Runners

Presleykay22
Presleykay22 Posts: 2,446 Member
Runners what is a good pair of running shoes?

Replies

• ninayoungdog617
    ninayoungdog617 Posts: 55 Member
    Go to a store that specializes in running. Have a professional fit you. It is very important to get the right fit. The wrong shoes can screw up your whole running goal. I go to a place called fleet feet. Everyone has different needs. No two person's feet are alike.
  • Presleykay22
    Thank you, I will have to look for a place in my area.
  • runfoorun
    runfoorun Posts: 314 Member
    I go to shoe for a lot of beginners is the Nike Air Pegasus. It's been around forever, very neutral, light, and cushiony. it's always best to go try several pair on but that's a pretty reliable choice.
  • paulf021071
    paulf021071 Posts: 2 Member
    Hello, hows the running going?
  • Needtobeonthebeach
    Needtobeonthebeach Posts: 92 Member
    Hey! I'm the worst to ask. I run 70-80 miles a week and I wear nike. All my other athlete friends swear Nike is the worst and they all wear asics or some running brand from the track and field stores in this area. Are you distance or shorter distance?
  • Needtobeonthebeach
    Needtobeonthebeach Posts: 92 Member
    Oh and I rock Nike frees :) it's great for distance for me because they're so light and they make motion easier.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Shoes are not as important as the marketroids and sales drones would have you think.

I've got a couple of pairs of Asics GT series (GT 2700, I think) I bought near 4 years ago on sale for $69.00 that both have near 2,000 miles on 'em (I do 1300 to 1800 a year.) One all road miles, one all treadmill miles. The treadmill seems to wear more. That belt is like sandpaper so you don't slip off, but tends to sand down the soles faster than asphalt.

Just make sure they fit. Fit and comfort are IMPORTANT.

All else is hype and personal preference ... but mostly hype.

You don't need to spend $200 on "good" running shoes and you certainly don't need to retire 'em every 300 miles, either.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    I argue that shoes are very important, but its not a one size fits all deal. Find a running store close to you. A good running store will have trained staff that will watch you run and based on your form make suggestions on what should work for you. Put them on and run in them before you buy them. Also, ensure the store allows for a 2 week return period so if you find you have issues with them when you take them out you can return them.

Pay for the shoe you like. I try to buy my first pair from the running store where I pick them out. I think it is important to keep supporting businesses that give you the ability to talk to an experienced person and try different shoes on. If you find you really love the shoe then you might be able to find your next pair cheaper online since you know what you want.

• mermer315
    mermer315 Posts: 34 Member
    I argue that shoes are very important, but its not a one size fits all deal. Find a running store close to you. A good running store will have trained staff that will watch you run and based on your form make suggestions on what should work for you. Put them on and run in them before you buy them. Also, ensure the store allows for a 2 week return period so if you find you have issues with them when you take them out you can return them.

Pay for the shoe you like. I try to buy my first pair from the running store where I pick them out. I think it is important to keep supporting businesses that give you the ability to talk to an experienced person and try different shoes on. If you find you really love the shoe then you might be able to find your next pair cheaper online since you know what you want.

Totally agree. To say that shoes are not important is kind of silly. If you happen to pronate pretty severly, (like I do) then it's good to have some one knowledgeable catch that and suggest a shoe that will support the issue. Wearing the "wrong" shoe can lead to injury, then you won't be running at all! :)
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Nothing feels right on my feet except Mizunos. I'd go to a specialty running store and work with an employee to find the right shoe for you.
  • Presleykay22
    Thank you for all the in put I am aiming for distance when it comes to running. I have been running almost up to 6 miles every other day and by the end of my run I can barely walk.
  • hncary
    hncary Posts: 176 Member
    I agree with the others about getting fitted and seeing what feels good for you. I know a lot of people who loved Asics when I was in track, but I have always loved my nike free runs. They are super light weight and bend with my foot.
  • Stephanie3399
    Stephanie3399 Posts: 40 Member
    I am obsessed with mizunos! Find a specialty running store and let them know what your willing to spend! Often times, there's more than 1 pair that will fit you well! Asics, new balance and mizunos were my top 3!