The Healthy Way: Thigh gap

Options
Does anyone know anyways that can get me a thigh gap healthily

Replies

• Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Go back in time and have different parents. Thigh gaps are mostly genetic, sorry ;)
  • sparkledazle
    sparkledazle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The way has to be healthy im not starving myself
  • sparkledazle
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Smallc10 wrote: »
    Go back in time and have different parents. Thigh gaps are mostly genetic, sorry ;)

Agreed. Some people have them, others don't. Depends on where you carry weight and the width of your hips. At my current weight I have one sitting but not standing, nowhere near! It's really not a big deal anyway. There are no Thigh-Gap-Enforcement-Police.
  • sparkledazle
    Options
    My modeling career is just taking of I will be auditing to be a Victoria secret model next year. My manager has mentioned he wants me to shred a few pounds and tone my legs. When I was like 10-12 I engaged in sprinting which has built up muscular legs. I need to get rid of them or... I lose my contract
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    How old are you?
  • sparkledazle
    Options
    19 turning 20
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you want to get yourself down to single digit body fat for this audition. Unfortunately, there isn’t a healthy way to cut down that far quickly. You may want to look up “cutting” on bodybuilding sites. There are several strategies for cutting fat and water, but it takes extreme discipline and critical timing. People can’t stay that way day in and day out.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    To tone your legs you just need to lose body fat..that won't necessarily get you a thigh gap though.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You want to tone but you also want to get rid of the muscles? I'm having a bit of an issue understanding how those two will go together. Either way the only way they are getting smaller is if you drop weight. Cutting as mentioned above might be your best bet but that focuses on keeping muscle while losing fat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    genetics

wishing for a thigh gap is like wishing for a forearm of a certain length .. if you aren't supposed to have one you won't unless you get down to a disgustingly low body fat in which case no company should employ you anyway
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The way has to be healthy im not starving myself

extreme surgery?

there is no healthy way- unless you naturally have one and currently are to obese to see it. In which case- calorie deficit combined with a general fitness plan that includes cardiovascular work and strength training.

What's the drive for a thigh gap is my more pressing concern???
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have one - i could sell it to you?
    Its genetic rather than hard work. But I do lots of squats, lunges, spin classes, cycling, walking etc.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Unfortunately, if you are a healthy weight and don't have a thigh gap genetics does not give you the ability to get one in a healthy mannor (thigh gaps are more a result of wide hips than skinny thighs in the people who have them)

You might see some success if you eat at a slight deficit and try to lose some weight?

Wish you the best in your modeling career, it is a very tough industry to work in.

Edited to add: I know there are slimming wraps people use/sell. They give temporary results (as in a day or two), but in your case where you want to spot reduce for a specific purpose (an audition or shoot) maybe it would have some value? I always hear about them for your stomach area, not sure if there is somehting out there for thighs?
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, Victoria Secret has a top notch advertising department. They can Photoshop one onto you.
    It's definitely all genetic, because I have 41 inch hips and wear a size 8, and I have a thigh gap. Never asked for it, it just showed up.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat tissues like your future coworkers do
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    19 turning 20

I wonder if this interest in a thigh gap is an age thing. I'm 5 years older than you and I literally didn't know what one was until a year ago - it was never a thing I was even aware of, much less envied, in my teenage years. I'm sure there was an equally silly 'in-thing' girls were after in 2010, but this one always confuses me.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My modeling career is just taking of I will be auditing to be a Victoria secret model next year. My manager has mentioned he wants me to shred a few pounds and tone my legs. When I was like 10-12 I engaged in sprinting which has built up muscular legs. I need to get rid of them or... I lose my contract

I remember the "good old days" 25+ years ago when Victoria's Secrets models had real curves (Tyra Banks, et al.) and weren't skinny teen-agers. Once you start talking about getting rid of muscle you're already heading down a slippery slope.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Oh I haven't seen a thigh gap thread in awhile.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    You're not going to lose muscle from the legs without compromising your health, or opting to use a wheelchair so you don't use your legs at all.
    And honestly, a 2 year stint in sprinting at just barely puberty will unlikely result in muscular legs. Lots of females discount genetics as the reason why their legs are bigger and you can't change your genetics.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png