Step aerobics question?

Options
uvi5
uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
I love stepping while watching tv, my favorite shows or just flipping channels. I don't want to do any fancy routines as of yet. I just build up 15, 20 to 30 minute sessions various times throughout the day. I worked up to 90 through out yesterday and sweat each time, but I did not do any fancy routine, just alternate legs in one continuos motion (fast) on a 6 inch step. I have been reading that the MFP calculator over estimates burns and the option I choose is generic for step aerobics. I just started eating back "some" exercise calories and only 1/2 or less at that.

I'm looking into getting something next month to track heart rate and calorie burns, but for now I'm guessing. It's more curiosity, because i'm getting results. It would just inspire me more to know what i'm getting out of each session.

I started this fitness plan with walking (which I still do). Now I'm walking much faster (almost running, but not). I get the awesome "rush" after each exercise session I do. I've also started lifting weights (very beginner). My hubby has me on a full body routine 4x week. We have a Weight machine, bench, free weights in the garage :smiley:

Is there a difference in calorie burn on a 3 inch step than a 6 inch step? Do I need all the fancy moves to get the benefits? I like the steady rythmic repetitiveness of what I'm doing. It burns a lot and I sweat, but hard to get into a program and lose myself with a fancy routine.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    First of all calorie burns are hard to estimate. There are so many factors involved. Eating back half is a good start. Use that as a guide and tweak the calorie burns up or down....according to your progress. Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio...your step "routine" would qualify

As far as "fancy" moves...no you don't need them if you enjoy what you are doing. I (personally) enjoy simple step routines...I got sick of the treadmill because of the lack of variety. Think of exercise as a lifestyle change (long term health goals). Basic routines to test out maybe..........Cathe Friedrich Basic Step, Shapely Girl Let's Get Stepping, Christie Taylor Mission Possible, Kari Anderson Go! or Kathy Smith Great Buns & Thighs. See if our local library has any of these. These are good starter routines.

If you like (or crave) choreography you can move onto less basic step....Cathe, Christie Taylor, and Jenny Ford. I will always stay pretty basic because I have 2 left feet.

3" or 6" - I don't know about calorie burn, but routines for high steps (Firms Fanny Lifter is 10" high) great for shaping up the legs and buns (moves are not fancy). My step is set to 4"...I'm older and it's all my creaky knees can take.
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    First of all calorie burns are hard to estimate. There are so many factors involved. Eating back half is a good start. Use that as a guide and tweak the calorie burns up or down....according to your progress. Heart rate monitors are designed for steady state cardio...your step "routine" would qualify

As far as "fancy" moves...no you don't need them if you enjoy what you are doing. I (personally) enjoy simple step routines...I got sick of the treadmill because of the lack of variety. Think of exercise as a lifestyle change (long term health goals). Basic routines to test out maybe..........Cathe Friedrich Basic Step, Shapely Girl Let's Get Stepping, Christie Taylor Mission Possible, Kari Anderson Go! or Kathy Smith Great Buns & Thighs. See if our local library has any of these. These are good starter routines.

If you like (or crave) choreography you can move onto less basic step....Cathe, Christie Taylor, and Jenny Ford. I will always stay pretty basic because I have 2 left feet.

3" or 6" - I don't know about calorie burn, but routines for high steps (Firms Fanny Lifter is 10" high) great for shaping up the legs and buns (moves are not fancy). My step is set to 4"...I'm older and it's all my creaky knees can take.
    hey thank you for the input on this. I do various exercises throughout the day, walking (fast), stationary bike, the step and just started weights 4x week first week in now (today is my 4th day). I love to mix up the workouts throughout the day, but for the step (for now) I just want to burn and collect as many sessions as I can in the day.

10 inch step, wow I could not imagine any fancy routine doing that. The 6" burns as is lol. My legs are like rubber directly after. I love the burn and the endorphins it produces. Better than ativan that's for sure! Also, i'm shaping up and faster than I thought. I'm going to start around 12 with my first 30 step, like I've been doing. I build a good sweat even though it's still chilly now. Then I'll keep adding 15, 20 minutes throughout the day and see if I can do like yesterday :lol: Thanks again and have an awesome fit filled day!