Protein Powders

Options
Hello,

So yesterday we got a protein powder for the first time... and it tasted. just. yuck. Blekh. Ekh. Whatever.
I can tolerate the taste and all, but does anyone know or used a good protein powder that has a good taste?
Thanks.

Replies

• giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Which one did you get and what flavor.. I suggest mixing it with milk with 3 - 4 ice cubes in a blender and it will taste yummy....
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    What you mix it with can make a difference. Milk tastes much better than water normally. Brands vary wildly as well. Some are gross and some taste like a dessert.

Optimum Nutrition is a good choice as far as good quality, decent flavor, and being widely available.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    May I ask why you need protein powder?
    Do you have special protein needs that food can't cover?

fwiw, I've never found one worth the calories. I'll drink one in a pinch. But not regularly.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is a lifesaver for those of us who don't have a chance to eat actual food during the work day. Saves me from having to eat half a chicken for dinner every day.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Trutein is good. Muscle milk, ugh, waste of money.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    shapenerfiterratii Posts: 111 Member
    Options

fwiw, I've never found one worth the calories. I'll drink one in a pinch. But not regularly.

I actually heard it would be good to keep me full for longer, so I thought I'd try it out... lol. Do you think I should manage without it?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I use a grocery store brand (Loblaw/President Choice) chocolate whey isolate - I'm sure it comes out of the same factory as a billion other powders - that's pretty good with milk. It's 12:1 protein grams to carb grams, which is why I chose it.

Probably tastes like dirt if mixed with water....
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, my choices are Muscletech in Vanilla Cake for the whey protein, they have Vanilla Ice Cream in the Iso-Whey. There is a difference between the two in how they mix. Another tasty one is Optimum Nutrition in Peanut Butter Marshmallow. My favorite and fast way to make them is to just use a Blender Bottle with 4 oz almond milk and 4 oz water. Add one scoop of powder and shake until blended. The Muscletech blends better than the Optimum, so you have to shake it a little more than the other. Blenders are good for them too, if you want to take the time. You can also mix fruit and nuts in with them if using the blender. I absolutely despise protein powder with just water (especially when it isn't cold). It's a special kind of 'ewww'.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options
    Personally, my choices are Muscletech in Vanilla Cake for the whey protein, they have Vanilla Ice Cream in the Iso-Whey. There is a difference between the two in how they mix. Another tasty one is Optimum Nutrition in Peanut Butter Marshmallow. My favorite and fast way to make them is to just use a Blender Bottle with 4 oz almond milk and 4 oz water. Add one scoop of powder and shake until blended. The Muscletech blends better than the Optimum, so you have to shake it a little more than the other. Blenders are good for them too, if you want to take the time. You can also mix fruit and nuts in with them if using the blender. I absolutely despise protein powder with just water (especially when it isn't cold). It's a special kind of 'ewww'.

Yup, def a special kind of ew. The smell reminded me of a horse farm I was in. Yuck. With milk it was much more tolerable.
  • linmeece
    linmeece Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have found that if you mix flavors then they turn out a bit better. I hate just drinking chocolate or strawberry flavors. I mix them with a more dull vanilla. I typically use half a scoop chocolate, half a scoop vanilla. It has a much more mild taste. In my opinion. I use a basic whey powder.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try this one: www.plantfusion.net/products/organic-plant-protein. Someone posted about this protein powder sometime this week. I'm having a hard time meeting my protein macros. I'm going to give it a try because I feel so great in the morning when I make my protein from the day before. It happens rarely for me.
  • BigLifter10
    BigLifter10 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    linmeece wrote: »
    I have found that if you mix flavors then they turn out a bit better. I hate just drinking chocolate or strawberry flavors. I mix them with a more dull vanilla. I typically use half a scoop chocolate, half a scoop vanilla. It has a much more mild taste. In my opinion. I use a basic whey powder.

Yes - I love to mix chocolate w/strawberry and I do really like it. But, as usual, there can be a lot of variance between brands and taste. Vanilla does make a good base for pretty much any of it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

I actually heard it would be good to keep me full for longer, so I thought I'd try it out... lol. Do you think I should manage without it?
    Do you enjoy it?

If you're the average person trying to lose weight, I'd focus on foods I ENJOY eating (that fit my calories etc) that keep me full. Given that you have limited calories, why eat stuff you hate. Find things, among the foods you enjoy, that keep you full.
    That's been my approach all these years.

• DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I was given a jug of vanilla Optimum Nutrition whey isolate. I thought I'd at least give it a try for the same reason as OP. It's not bad and it does seem to work as a night snack. I'm gonna try mixing some fruit in it as others have suggested.
  • QuiznatoddBidness
    QuiznatoddBidness Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I've researched and tried them all. My powder of choice (and it isn't close) is Isopure. Solid ingredients. High protein content. Low carbs. The powders mix really well. They have a bunch of flavors. All the ones I've tried are at least good. Several are terrific (my favorite is the Dutch Chocolate). Mix a scoop with cold black coffee, no sugar, and add about a half cup some sort of milk (skim, coconut, and cashew are all great) for a killer iced coffee. Isopure is middle of the road from a price standpoint. Order it on Amazon and pay about half of what they charge for it at GNC.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    I use MTS Whey and whooo!...tastes pretty damn good. Like the other people said....you can mix it with milk like almond milk to make it taste good.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was given a jug of vanilla Optimum Nutrition whey isolate. I thought I'd at least give it a try for the same reason as OP. It's not bad and it does seem to work as a night snack. I'm gonna try mixing some fruit in it as others have suggested.

Okay, I tried it. Much better with fruit in it. I used 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple. It took me over my limits, but, hey, it's an experiment.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I mix mine with skim milk, mashed banana, Greek yogurt, and granola. Lots of calories, but keeps me feeling full nearly all day.
  • shapenerfiterratii
    Options

Do you enjoy it?

If you're the average person trying to lose weight, I'd focus on foods I ENJOY eating (that fit my calories etc) that keep me full. Given that you have limited calories, why eat stuff you hate. Find things, among the foods you enjoy, that keep you full.
    That's been my approach all these years.

I like protein powders when they're good, but Im thinking about what you said.
  • kampshoff
    kampshoff Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition chocolate with unsweetened almond milk is my usual post-workout shake. It's not a DQ shake or anything, but I like the taste.