BMR...TDEE....help?

Options
Hey everyone! I was hoping someone could help me out!

My BMR=1453
My TDEE=2252

To lose weight it said I should take in -500 calories per day TDEE - 500=1742

Currently Im taking in 1600 calories per day with a 500 calorie burn through exercise 5 days a week.....in doing that my net calories are 1100 per day.....

I guess what Im asking is for thsoe who may know out there, am I not eating enough???? I dont eat my exercise calories back...I eat 1600 per day regardless if i exercise or im on a rest day....should I bump this up...Ive been stuck now 2 weeks.....

Replies

• sngnyrslp
    sngnyrslp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    From what I've learned from the fourm, you really shouldn't let your net calories fall below 1200. If you do, your body could go into starvation mode and your metabolism will slow down
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Eat 1600 PLUS exercise calories, then you won't be below BMR on your workout days. NEVER eat lower than your BMR if you can help it.
  • sillyhappykitty
    sillyhappykitty Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There is a really great podcast entitled "Fat 2 Fit Radio". (They are in fact the ones who led me to this site in the first place) They will give you the most excellent advice regarding how many calories you should be taking in. It is a big mistake to go too low, and they will give you all the reasons, and how to tailor a program that will work for you. They are so good at explaining things and they keep it real as well. Google fat 2 fit, and check out their website. (Or subscribe to the podcast) I am currently listening to past podcasts (they've been at it a couple of seasons) and I'm learning a lot.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    Eat 1600 PLUS exercise calories, then you won't be below BMR on your workout days. NEVER eat lower than your BMR if you can help it.

There is nothing wrong with going below your BMR and if you are sedentary and going tor 2lbs per week you will be below your BMR. The general recommendation is to keep your daily average deficit to 1000 calories or less because if you are overweight then the body can handle it without overreacting. So for you the minimum calories would be 1252 calories plus whatever exercise calories you burned that day. Since you are at a deficit of 652 calories, you do go below the minimum if you don't eat some of your 500 calories worth of exercise so keep your net calories at or above 1252. However you only exercise 5 days a week so your average daily net for the week is above 1252.

These are general guidelines that do not apply equally to all people. Some can handle larger deficits with no problems and others can handle less or their body and mind will conspire to cause insatiable hunger and thinking about food 24/7 in an attempt to get them to eat more leading to binge after binge. So watch for the signs of insatiable hunger or thinking about food constantly to indicate you might be running too large a deficit.
  • ethangy
    Options
    bump

...great thread that I want to reincarnate since I've now lost enough weight to see MFP setting my net cals well below my BMR. I think Robin has the most sane approach. Eat back those cals.

Not to go on a rant, but, well...who am I kidding: It doesn't seem intuitively wise to me to go below your BMR. Why would you want to eat less than what your body would burn in a coma? That's basically what BMR is - what you burn lying down all day long, making your hair grow, breathing, and pumping blood....that's it! Too eat less than that number while you're having a normal day, even if you have a sedentary desk job and didn't work out that day, doesn't seem wise to me. The body is going to pull that energy to maintain basic bodily function from somewhere - and if it doesn't have the food intake energy it needs, it's not necessarily going to pull it from fat reserves. It might take it from muscle.

Eat less than your TDEE, not less than your BMR...even if MFP tells you to! It's just a calculator folks, not a doctor!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    bump

...great thread that I want to reincarnate since I've now lost enough weight to see MFP setting my net cals well below my BMR. I think Robin has the most sane approach. Eat back those cals.

Not to go on a rant, but, well...who am I kidding: It doesn't seem intuitively wise to me to go below your BMR. Why would you want to eat less than what your body would burn in a coma? That's basically what BMR is - what you burn lying down all day long, making your hair grow, breathing, and pumping blood....that's it! Too eat less than that number while you're having a normal day, even if you have a sedentary desk job and didn't work out that day, doesn't seem wise to me. The body is going to pull that energy to maintain basic bodily function from somewhere - and if it doesn't have the food intake energy it needs, it's not necessarily going to pull it from fat reserves. It might take it from muscle.

Eat less than your TDEE, not less than your BMR...even if MFP tells you to! It's just a calculator folks, not a doctor!

wow, that was 7 months ago! :)
    Thanks ethangy. I guess I knew what I was talking about even way back then. Notice the guy who said I was wrong hasn't been here since August, never finished his profile, and has no friends.....hmmmmm....could it be that maybe I read and learn and research, and he just jumps in and spouts nonsense?
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    bump

wow, that was 7 months ago! :)
    Thanks ethangy. I guess I knew what I was talking about even way back then. Notice the guy who said I was wrong hasn't been here since August, never finished his profile, and has no friends.....hmmmmm....could it be that maybe I read and learn and research, and he just jumps in and spouts nonsense?

Yeah...looks like it was just a troll. :flowerforyou: