Calling all carnivores

Options
There are several vegetarian threads. Feh, let em eat tofu.

What are your favorite meats and ways to prepare them?

Mine:

Steak - No Name Steaks (a Minnesota brand) box of 6 4oz steaks. 150 calories each, medium rare sprinkled with McCormick Montreal Steak seasoning.

Chicken - any piece/any style. I currently love chicken wings (traditional) from Buffalo Wild Wings with their buffalo dry seasoning. About 75 cal/wing. Plain breast of chicken is great too. Sprinkled with a little Kicken' Chicken spice.

Turkey - Rotisserie turkey from Byerly's. Has some of the highest protein/calorie you can get. No gravy though.

Pork - Best pork chop ever is from the Minnesota State Fair. Carved fresh as you order it (on a stick of course).

Bacon - extra crispy so it breaks apart when you touch it.

Salmon - Wild caught seasoned Alaska salmon from Sam's Club. 280 calories for a 5-6 oz fillet.

Tilapia - Also from Sam's Club. This one is lightly seasoned, only 170 cals for a 5 oz portion. Tilapia isn't the best fish, so I don't have it often.

Shrimp, crab, lobster - I love these plain, no sauces no butter or anything else. These are really high in protein.

Replies

• intrigare
    intrigare Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Agree. That's a good list. I'm not picky when it comes to meat, but yeah have to watch those calories so avoid cooking in oil when you can.

Why do you say tilapia isn't the best fish? True it's not quite as tasty and nutritious as salmon, but it is also a lot cheaper and perhaps more eco-friendly.
  • jenniferinfl
    jenniferinfl Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I'm a lazy cook. I cook a rump roast and eat off of that thing for a couple days and then cook another one. I lightly salt and throw it in the oven at 300 and forget about it. Usually remember it in time where it isn't overdone. lol I'm burnt out a bit on chicken and shrimp, but I'm sure I'll be back to them soon. I roasted a big pan of beets like 4 days ago, so almost every meal is a chunk of meat and a chunk of beet..
    I love eating fruit, veggies and meat because it's pretty much the easiest thing ever.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Current favorites: roasted skin on, bone-in chicken breast. Slow cooked turkey legs or wings. Slow cooked lamb shanks. Lamb stew. Rainbow trout, pan fried. Salmon, of course (I grew up in part in AK, so am partial to Alaskan--also halibut, but even more expensive around here). A quick pan fry of skate wing in a bit of butter. A meat sauce with ground pork and beef and lots of veggies, garlic, and of course tomatoes.

Having steak tonight, so might revise.
  • megablackk1d
    megablackk1d Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Moose is really good, but I do love my chicken, and ground beef.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Moose is really good, but I do love my chicken, and ground beef.

Never had moose before.....what does it taste like???
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    pretty much everything. Wild Alaska (Copper River) sockeye salmon is my fav by far. well maybe tied with lobster. And I love moose meat too. Just hard to get.

Having lobster rolls for dinner tonight. Can't wait.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Steak....just salt and pepper and sear it both sides on a hot grill or cast iron pan. Cook to medium rare....add pat of butter in the last minute. I never use a steak sauce. Best way ever. Occasionally, I like to crumble some Bleu cheese on it after flipping it....has time to melt a little....still do the butter.

I love shrimp, lobster and crabs. Just with butter....Occasionally a little old bay seasoning is alright.

Scallops seared in butter. I add nothing else.

Chicken thighs I leave bone in skin on and just salt a decent amount then roast until the skin is very crispy. So good.

I eat a lot of meat many different ways with bbq sauce and other sauces, but those listed are my favorites - as no frills as possible.
  • s2Mango
    s2Mango Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Mmmm meats. Steak, Salmon, Tilapia, Chicken. Seafood(Don't like fish other than Salmon and Tilapia. Love everything else).
    Typically we just easy season things with Adobo, Old Bay, lemon juice, southwest seasoning..Whatever we have laying around we'll try. Our new thing we found last week; covering our chicken in Sweet Chili Sauce. Mmm mm good.
    We make everything in a skillet, and we use olive oil if needed since we don't have an oven.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Most of the meat i eat is venison (deer).
    I love fish and seafood of any kind.
    Chicken and turkey, the occasional pork cut.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    @jpaulie, I found a box of the Copper River salmon you suggested. It's great, thanks.

I was surprised to see two people listed moose as a favorite. I've never had it. I don't know anyone else who has.

However, I've had buffalo burgers and buffalo steak. When well prepared, it's delicious and very lean.
  • ConanSonja
    ConanSonja Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A nice fatty rib eye steak cooked in beef dripping (tallow). YUM!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Short ribs yum!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    We cook any meats - we have a smoker too, so that's opening up a lot of new menu items. We made brisket, whole chicken, and wings in the smoker but we recently cooked oxtail and beef tongue.both in our slow cooker. We buy ducks and rabbits, goat from our Asian supermarket and the slaughterhouse.
  • Kman4evah
    Kman4evah Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Steak - Sea salt and pepper, medium rare. Also love it in stir fries.
    Bacon - Crispy, but still a little flexible.
    Chicken - Oven baked with just a little seasoning. Also just grilled chicken tacos.
    Grilled catfish is good too, but my favorites are shrimp and crab. Don't even need butter, just boil and eat.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Bbq Pulled Pork...yuuuuum

9xokszveqgk3.jpg
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    intrigare wrote: »
    Why do you say tilapia isn't the best fish? True it's not quite as tasty and nutritious as salmon, but it is also a lot cheaper and perhaps more eco-friendly.

I avoid all farmed fish, however if I was forced to choose between two, I'd pick North American farmed salmon over who-knows-where farmed tilapia any day of the week. Not only does salmon have a better nutrient profile, a huge percentage of all the farmed tilapia comes from China and their animal husbandry, ecological, and food processing regulation and oversight leave a lot to be desired.