A New Reason Women Shouldn't Lift?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I was talking about exercising with an acquaintance of mine, and I told her that I lift heavy. She said that she heard women should never lift heavy because we have weak hearts. WTH? I have no intentions of stopping lifting, but has anyone else ever heard that?

Replies

• My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    LMAO.. love it! dont be so weak hearted sheeesh
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • mewtwo500
    mewtwo500 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never heard that one before. The only way to make your heart stronger is to use it!! : )
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    That sounds like an uninformed person who was taught sexism at an early age and doesn't workout very often.

So, don't listen to them... lol. I hate people like that feed these stereotypes. I am struggling to get my gf to see the benefits of strength training right now, and it is crap like this that makes it so hard! Even Jillian Michaels who is really well respected touts this no strength training approach. It's crap! :(
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Quick! Get my smelling salts, I might just faint from this news!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Oh I have no intentions of not lifting! I figured I'll take my chances with this weak little heart of mine! I was just so dumbfounded when she said that...I've never heard that one before.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    OMG LMAO Did she travel here from the 1860s?

This makes me picture victorian women with super tight corsets having an attack of the vapors.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I was talking about exercising with an acquaintance of mine, and I told her that I lift heavy. She said that she heard women should never lift heavy because we have weak hearts. WTH? I have no intentions of stopping lifting, but has anyone else ever heard that?

What? Wait! What are you doing out of the kitchen?
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    My wife isn't a member of this forum, so I'll put my 2 cents in on her behalf. She's a 127 lb 52 year old woman all natural powerlifter...with a 260 bench and a 385 deadlift. Weak heart? Um, no... She can bench press me.

There's a lot of women athletes who put up with a lot of B.S. to get where they are. Joan Benoit (1st American woman to win the marathon) felt she needed to hide when cars would come by when she was out doing roadwork. Just train, and then you get to wear that kind of sexist crap like a badge of honor while you leave em in the dust.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    LOL

ask your friend how he or she thinks that the human race survived the palaeolithic era, if women have weak hearts and can't do anything strenuous....
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    LOL. We wouldn't have lasted long as a species if women couldn't carry heavy things on a regular basis.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    no.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    My wife isn't a member of this forum, so I'll put my 2 cents in on her behalf. She's a 127 lb 52 year old woman all natural powerlifter...with a 260 bench and a 385 deadlift. Weak heart? Um, no... She can bench press me.

That's fantastic! Being able to bench my husband's bodyweight is one of my goals :) (although I have to work my way up to benching my own bodyweight first, but we've gotta start somewhere...)
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    well, then, I guess I will have heart failure!
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A woman is tough enough to go through childbirth but doesn't have a heart strong enough to lift? Not mention toting around toddlers on one hip and carrying groceries, etc.

Sounds to me like uninformed man-logic passed on to an unsuspecting woman who was foolish enough to believe it.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    You should explain to your friend that when women say their heart's a flutter they don't mean it literally.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    That's stupid...
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    :laugh: