Eating extra at work.. Advice needed.

Options
I'm back to work tomorrow after nearly 2 weeks off. Whilst I've been off, I've signed up to MFP. My worry is, I take my own lunch and snacks to work, but always seem to end up at the biscuit table. And feel bad about myself afterward.
Do people have the same issue, or overcome it? Any help would be useful thanks

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There will always be things like that in your life.

Birthday cake, pot lucks, lunches out, family stuff...just learn to eat within your reasonable deficit...I say reasonable because if it's too low than you probably won't be able to.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Don't go near it. Don't touch it. Don't "have just one".
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Stay away. Take a walk in the building, listen to music, find someone to talk to.
    Each day you accomplish sticking to your plan makes it easier the next day to stick to your plan. Think of making new a new habit like strengthening a muscle. :)
  • Auntiezozo81
    Auntiezozo81 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate your advice!
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Stop it.

Unfortunately, there's no trick to this, beyond practising how to politely decline office snacks. All offices are the same in this regard, every day at my job I'm offered something or other, and you just have to say 'no thanks', unless you have room in your day and want to sacrifice the calories.
  • deathninja82
    deathninja82 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Try working in student support, you don't get fed at work

It's all about working that deficit, as people have already said. Just go in armed with your trusty MFP app and keep an eye on things. Even so one day over won't derail your whole plan while you're getting back into work routine.

This is the long game, the war; if things don't go your way every battle you can still win with determination and motivation.
  • cresyluna
    cresyluna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't know, you could do something like brush your teeth after lunch or get really involved in some project or whatever to avoid it? Tell yourself you need to do 10 jumping jacks and drink a glass of water before getting one (and by the time you've done that you might forget about it anyway?).

That or budget it for it "okay today I'll make sure I have 200 cal to spend on junk, and that is going to go to that biscuit table" - if you can stop at 2-3, that is.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Yeah, totally.

I just don't snack, so snacks at work aren't relevant to me. And I make sure I have other food to eat at meal times or if I get stuck at work late.

It's a learning process--IME, it's hard at first but gets easier.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There are always treats at my office. The boss keeps the kitchen stacked with poptarts, chips, snack crackers, candies, etc. on top of that people are always bring in doughnuts and candy. Clients send us cookies and cakes. Somehow pizza always seems to be available during lunch lol, on the days the boss isn't inviting us out to lunch, which usually ends with a stop at the ice cream shop for either ice cream or milkshakes. Given that this is the daily food environment, the only way I can possibly stay on track is to not participate in the office food. I only eat what I bring in. I bring a variety of fresh fruit that I prepare the night before so I have something to satisfy the sweet tooth, especially when my office mates are indulging in funnel cake and beer. I also leave the office during lunch and walk for an hour, and then eat my lunch at my desk when I get back. I'm always appreciative of the food opportunities that are available, and thank the people who think of us coworkers and bring in treats, but never indulge. If I did, where would I draw the line, and everything available is a calorie bomb. In turn, they respect my decision and don't take offense - though I do sometimes whip up cupcakes or what not for them - though again, I won't indulge. By saying no to the office buffet I can comfortably have a large dinner and a nice before bed snack.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'm back to work tomorrow after nearly 2 weeks off. Whilst I've been off, I've signed up to MFP. My worry is, I take my own lunch and snacks to work, but always seem to end up at the biscuit table. And feel bad about myself afterward.

I prepack my snacks/lunch for the day (which you've already done). I make sure to have a filling lunch on hand, usually high or balanced in fat or protein.

All of it comes down to self control. It's really tough to turn away from those magical office snacks. You can have some and fit it into your day. If you know you can't, it's best to tell yourself "no" and move on. There always seems to be some sort of baked good/Girl Scout cookies/ect at my office, and I always fit it in when I can.
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    I just re read what I wrote and it sounds like an exaggeration. I live at the beach and work downtown for an IT company - during tourist season the food options are RIDICULOUS and plentiful.
  • mwebster01
    mwebster01 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    a lot if it is just self control and restraint.
    pray on it
    drink a glass of water so u will have a full feeling in your stomach.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I just re read what I wrote and it sounds like an exaggeration. I live at the beach and work downtown for an IT company - during tourist season the food options are RIDICULOUS and plentiful.

Living on the beach. Must be nice! (Yeah I'm jealous haha)

Mostly I buy or bring my food, drink my huge cup of coffee. Thankfully I'm not usually too tempted by the stuff when I'm full. Guess it's a different environment, but i usually avoid the morning donuts and instead will make a delicious snack of maybe half complete with coffee later in the afternoon - IF, they're still there. They're usually not...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    We don't have a lot of food in the break room (other than at holiday time) but there is a coffee shop right downstairs where I can get chips or candy in a moment of weakness. The only solution is to make myself not do it (or, at least, not do it every day).

My problem comes when the bosses are buying lunch for us. Sometimes I participate and sometimes I don't. When I don't participate, I don't make a big deal out of it, I just say "No thanks". But the office manager who does the ordering always makes an issue of it. "Seriously? You never eat ANYTHING. I'm going to order you something anyway". And it's never anything I would get. It's always some calorie bomb loaded with cheese or heavy sauces.

One of the bosses is quite overweight. He has been doing really well, trying to lose some of it. We were getting lunch and he told her, "Just pick something for me". She ordered one of the calorie bombs that she usually gets for me. One of the girls asked her "Why did you get him that? You know he's trying to lose weight!" She giggled and literally skipped away. I don't know what the hell is wrong with her.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Well, you've got 3 ways to deal with this:
    • Do without the extra stuff. Just don't go where the food is, avoid it, etc.
    • Plan a small portion in. Easier said than done right? Well, always go for the smallest piece (3X3 piece of cake, the cupcake).
    • Plan in a portion and exercise. Try to exercise before the food event. You'll feel good from exercising, which usually gives you the 'courage' to stay w/ in your bounds.
  • lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch and snacks to work with me. If they aren't tasty enough though, I'm vulnerable to whatever office food there is. Say for example, I only brought dumb old celery for a snack. The cookies in the break room would be calling to me. But, if I also bring peanut butter to have with the celery, then I can resist better because, well, peanut butter!
  • MorganMoreaux
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Mostly I buy or bring my food, drink my huge cup of coffee. Thankfully I'm not usually too tempted by the stuff when I'm full. Guess it's a different environment, but i usually avoid the morning donuts and instead will make a delicious snack of maybe half complete with coffee later in the afternoon - IF, they're still there. They're usually not...

Love living here but my waistline doesn't lol. I put on 30 pounds the first few weeks here and realized I needed to make some changes lol. You mentioned coffee - I think that really helps keep the hunger at bay as well. I have a small breakfast at the office (usually I juice at the house and then have a banana at work) and have a nice cup of coffee. After lunch I have another cup of coffee and that seems to help keep me sane when people are having ice cream etc (I'm the original ice cream assassin - would eat it by the gallon if it didn't put the weight on.) If it's a particularly tough day, I'll take the elevator to the first floor and make myself walk up the six flights of stairs back to the office, and then do the math on how many times I would have to do that to compensate for the treat I'm obsessing about.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    You might be less hungry if you have a more substantial breakfast (more fat and protein)
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I work in a physio clinic and clients are always bringing in things for us all. It's nuts! However, you gotta just start with day one and NOT take anything. Tell yourself this is this, you're building a new habit for yourself of not taking snacks because feeling bad after isn't worth it. Of course, if you want to and if you can afford it in your calorie goal for the day then do it but alas it's your choice. Ultimately it's your choice. You gotta build your own will power. There is no easy way.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Love living here but my waistline doesn't lol. I put on 30 pounds the first few weeks here and realized I needed to make some changes lol. You mentioned coffee - I think that really helps keep the hunger at bay as well. I have a small breakfast at the office (usually I juice at the house and then have a banana at work) and have a nice cup of coffee. After lunch I have another cup of coffee and that seems to help keep me sane when people are having ice cream etc (I'm the original ice cream assassin - would eat it by the gallon if it didn't put the weight on.) If it's a particularly tough day, I'll take the elevator to the first floor and make myself walk up the six flights of stairs back to the office, and then do the math on how many times I would have to do that to compensate for the treat I'm obsessing about.

Do you ever go running barefoot on the beach? :bigsmile: