One Week Down: Observations

Options
Okay, observations after one week of bulking:
  • It's a lot of food
  • I feel like a *kitten* eating cookies after I've hit my protein macros for the day and have 300 calories left.
  • I'm having really intense DOMS from the volume I was able to put in at the gym. This hasn't happened in a while.
  • Scale is up four pounds, which I assume is some undiscernable combination of fat, muscle, water, and "other".
  • Fat calipers show fat loss -- which is impossible.
  • Photo shows no change

So I'll give it another week and see what's up.

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    one week is pretty much nothing my friend- you've refilled your glcyogen cells. Buckle up- it gets fun- and much harder but you need to give it at least 3 to have real discernibly clear results.

But yes- it is a lot of food.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    You're not going to notice a ton of change in a weeks period of time.
  • keithcw_the_first
    keithcw_the_first Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I figured as much. I want to err on the side of having more data available. I'd rather have two months' of weekly progress pics than just a "start" and "finish". Plus I'm still feeling this whole thing out.

Any previous bulks weren't accompanied by trips to the gym, so they were more like "long period of stress eating and accompanying fat accrual". This is a difficult concept for me.
  • terizius
    terizius Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about "impossible" right away. In both last year's bulk and this years, my body fat % went down for the first 2 weeks before reversing the trend. Actually.. It just went down again in my 5th week while staying at the same weight as last week. Record the data, analyze the data as a complete set, not the occasional anomaly... Otherwise you'll see all sorts of impossible things! Keep it up and keep us posted.
  • nerdygymrat9
    nerdygymrat9 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    terizius wrote: »
    Don't worry about "impossible" right away. In both last year's bulk and this years, my body fat % went down for the first 2 weeks before reversing the trend. Actually.. It just went down again in my 5th week while staying at the same weight as last week. Record the data, analyze the data as a complete set, not the occasional anomaly... Otherwise you'll see all sorts of impossible things! Keep it up and keep us posted.

Terry is right :) It is good to keep tracking of how you are progressing so that you won't be so surprised by measurement "anomalies". I am pretty new to this myself (only about 9 weeks in) but I am learning to trust the process. Just do your best with eating and working out and keep that data available and I think you will be good to go!
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    one week is pretty much nothing my friend- you've refilled your glcyogen cells. Buckle up- it gets fun- and much harder but you need to give it at least 3 to have real discernibly clear results.

But yes- it is a lot of food.

Give it a month and report back your results......until then EAT,LIFT,SLEEP...REPEAT!

IMO: I would only take pictures once a month.

@JoRocka too much vocabulary for a Monday! :p

• JoRocka
    Options
    #wordsarehard

lol

also yes- not ready for Monday.

(man- gotta get you that word a day thing- get fun emails about words- although that wasn't one of them- that one is a regular for me- but yeah.. expurgate was one from the other day- I'm a nerd. don't hate)
  • jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    • It's a lot of food
    • I feel like a *kitten* eating cookies after I've hit my protein macros for the day and have 300 calories left.
    • I'm having really intense DOMS from the volume I was able to put in at the gym. This hasn't happened in a while.
    • Scale is up four pounds, which I assume is some undiscernable combination of fat, muscle, water, and "other".
    • Fat calipers show fat loss -- which is impossible.
    • Photo shows no change

So I'll give it another week and see what's up.

OP I have been at this for a year and the increases have only happened in the last 6 months once I increased the calories levels to where I am now. I was like you after the first week, full and not enjoying it. However you get used to it and it becomes kinda fun seeing how much you can actually eat and how all that extra eating helps in the gym. Don't be looking at short term results, its more about the long term results.
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    35 days strong, I can attest that the scale started working (lol), and clothes fit looser after a month of health(ier) eating and regular exercise.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    35 days strong, I can attest that the scale started working (lol), and clothes fit looser after a month of health(ier) eating and regular exercise.

wrong thread my friend.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Finished a 6 month bulk recently. (Currently cutting.) I didn't bother to get on the scale until a month later after I started, or check bf% for another additional 2 weeks later. A week is two soon to expect any demonstrable change.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    • It's a lot of food
    I see this come up on the gaining weight threads as a negative (and not just from people with EDs). This sounds awesome though. Is it really that much of a struggle to eat? Is it a mental thing? As in, you've spent so much time dieting down you're afraid your results will disappear or something? For me, I long for the day, which may never come, where I have a license to eat at a surplus for a while.

over eating for a few days is one thing.

Over eating for months on end is a totally different ball of wax. i'ts hard- you're body doesn't WANT to do that- most people have the ability to self regulate and the body will happily find homeostasis. So forcing it to over eat consistently isn't comfortable.

So yes- it becomes a chore- a burden and it's not fun. Which is kind of why it's so effing annoying with people come in here regularly and go ";man I wish I had that problem" or "boo whooo for you"

its' rude- and if you haven't done it- you don't know what it's like. It's like us going into the "general weight loss" section and going- oh must be nice- you're eating at a deficit- boo hoo you getting to look cut and lean.

If we did that- the whole crowd would be in a complete uproar.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    • It's a lot of food
    I see this come up on the gaining weight threads as a negative (and not just from people with EDs). This sounds awesome though. Is it really that much of a struggle to eat? Is it a mental thing? As in, you've spent so much time dieting down you're afraid your results will disappear or something? For me, I long for the day, which may never come, where I have a license to eat at a surplus for a while.

Over eating for months on end is a totally different ball of wax. i'ts hard- you're body doesn't WANT to do that- most people have the ability to self regulate and the body will happily find homeostasis. So forcing it to over eat consistently isn't comfortable.

So yes- it becomes a chore- a burden and it's not fun. Which is kind of why it's so effing annoying with people come in here regularly and go ";man I wish I had that problem" or "boo whooo for you"

its' rude- and if you haven't done it- you don't know what it's like. It's like us going into the "general weight loss" section and going- oh must be nice- you're eating at a deficit- boo hoo you getting to look cut and lean.

heh, kinda true
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    • It's a lot of food

To be honest, when I went from a certain calorie level to the one I am at now, yeah it was a struggle for the first week because it was so much damn food. It takes time to get used mentally and physically. Your brain is telling you no no more food. I'm used to it now but if I go away for a weekend or something like that and eat less than my normal amount, takes a day or two to get used to all the food again.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    • It's a lot of food

Part of it is yeah, I'm coming from a strong "diet" eat at a deficit mindset.

The other part is though... When you listen to your body's signals that say "Hey, enough!" and you're still low for the day, that's daunting. To me, at least. I still check out restaurant menus beforehand and I go in knowing "I *have* to eat this whole thing or else I'm going to have to eat more later".

You could throw a pint of ice cream on every day too, and I think some people do. I can't bring myself to do that and even ice cream is unpleasant when you're really full.

As everyone else has said though, it's only been a week for me.

• JoRocka
    Options
    • It's a lot of food

Yeah but I have done it. Sure, in an uncontrolled manner while not doing any sort of exercise at all but I consistently overate daily for years. I'm not trying to be rude but it's just fascinating to have two really different point of views. I just want to understand it. Maybe I'm just naturally a high volume eater and have to work at limiting the same way someone else may have to work at eating a high volume. A couple weeks ago I remember a thread where a discussion on ice cream serving sizes came up. For me I just can't imagine not eating a whole pint at a time. I mean, why only part of the pint? A pint container seems tiny. So I just don't eat ice cream often and when I do I eat the pint. The thought of being able to do this nightly sounds awesome, assuming 1200 extra calories are in order.
    People who over eat daily- to the point of making themselves extremely over weight (and I'm not saying this is you specifically{) but many times there is an emotional aspect- or mental issue at hand- and that over rules the body's natural self check mechanism.

It's clear and proven that people who get absurdly over weight are not suffering from food/hunger issues- it's way beyond that.

Some people tend to be okay eating significantly more food- not every single body is chemically the same- but people who over eat so much to gain regularly at that rate- with no engaged though about their healthy and fitness are actively ignoring their bodies signals- and or have deep emotional/mental issues.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    • It's a lot of food

Part of it is yeah, I'm coming from a strong "diet" eat at a deficit mindset.

The other part is though... When you listen to your body's signals that say "Hey, enough!" and you're still low for the day, that's daunting. To me, at least. I still check out restaurant menus beforehand and I go in knowing "I *have* to eat this whole thing or else I'm going to have to eat more later".

You could throw a pint of ice cream on every day too, and I think some people do. I can't bring myself to do that and even ice cream is unpleasant when you're really full.

As everyone else has said though, it's only been a week for me.

Keith you sound a lot like me as I do the exact same thing when I go to a restaurant, I will check out what is on the menu, log what I'm going to have, see how much (hopefully none) calories I have left and say great have to eat more. I am also the same as you when it comes to Ice Cream.
  • keithcw_the_first
    Options
    Two weeks in at this point:
    • Still seems like a lot of food. It's not as bad, and it doesn't feel like a binge like I thought it would because if I had been on binge I would have stopped already. It feels more like an occasionally enjoyable chore.
    • I increased my volume at the gym again and pulled (just once!) 340 on the deadlift. For me, that's a PR.
    • Calipers indicate fat gain is marching in lock step with lean mass and might actually be out-pacing it.
    • Photo shows no change.
    • Waist measurement is actually down a half inch and I'm noticing increased vascularity in some areas.

Over the last 30 days, which extends past this bulk, I've averaged 2800 calories a day. Over the course of the bulk, such as it is, I've averaged about 3200. This changes between rest days and workout days.

My rolling 14 day average weight is up about 1.5 lbs since April 6th, and my scale weight since then is up 3 pounds. So that's either 1.5 lbs a week or .75 pounds a week or somewhere in the middle.

Verdict: Too soon to tell. I'm going to continue doing what I'm doing until I can tell I'm definitely putting weight on too fast, as determined by the rolling 14 day average. I'm also enjoying daily weigh-ins because seeing the scale swing 5 or 6 pounds in both directions from day to do is an interesting exercise in self-control and anxiety management.