Working out when sick

Options
Hello all,

I was just wondering how you reconcile getting sick with your eating and fitness plans. I know you’re (probably) not doctors, but I’m curious as to your experiences.

In terms of food, I’ve been eating on a couple hundred cals more than my goals on some days, but the way things are going I’m not sure I’ll eat much at all in the next little while. I’m trying not to worry about it too much.

In terms of exercise, I tried going for a long walk yesterday, but even that made my sore throat worse (oops). I think I read somewhere that you can still run if your symptoms are below the neck? Or was it above? Or am I just feverishly spouting nonsense in a delirium?

How do you know if you’re well enough to workout? Do you wait until all symptoms are completely gone, or is it okay to jump in earlier?

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Generally, if my symptoms are above the neck (stuffy nose, headache, mild sore throat) and I have the energy, I'll do something. It might not be as intense as my regular workouts, but it does improve my mood. For me, if I'm well enough to go into work, then I go and workout a little.

If I'm not feeling it, I stay on the couch.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Generally, if my symptoms are above the neck (stuffy nose, headache, mild sore throat) and I have the energy, I'll do something. It might not be as intense as my regular workouts, but it does improve my mood. For me, if I'm well enough to go into work, then I go and workout a little.

If I'm not feeling it, I stay on the couch.

YES, so that’s how the neck rule worked. Thanks for the info! Staying on the couch sounds good to me just about now :smile:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick, I stay home and recover .