caught my son playing with it a few times. I bought it in August of 2013, if I remember correctly. I'll have to check that though (bought threw amazon, so I'll just have to do a little digging). I have to replace the batteries every few months. It takes the CR 2032 (i think) and I usually get a 5 pack of them on amazon for like $3-4 (much cheaper than in stores).

edit: Yep bought it August 31, 2013 and yep it's the CR 2032 batteries. Takes 2. Which if I were looking to get the batteries right now, there is a set of 10 energizers for $5.25 with free shipping on amazon (much better price then $5 for 2 from walmart).
  • ana3067
    Options
    I'm constantly using mine and I've even caught my son playing with it a few times. I bought it in August of 2013, if I remember correctly. I'll have to check that though (bought threw amazon, so I'll just have to do a little digging). I have to replace the batteries every few months. It takes the CR 2032 (i think) and I usually get a 5 pack of them on amazon for like $3-4 (much cheaper than in stores).

edit: Yep bought it August 31, 2013 and yep it's the CR 2032 batteries. Takes 2. Which if I were looking to get the batteries right now, there is a set of 10 energizers for $5.25 with free shipping on amazon (much better price then $5 for 2 from walmart).

I might just have to look at amazon about batteries then! At this point buying yet ANOTHER scale seems moot... I'll just wait and see if Canadian Tire lets me exchange mine for a new one and if Taylor lets me send mine back in for a refund (without reeipt though, blah).
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    At least 5-6 times a day. I snack and don't pre-log my food. I use rechargeable batteries from Costco and that helps with the price. Mine doesn't have an auto-shut off so the screen can stay on for a while.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know how often I use my food scale. At least once a day.
    My scale is a mechanical scale. I know it maybe isn't as precise as the digital scales but it doesn't need batteries and doesn't break down ever.
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it's time to invest in rechargeable batteries
  • ana3067
    Options
    OKAY so I'm going to put the Ozeri scale in my Amazon.ca cart until I get a chance to go to Canadian Tire and until I see whether Taylor emails me back.... and will use my Salter for now (I have some batteries on hand). I'll either go buy some rechargeable batteries for the salter and just use that one OR buy the Ozeri if I can get a return on any of my other scales haa.
  • ana3067
    Options

I swear Canada does NOT sell these. I look EVERYWHERE and don't see them! Are they like, hidden in specialty stores or something??
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I know I use it at least four times a day because that is usually how many times I eat ….but I don't have an exact count….

Yeah I use it at least 4-5x a day in conjunction with when I eat, but probably up to 10x a day when i include recipe making and having to turn it back on due to auto shut off.... At this point I'm thinking I either need to stock up on rechargeable batteries or buy a pricier scale.

i just got a new one about a month and a half ago ( I think ) and I have changed the batteries once…..

Is that a normal replacement rate in your experience? How is everyone else going so long without replacements??

My new scale needs batteries about every two months. I use it several times a day. 4+.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options

I swear Canada does NOT sell these. I look EVERYWHERE and don't see them! Are they like, hidden in specialty stores or something??
    Walmart, CT, Best Buy, Future Shop (if it's not closed down) have them. You can even check Shoppers or Lawton's. I see rechargeable batteries all the time, probably because I have no use for them.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/electronics/batteries-power/batteries/rechargeable-batteries/N-680
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/energizer-energizer-aaa-500mah-rechargeable-batteries-4-pack-unh12bp4-unh12bp4/10237782.aspx
    http://www1.shoppersdrugmart.ca/en/food-and-home/electronics/batteries/details/057800133230
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/home/home-electronics/household-batteries/rechargeable-batteries.html
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've had my scale for about 4-5months, and I use it.. eh, probably 7-10 times a day. Mostly for meat and snacks. I dont weigh everything.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I go through scales often . the battery life on my current one sucks and have to change batteries very often sometimes once a month
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I've had an OXO scale for a year or so - takes 2 tripleA batteries (I use rechargeables). I weigh stuff on it 5-6 times a day, and put in a fresh set of batteries today (second time since I've had it).
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time and have changed the batteries once in the last year.

I would make sure to get scales that use AA and AAA so that you can get Amazon rechargeable batteries http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-AA-Rechargeable-Batteries-16-Pack/dp/B007B9NV8Q/
    and a battery bay http://www.amazon.com/Ni-MH-Charger-Battery-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00NERV1JK/

I can't remember the last time we bought batteries
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if maybe my frequency of use is what has caused all of my scales to die within ~1 month of purchase. I'll use my scale multiple times per day (probably on average between 5-10x a day, but could be upward of 20x a day if I'm making more elaborate food and having to weigh at multiple stages, or if I get interrupted or if it just times out after a few minutes). One scale uses AAAs, another uses a lithium cell, the other uses a uh... 3V CR battery or something? Salter, Starfrit, and Taylor brands, respectively.

So at this point I'm just getting super annoyed that they keep dying. ALSO whenever I'll buy one, the first use will display a battery life icon and it's ALWAYS only half full from the get-go.

Am I just weighing food too frequently? Do I keep buying crappy brands? Does Canada get all the reject scales?

ETA I'll usually eat 4-5x a day but I will sometimes just grab little things throughout the day, or re-weigh apple cores/peels, and the scales do shut off half the time while I"m in the middle of weighing food for a meal, so those are some of the other reasons I'll sometimes weigh 10+ times a day.

I weigh all food prepared at home, whether I or beau prepare it. That's many times a day.

Your scales are dying, even after you change the batteries?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Just wondering if maybe my frequency of use is what has caused all of my scales to die within ~1 month of purchase. I'll use my scale multiple times per day (probably on average between 5-10x a day, but could be upward of 20x a day if I'm making more elaborate food and having to weigh at multiple stages, or if I get interrupted or if it just times out after a few minutes). One scale uses AAAs, another uses a lithium cell, the other uses a uh... 3V CR battery or something? Salter, Starfrit, and Taylor brands, respectively.

So at this point I'm just getting super annoyed that they keep dying. ALSO whenever I'll buy one, the first use will display a battery life icon and it's ALWAYS only half full from the get-go.

Am I just weighing food too frequently? Do I keep buying crappy brands? Does Canada get all the reject scales?

ETA I'll usually eat 4-5x a day but I will sometimes just grab little things throughout the day, or re-weigh apple cores/peels, and the scales do shut off half the time while I"m in the middle of weighing food for a meal, so those are some of the other reasons I'll sometimes weigh 10+ times a day.

I weigh all food prepared at home, whether I or beau prepare it. That's many times a day.

Your scales are dying, even after you change the batteries?

Yeah I'm at 4-5 per day too. I have three scales and only had to replace the batteries on one of them, once. I also never hit the off button but instead just let them timeout. The one I replaced batteries didn't even have death symptoms, just an icon came up so I changed the batteries

I used to use rechargeable batteries for toothbrushes and the likes, I think, and I just remember them becoming a royal pain. After a while they wouldn't hold their charge or they probably just never really did to begin with...

How about your food scale use habits? I remember someone on my FL, her scale died after she washed it. We both figured she probably should just clean it with a damp cloth in the future. Are you putting a lot of heavy containers on them? I know whenever I weigh meat it's mostly on a piece of paper towel or wax paper, that sort of thing...

Just trying to think up specific reasons why your scales have such a short life.
  • goblue8426
    goblue8426 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have an OXO brand scale and have used it steadily for the last six months (several times per day). Also, it's two years old. Still going strong and haven't even had to replace the battery.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mine does not use batteries. It just plugs into the outlet. I use it every time I prepare a meal. Can't say exactly how many times that actually is. I don;'t know what brand it is. It was given to me by a friend a while back when she was moving out of country.