Fat/protein ratio?

Options
Hausisse1
Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
hey! What ratio do you all use for your fat vs protein and why? :)

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I don't.
    Ratios only work if you eat the same every single day.

I have protein and fat minimum goals and the rest (including carbs) fall wherever they fall to fit my calorie allowance and enjoyment of food.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I don't.

I have protein and fat minimum goals and the rest (including carbs) fall wherever they fall to fit my calorie allowance and enjoyment of food.

^This
  • Hausisse1
    Hausisse1 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    That's basically the way I operate, as well! But what are your fat/protein minimums, then? I'm trying to figure out which ratio is generally considered optimal for muscle growth and general health.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Hausisse1 wrote: »
    That's basically the way I operate, as well! But what are your fat/protein minimums, then? I'm trying to figure out which ratio is generally considered optimal for muscle growth and general health.

You'll generally find people recommend 0.8g protein/lb body weight and 0.5g fat/lb.
  • sijomial
    Options
    Mine are:
    1g of protein per pound of lean mass.
    0.4g fat per pound of total body weight.

When I'm cycling a long distance then carbs become more important but I get such a large calorie allowance on those days hitting protein and fat minimums isn't really an issue.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The only thing I go higher on in my allowances is protein and I'll keep my carbs and sugars lower than required. Fat is usually close or bang on at the end of the day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I just try to hit 70 grams of protein and 70 grams of fat, and then whatever up to 1650 calories, because that corresponds with foods that suits my tastebuds and I have noticed I feel good eating like that.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't.

Why is that? I'm not challenging your answer, I just want to know -- never heard that before.

• sijomial
    Options
    I don't.

Why is that? I'm not challenging your answer, I just want to know -- never heard that before.

You need a certain amount of protein and fat but there's no real benefit in eating more. My minimums already have a pretty good "safety margin".

For example my protein goal of 140g would be about 25% of my maintenance calories on a sedentary day but on a big exercise day only about 15%.

Far greater flexibility from minimums rather than trying to micro manage your diet.

• Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I try to get minimum of 200-250 grams of protein everyday and as low on sugar as possible (except fruit) (weight 199) it just works for me. Humans although similar were all very different as well. I do have an extremely boring menu in my diet but I really don't enjoy eating food but respect it.
  • s2mikey
    s2mikey Posts: 146 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ive been trying lately to not worry too muh about ratios but it is hard to hit them all the time. My problem is fat intake. Even though I stick to "good" fats I always seem to go over my fat % for the day. Its sooo hard not to since I love nuts, olive oil, etc stuff like that and they are a big part of my snack choices. I also make my salads with nuts and or olive oil in them.

Currently, my ratios are: carb 45%, Protein 30%, Fats 25%. But, 5 days out of 7 each week I end up with about 35% fats and 35% carbs. protein I usually get right. I guess I should fret over it since my weight is doing what I want. I have a high fat diet.... oh well! :)
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    s2mikey wrote: »
    Ive been trying lately to not worry too muh about ratios but it is hard to hit them all the time. My problem is fat intake. Even though I stick to "good" fats I always seem to go over my fat % for the day. Its sooo hard not to since I love nuts, olive oil, etc stuff like that and they are a big part of my snack choices. I also make my salads with nuts and or olive oil in them.

Currently, my ratios are: carb 45%, Protein 30%, Fats 25%. But, 5 days out of 7 each week I end up with about 35% fats and 35% carbs. protein I usually get right. I guess I should fret over it since my weight is doing what I want. I have a high fat diet.... oh well! :)

Then what is the problem?