Is no exercise right now ok?

Options
Hello everyone! I have been on this up and down journey for quite some time now and I have been fighting to lose the same 10 pounds for the last year. I lose the 10 pounds, then I fall off and gain it back. Then I lose it again and gain it back. This pattern has haunted me for far too long. A couple years ago I was at my highest weight of 328.8 and lost 27 pounds. At that time I stayed at 301.8 for over a month. I was exercising and eating right and working my butt off, but no change in weight. NONE FOR A MONTH! So, I gave up. I never gained the full amount lost back, but I went back up to 317. I started losing again and got down to 304 and again, stopped losing. I couldn't get under the 300 pound hump no matter what I did. Then I met a great bunch of girls and we all worked to push each other. With their help and motivation, I made it past the 300 pound hump and made it down to a low of 285! I felt great! I felt amazing. Then, my life changed. Something happened that brought on a lot of emotion and court hearings and the weight started coming right back on. I went back up to 305. That takes us to current weight. I weighed myself last week and I was sitting at 304.8 and I started to start pulling myself out of this hole again. I haven't been hitting the gym, but I have been watching everything I eat. In this one week I am down to 295.0. I have lost 9.8 pounds in a week with no working out. Is it ok that I am not hitting the gym and still losing weight? I am eating, but not binge eating and I am eating healthy. Is it ok to ride this no working out train as long as the weight is still coming off?

Replies

• fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Your diet is what makes you lose or gain weight, if you workout during weight loss then you can eat a little more if you choose and working out makes you look and feel good as the weight is comming off. Maybe the gym is not your thing maybe walking or hitting a trail is your thing. Do you own a dog? If yes then take them out on the walks with you or vollunteer at a local animal shelter and take those dogs out for walks.
  • nishatay
    nishatay Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do whatever works. If you are losing stick with it.
  • Shandrith
    Shandrith Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    not only is it ok, it is perfectly normal. working out will make you feel better, and hopefully composition your body so that once you reach goal weight you'll think you look better,but the driving force of your weight loss is going to be your diet.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for fitness. How you eat is for how you lose weight. As long as you stick to your calorie deficit, you will lose weight.
  • katharisa
    Options
    I feel you might be losing muscle which means you'll probably plateau. Maybe try just some light excersise like walks for the endorphins
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    katharisa wrote: »
    I feel you might be losing muscle which means you'll probably plateau. Maybe try just some light excersise like walks for the endorphins

Not if a person if losing at the appropriate rate of loss, 1-2 lbs. per week. As long as a person sticks to that, it's not a problem. Losing lean muscle mass happens when a person cuts too many calories for too long, and certainly doesn't lead to a plateau.