For those who have always been overweight

Options
2»

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I also worked with my doctor to come up with a goal weight and at 44 years old, 5'2" with a SW of 244 we decided upon 175, based on my body type, etc.. I later decided on hoping to be a size 10/12 at 150 pounds. I am currently 150 and a size 2/4, still going down in size but not so much in weight. I would like to be under 150! I think looking in the mirror and seeing what you like is a much better guide than using the scale.
  • bainsworth1a
    bainsworth1a Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 25 lbs higher than the weight charts say I should be for my age and height. It is actually the weight I was when I first started dieting.
    When I look at very old pictures of myself I see that I looked very good even with the so called 25 lbs overweight. I have quite a way to go but I know I will get there.

I'm sure my dr will be ok with my decision. she is the most supportive dr I have ever had as far as weight loss is concerned.
  • syedumairtelecom
    syedumairtelecom Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welll i m lucky in that case that i m always maintained :-P:-):-):-)
  • 00figg
    00figg Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    i chose a clothing size that i felt i would be comfortable with and aimed for that.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and question how you will feel, but *know* that you will absolutely *BE* healthier, regardless of how you now think you will then feel in the future.

Victory isn't simply declared by giving up and calling it "done", right?

Why do you say I will be healthier? The research I have seen indicates no significant difference in health outcomes between overweight and normal BMIs. IOW, it is basically a U shaped risk curve, with significantly adverse health effects for the underwent and obese, but not in between. Do you have different research?

There is no guarantee that a person with a BMI less than 25 will be healthier, but the reason 25 was chosen to identify "overweight" is because there is a sharp increase in health risks for people who have a BMI of 25 or more.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight for most of my adult life. For one period about 10 years ago I lost weight and was very happy at 160. So that was my original goal, because I'm sure I'd be happy there again, even though I'd still be fluffy. I then decided to set it a little lower this go around, but may change my mind when *I* feel comfortable in my skin.
  • ArkMom35
    ArkMom35 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    00figg wrote: »
    i chose a clothing size that i felt i would be comfortable with and aimed for that.

This is a great idea. Everyone weighs differently, but as long as you feel comfortable in your clothes, then go with that.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've never really had a goal weight. I just knew I needed to be smaller. Having lost 90lbs I've now set myself a goal of losing 100lbs, then if I manage that I'll set another small goal.
    I guess my goal would be described as 'get hot, whatever that weighs'.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I was always overweight, and my goal is the middle of the normal BMI range (I'm 2 pounds away, if that, but probably under if you remove the loose skin weight!). It's totally possible. For me it was about making a positive change, and staying overweight and having too much body fat just didn't cut it for me.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I was overweight for most of my teenage/adult life, so I had absolutely no idea what weight would look good on me. I ended up setting my first goal as the upper limit of the healthy BMI, then lowered it a bit more, and am now shooting for a BMI of around 21-22.