Fig Newtons Vs Gels for endurance events

Options
Just a question on your opinions would Fig Newtons be a better source of energy for someone in a long endurance event vs consuming Gels such as Hammer Gels etc
for events of biking or running for 6+ hours
thanks

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    It's very, very person-specific. Use your training runs and rides to test out different nutrition strategies (both WHAT you eat and WHEN you eat it), and see what works for your stomach.

For example, I can (and do; I like to eat) handle Fig Newtons/Clif bars on long bike rides, but while running I even have trouble with gels sometimes. I can usually get away with making a *really* thick energy drink mix/sludge for one of my belt water bottles. I also do okay with jelly beans, but not larger Shot Blox-type gummies.

You might even find that flavor or brand of gel matters, or Fig vs other fruit Newton.
  • David1490
    David1490 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Gel's shoot your blood sugar up for a short term high that lasts maybe 10-15 minutes, then you either need another one or you crash. Between the 2 choices I'd take the Newtons, but what I use is a mix of almonds and raisins. The sugar from the raisins is immediate but the protein from the almonds seems to last. I use that on the bike on longer rides - also throw a Nuun in my water bottle. Running I just try to eat well before I go, but then I'm not out for more than an hour. Gels, shot blox, bars, etc. are expensive to boot.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    David1490 wrote: »
    Gel's shoot your blood sugar up for a short term high that lasts maybe 10-15 minutes, then you either need another one or you crash. Between the 2 choices I'd take the Newtons, but what I use is a mix of almonds and raisins. The sugar from the raisins is immediate but the protein from the almonds seems to last. I use that on the bike on longer rides - also throw a Nuun in my water bottle. Running I just try to eat well before I go, but then I'm not out for more than an hour. Gels, shot blox, bars, etc. are expensive to boot.

And I've read (although I haven't verified myself) that they are basically regular candy with a few extra electrolytes added to replace what you're sweating out.

If that's accurate, then you'd do just as well packing gummy candy or jelly beans and a drink with some extra sodium and potassium.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    It is fairly personal. What works for you may not work for anyone else. I have a tough time with solid foods of any kind while racing, although I am planning to work on trying to eat "bars" of some kind while riding this year. While running, forget anything solid at all - I just go for gels.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    David1490 wrote: »
    Gel's shoot your blood sugar up for a short term high that lasts maybe 10-15 minutes, then you either need another one or you crash.

No.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    As others have said... the biggest factor here is personal preference. Beyond that, the only real benefit I can see is that certain gels can offer a bit more than fig newtons can... most notably electrolytes and caffeine. I'm a big believer in caffeine and sodium during long training/events, so IMO, gels have the edge.