I'm starting to plateau. I need to shed more body fat.

Options
I've been hitting the gym 5 days a week for the past 9 months. I was just over 200 lbs when I started and now am at 153. My body type is endomorph. I made good progress in the first 6 months, but the past 3 months have been unproductive in terms of losing abdominal fat. I eat very healthy but I still can't break 150. I assume I need to add more cardio, but generally I do an equal amount of cardio and resistance. It seems like my upper body and legs are getting good definition, I'm much stronger, but my abdominal fat is still too much. My core is tough to work out. I thought that easing off the resistance and doing more cardio was the trick, but then I started to lose muscle mass. So I have to pick one or the other, or find an alternative. I'd like to hear some advice from someone with a similar experience.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You don't say anything about eating in a calorie deficit, which is what you need to do to lose weight
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You don't say anything about eating in a calorie deficit, which is what you need to do to lose weight

this.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    How many calories are you eating per day?

Based on just looking at your profile picture I would say that one of your biggest issues is lack of muscle. What's your lifting routine.

I agree with this.
  • rsaper87
    rsaper87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have resistance workout 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week with yoga on the 7th day. My workouts are about 45 -h long. My usually bicep curls are with 30 lbs weights, shoulder fly and row workouts with 15 lbs weights, and on my leg workout days I do lunges holding 20 lbs weights, (one in each hand, so 40 lbs total) I used to do more reps of less weight, but now I generally do less reps of heavier weights. I do core workouts 3 days a week as well right after my resistance training. When I first started 9 months ago, I weighed 201 lbs, and started the p90x workout, and I lost 50 lbs in 4 1/2 months, and that's when I began to pIateau. I don't consume enough calories so I think my body is holding onto the weight, however I burn an average of 550-570 calories a day, and routinely run 10K and half marathons throughout the year. My daily intake is about 800 calories. Not nearly enough I'd say for a healthy metabolism. But I do understand that to lose weight I need to burn more than my intake. That seems very difficult, assuming someone my height (5'10") is supposed to be intaking 1600-2400 calories a day.
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ...ah, you should eat much more than 800 a day. I'm not sure how you function on that.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    At 5'10 you want to weigh 137 pounds?? That seems really really low. Maybe consider eating at maintenance and start lifting more to add muscle and lose fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Why are you eating 800 calories a day? With that low of an intake, your metabolic rate is really going to slow down. And you burn FAT at rest, so when your metabolic rate drops, so does the rate of fat burning. Don't try to outsmart your body. You should be eating a minimum of 1800 to 2200 calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • pineapple_peach10
    pineapple_peach10 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    At 5'10 you want to weigh 137 pounds?? That seems really really low. Maybe consider eating at maintenance and start lifting more to add muscle and lose fat.

I agree. For a man that seems extremely low. And 800 calories a day can't sustain you forever, especially while you are so active.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Why are you eating 800 calories a day? With that low of an intake, your metabolic rate is really going to slow down. And you burn FAT at rest, so when your metabolic rate drops, so does the rate of fat burning. Don't try to outsmart your body. You should be eating a minimum of 1800 to 2200 calories.

So very true, especially the bolded part. Do not try, as you will fail!

I don't understand why your goal weight is so low?? I'm a woman, 5"8, 140lbs and eat twice as many calories as you, and the only exercise i do is walking..
  • jimbmc
    jimbmc Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to change your training routine. Chances are your body has become used to what your doing and can cope with it. First, choose your goal: Lose body fat or Gain muscle? Very hard to do both at the same time. Second, use a routine to get you to your goal. For me, if I want to lose body fat, I usually do the 30 Shred, alongside some running and Circuit training with weights on alternate days. Alongside this I eat very clean, Salads, Fruit, Vegetables and I Juice alot too. If I want to increase muscle mass, Its shed loads of protein (both powder and animal protein) load up on creatine, and train heavy and cut down the cardio. The 5x5 routine is good for this. Once again, I would only sustain these routines for 8-12 weeks maximum, then change again. This is what works for me. I'm not perfect, but i'm better than I was 2 years ago :) Hope this helps
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    rsaper87 wrote: »
    I've been hitting the gym 5 days a week for the past 9 months. I was just over 200 lbs when I started and now am at 153. My body type is endomorph. I made good progress in the first 6 months, but the past 3 months have been unproductive in terms of losing abdominal fat. I eat very healthy but I still can't break 150. I assume I need to add more cardio, but generally I do an equal amount of cardio and resistance. It seems like my upper body and legs are getting good definition, I'm much stronger, but my abdominal fat is still too much. My core is tough to work out. I thought that easing off the resistance and doing more cardio was the trick, but then I started to lose muscle mass. So I have to pick one or the other, or find an alternative. I'd like to hear some advice from someone with a similar experience.

i have similar stats over same time frame.
    personal trainer recommended calisthenics( planks,medicine ball crunches/ sit ups and leg raises) to work core and reduce belly.
    along with increased weight/ lower reps for strength training and full body cardio of rowing,elliptical and swimming are all working to shape me up.
    down from a 46" waist to 30" from following above advice.
    maybe get objective advice from someone at your gym over specific goals.
    good luck and congrats on your loss so far.
    ps i eat more than 800 cals in protein daily alone,would be virtually impossible to achieve your goals on your low intake imo.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    rsaper87 wrote: »
    I have resistance workout 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days a week with yoga on the 7th day. My workouts are about 45 -h long. My usually bicep curls are with 30 lbs weights, shoulder fly and row workouts with 15 lbs weights, and on my leg workout days I do lunges holding 20 lbs weights, (one in each hand, so 40 lbs total) I used to do more reps of less weight, but now I generally do less reps of heavier weights. I do core workouts 3 days a week as well right after my resistance training. When I first started 9 months ago, I weighed 201 lbs, and started the p90x workout, and I lost 50 lbs in 4 1/2 months, and that's when I began to pIateau. I don't consume enough calories so I think my body is holding onto the weight, however I burn an average of 550-570 calories a day, and routinely run 10K and half marathons throughout the year. My daily intake is about 800 calories. Not nearly enough I'd say for a healthy metabolism. But I do understand that to lose weight I need to burn more than my intake. That seems very difficult, assuming someone my height (5'10") is supposed to be intaking 1600-2400 calories a day.

OMG - what are you doing to your body?

EAT

Build muscle with progressive weight training whilst eating a decent amount of calories - like 1800 or more

Hit protein and fat macro minimums (0.8 -1g protein per lb of LBM / 0.35g fat per lb of bodyweight)

Compound lift programmes can target more of your body - progression of weights (eg how long have you been lunging with 40lb weights, move up)

and build in a rest day(s)

I'm a 5'8, 160lb female and I am still trying to find maintenance because I'm still losing at 2100 calories with 3 workouts a week
  • rsaper87
    rsaper87 Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did see a personal trainer for a while, and he said that my workout routine was sufficient, but stressed that I needed to double my caloric intake. "Eat more and more" he said. It's not that I don't want to, but I simply am not hungry enough to do so, nor do I have the time. I work from 9-6 (the next few months it will be 9-8). So my times to eat are in the morning, where I have a breakfast high in protein (chicken or turkey bacon with eggs) and then I go to the gym on my lunch break at work. I get a 90 minute lunch each day so I usually get a good workout in, and when I get back to my office I will get half a sandwich with no cheese (I've cut out cheese completely from my diet) and some fruit. And when I get home I'll have grilled chicken and vegetables. And if I'm still hungry I may have a fat free Greek yogurt. And that's it. Never anything more. My carb intake is low, protein high (though not high enough). I also take workout supplements prior to workout, and after. Also on long endurance runs I'll use running gels to get those carbs into my blood stream and muscles faster. How are all of you able to eat so much? I feel like my stomach would burst.

And I should also say that my goal is not to have a specific weight, I know muscle weighs more than fat, and I can see from my progress photos I slowly lose fat over my abdomen but still weigh the same (hence I think I do lift a fair amount of weight) so I'm almost positive my problem is my diet. So ultimately, I just want to loose the remaining abdominal fat. I'm starting to see some of my upper ab muscles but the lower ones are covered. I don't necessarily need to have a 6 pack, I don't care, it's just more about losing the bit of belly fat.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    You definitely know the answer to your own question. You have to eat more- how about adding calorie-dense foods like peanut butter, nuts, higher fat dairy (full fat greek yogurt would be a great place to start). Your body can't build any muscle when you are in such a severe caloric deficit which really negates all the work you are trying to do when you work out. Honestly on such low calories, it's a miracle you have any energy to do anything ever.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Depending on portion sizes the food you list looks like way more than 800 calories (not that I'm saying that is a bad thing). Do you weigh/measure everything or just eyeball it? Just saying that I wouldn't just double what you're eating assuming that would get you to 1,600 calories a day.
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Why would any man want to be 130 some pounds at 5"10? You said you're at 153? That even seems low. I'd go for eating more and lifting weights. You should be at 170-190.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Time is not an excuse. I work full time and am a student full time with a 2 hour drive between home and work. I still make time to plan and prepare meals because it's important enough. 9-6? I would kill for that schedule.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Time is not an excuse. I work full time and am a student full time with a 2 hour drive between home and work. I still make time to plan and prepare meals because it's important enough. 9-6? I would kill for that schedule.

Seriously. I work 7:30-5:30, oftentimes without a lunch hour (away from my desk). I also have an elementary-aged son and a disabled husband. I still manage to eat more than 800 calories/day! Lack of time is not an excuse. It just means you have to plan better.

Also, why have you cut fat from your diet, as it appears from the menu sample you gave earlier?
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm not a nutritionist, or trainer, or anything like that. But it sounds like you're looking to get abs? That will require a combo of increasing muscle mass and losing body fat (and unless you're a body builder with very low fat % already, spot training isn't going to help you). It's hard to do both at the same time once you've already leaned out. Do you have an idea of your current body fat %?

It looks like you've already lost a lot of fat, but not necessarily gained muscle. So you'll need to decide which is more important - continuing to lose body fat, or gaining muscle. To lose body fat, you work off the deficit (although yours sounds too low, so your body may just be holding on to everything). To gain muscle, you typically no longer follow a deficit. Again, for folks who are very overweight, you can sometimes do both, but once you get closer to goal, you may want to focus on either cutting or bulking.

I guess my point is, you may just want to switch things up and see what happens. You should net way more, focusing on proteins, and I'd recommend lifting heavier (although please do so safely).