Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

What to do?

Have had the sleeve for a week.. All good mild pain when I move wrong or drink too fast.. But the hunger cravings ( mental ) are a real bugger.. Never realized how much I compensated for with stuffing my face? Feels like a real raw nerve has been exposed and I just want my comfort foods.. Any suggestions out there??

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Isn't it interesting when you can observe yourself a bit? the mental part of weight loss is definitely the most difficult. Do you have options to distract yourself mentally? I think you are still recovering but maybe a slow walk? A movie? can you enjoy a hard candy for some flavor? I find Werther's sugar free caramels (hard candy) a nice sweet distraction. Good luck to you!
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    I haven't had weight loss surgery, so I can't necessarily understand what you're feeling compared to what the rest of us go through when cutting calories.

But I did want to say that eventually, you're going to have to come to terms with what drives you to eat when you're not really physically hungry. That's true of all of us, no matter what method we're using to lose weight (I'm dealing with it now, in fact).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Feels like a real raw nerve has been exposed and I just want my comfort foods.. Any suggestions out there??

What has worked for me (I don't have the sleeve, but struggle with emotional eating that sounds like what you are describing, and stuffed my feelings with booze for years before that) are a few things:

First, and most important, try to force yourself to sit with the feelings. It sucks, but you learn that it's okay to feel them, and that terror of doing so is an overreaction by your mind. Sometimes mediating or listening to music helps.

Second, and related, I found journaling helped (sorry if this sounds kind of touchy-feely). Sometimes it could just be data-oriented, what was doing on, why I thought I was stressed or whatever, the specifics of why and when I felt like I wanted to eat; sometimes it would be more substantive, writing what I feel which is sometimes easier for me than feeling it.

Third, having other activities or ways of addressing some of the feelings--going for a walk or exercise or being out in nature (or all three!), music again, whatever things seem appealing to you.

It does pass once you learn it's not as scary as it feels, IME. It sometimes comes back, but gets a lot better.