House work and calories burnt

Options
just out of curiosity... Do you guys count calories burnt while doing some of the major household / yard chores such as vacuuming, raking leaves, washing floors, gardening etc?

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm sweating for 30+ minutes, I don't count it as exercise.
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    All movement counts toward energy expenditure - trackers may or may not provide "accurate" data but if you collect your own data over a month you will be able to figure out approximately how many calories you are burning / calories you are eating.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I never really counted it, but today I did 2 hours of rather labour intensive yard work and i feel more exhausted than I normally feel after a workout. So I was hoping it would count for something :)
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Household chores aren't exercise. They are the active lifestyle that exercise allows you to lead. If you got overweight while doing those things, you're not going to lose weight by counting them as exercise and rewarding yourself with food for doing them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no I don't...because when I was fat I did all those things and it didn't help me at all.

I only count purposeful exercise that I do for my health and fitness...
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Good points Larissa and Stef. I never really thought about it from that perspective. Thank you ladies for sharing :)
  • marcianne98
    marcianne98 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Household chores aren't exercise. They are the active lifestyle that exercise allows you to lead. If you got overweight while doing those things, you're not going to lose weight by counting them as exercise and rewarding yourself with food for doing them.

True. May be different if you are sedentary.
    I clean for a living for 35+ years. It is a rare day that I am not on my feet. Most of those years I have been overweight. I always said for the work that I do I should be thinner, but have not been. The only time I was my goal weight, was when I seriously reduced calories.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options
    Nope. But if I go over my calories after doing yardwork, I don't feel bad about it.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

yes, but they ate more than they burned doing said housework when they were overweight. ..