I'm gaining at 1300 :(

Options
I weigh 103 pounds and I'm 5'4. If I ever go above 1200 calories, I gain weight. Why is this happening?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating more than you think. You are underweight though...perhaps it should not be a huge concern?
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    How certain are you of your intake?

That's the first question I guess.
  • stellet_licht
    stellet_licht Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's crazy. Not to be an alarmist, but might you have a problem with your thyroid? No way should you be gaining at 1200, even at 103 pounds. Even at 1300 (you've got two different figures)
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    How much weight gain over what period of time? If you truly were at maintenance at 1200 calories, then if you ate 1300 calories, it would take you a little longer than a month to gain 1lb.
  • michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are miscalculating your calories or not logging everything you put in your mouth. How much do you exercise?
  • robinmarkz
    robinmarkz Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    At 103 pounds, this should not be a concern. Gaining how much, from what? Where did you start off?
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    5'4" and you're concerned about being over 103 lbs.? You need to see a doctor.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Because you're tiny? If you're tracking accurately, and have been on low calories for a long time your body will adapt to the low calories. In order to lose weight, you need to keep eating less and less.... You can make your body adapt to more calories
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I am sure that you probably know that @ 5'4" , 103# you are underweight. Perhaps you should talk with your health care professional.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    5'4" and you're concerned about being over 103 lbs.? You need to see a doctor.

x2 my sister is shorter than you and weighs 122lbs and looks fab...I can't imagine her at 103...get your butt to a doctor.

• maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that 103lbs is low, you're probably not counting cals as accurately. Are you using a food scale.

I am 5'4 and maintain at 112 to 115 easily at 1800 cals.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor, this is not healthy at all.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Could you make your diary public? It might be helpful to give advice if we can see what you're eating.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    How old are you, OP?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    A 20 year old at 5'4 and 104 pounds should not be so concerned with gaining weight. You are underweight. Please see a medical and or psychological professional. My ED spidey sense is up here.
  • gonzanab
    gonzanab Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise? If so, you should consider the possibility of gaining weight due to your workouts, but I do agree with others that at your current weight you seem underweight.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    You are probably eating more than you think. You are underweight though...perhaps it should not be a huge concern?
    PRMinx wrote: »
    A 20 year old at 5'4 and 104 pounds should not be so concerned with gaining weight. You are underweight. Please see a medical and or psychological professional. My ED spidey sense is up here.

At 5'4" and 104 pounds her BMI is 17.7, which is not much lower than the normal range which starts at 18.5. I cannot agree with the recommendations to not worry about it or to seek professional help.

If you are working out you may be putting on muscle mass which is more dense than fat and will increase your weight. If this isn't the case, you either aren't tracking everything, eating to much junk, or it may even be that you are not taking in enough calories.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »

At 5'4" and 104 pounds her BMI is 17.7, which is not much lower than the normal range which starts at 18.5. I cannot agree with the recommendations to not worry about it or to seek professional help.

If you are working out you may be putting on muscle mass which is more dense than fat and will increase your weight. If this isn't the case, you either aren't tracking everything, eating to much junk, or it may even be that you are not taking in enough calories.

Ok, but her BMR is 1314. That's just to keep her body functioning.

Why is she trying to stick to a 1200 calorie diet? No way MFP is making that recommendation. That's my point.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    moesis wrote: »

She is not putting on muscle eating 1200 calories a day. But that has nothing to do with this anyway.

And yes, she is underweight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    are you using a food scale OP?