Looking for friends with limitations (ankle break here/long recovery)

Options
busyPK
busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
Hi! I've been on MFP before, and lost 30lbs (woohoo), unfortunately my life got a little crazy and I put 20lbs back on within the last 1.5 years. I am now ready to start again, but would love to find some friends (with open diaries) who share some physical limitations.

For me, I broke my ankle in 2 spots 6 months ago, had extensive surgery that leaves me with a plate and 9 screws. I still walk with a slight limp and high impact exercise is challenging. I use to run 3-6 miles, 3 times a week and LOVED it, but my ankle isn't ready for that. I feel sort of lost at what exercise to do, but know for me to lose weight I need to exercise (it helps me eat better, I cannot just watch calories and drop weight). Please respond here with any limitations you have and friend me!! Thanks :)

Replies

• scarry3440
    Options
    Hi,

I had tendinitis in my ankle and it got to the point where I couldn't do the boot camp that I liked because the side to side motion aggravated it. Just walking was aggravating it. I had been told the only way to heal it was to stay off of it but that wasn't possible until recently.

I've gotten a brace and it helps with the walking I'm just having trouble motivating myself and have been looking for a workout buddy to nudge me so I can get back into a routine.
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi @busyPK - I was in an accident about 10 years and broke my Tibia and Fibula in right leg and messed up my L4 and L5 in back. I currently have a titanium rod in my Tibia from knee to ankle; held together with 4 screws. I could still exercise pretty well until a few years ago when I got a stress fracture in right leg Tibia. Now, I have a hard time doing high impact exercises. Some days I can hardly walk due to the pain in my leg, and I normally have a limp as well. Last year I did train for a half marathon, but practiced the run/walk method. If I run one day, I cannot run again for 2 days. I refuse to let my leg hold me back completely, even though it stumps me some.

Currently, I am doing the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. I have learned how to protect and favor my right leg with some of the jumping and lunges. I just brace up my leg and ankle and do what I can.

Have you tried cycling? That is the one thing that helped me get back into shape after my accident. I still love it. It is so much easier on my back and legs; not so high impact but you get great results.
  • CJMatt66
    CJMatt66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would suggest some form of yoga, especially a power yoga that increases heart rate without high impact and also builds muscle and flexibility. Try out a class, talk with the instructor about your limits and he/she should be able to help you modify workouts to strengthen your ankle without straining. If they are too gung ho about prioritizing "achieving the position" over helping you meet your goals, leave and find someone else. I have a great instructor (part of DDP Yoga, if you want to google that and see it.) Yes, DDP Yoga has an annoying infomercial, and the ads are over the top - but it is very effective. There are probably many other types out there that are similar. I used to have a lot of problems with my knee when walking or running, and strengthening my quads through yoga took care of that. Good luck - It is frustrating to be sidelined!
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old at home, does that count as a limitation :-) between working and taking care of him in the evenings its hard to find time to work out or buy healthy food !
  • busyPK
    Options
    I have a 2 year old at home, does that count as a limitation :-) between working and taking care of him in the evenings its hard to find time to work out or buy healthy food !

haha yes it does! I have 3 kids, 5 years old and younger, so I relate. :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    Hi! I've been on MFP before, and lost 30lbs (woohoo), unfortunately my life got a little crazy and I put 20lbs back on within the last 1.5 years. I am now ready to start again, but would love to find some friends (with open diaries) who share some physical limitations.

For me, I broke my ankle in 2 spots 6 months ago, had extensive surgery that leaves me with a plate and 9 screws. I still walk with a slight limp and high impact exercise is challenging. I use to run 3-6 miles, 3 times a week and LOVED it, but my ankle isn't ready for that. I feel sort of lost at what exercise to do, but know for me to lose weight I need to exercise (it helps me eat better, I cannot just watch calories and drop weight). Please respond here with any limitations you have and friend me!! Thanks :)

Damn I know the feels, had a fib/talus fracture back in 2012, which led to a plate, pin, and four screws.

Post-op, the doc told me I could do basically whatever I wanted for PT. I asked about lifting weights (had never done that before), and he said it was cool. At the time, I was still limping a bit, getting some pain going up/down stairs, etc.

My dorsiflexion was really limited when I first started. I did bodyweight squats for about a month to really work on gaining flexibility. Now I'm hitting 260 and not looking back.

I'd suggest that anything which helps you increase flexibility in the joint would be your best bet, followed by re-developing your stabilizer muscles. Low impact at first, definitely. After a while you should be able to get back to running pretty easily. I love backpacking and finally got back on the trail last summer. The only difference is that now I need a slightly larger shoe for my left foot (I wear wide in hiking boots now) :tongue:

Ofc, don't take MFP advice over your doc's!
  • busyPK
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »
    Damn I know the feels, had a fib/talus fracture back in 2012, which led to a plate, pin, and four screws.

Post-op, the doc told me I could do basically whatever I wanted for PT. I asked about lifting weights (had never done that before), and he said it was cool. At the time, I was still limping a bit, getting some pain going up/down stairs, etc.

My dorsiflexion was really limited when I first started. I did bodyweight squats for about a month to really work on gaining flexibility. Now I'm hitting 260 and not looking back.

I'd suggest that anything which helps you increase flexibility in the joint would be your best bet, followed by re-developing your stabilizer muscles. Low impact at first, definitely. After a while you should be able to get back to running pretty easily. I love backpacking and finally got back on the trail last summer. The only difference is that now I need a slightly larger shoe for my left foot (I wear wide in hiking boots now) :tongue:

Ofc, don't take MFP advice over your doc's!

Thank you! My doctor said to stay low impact until it's been about a year (6 months now). I miss running so badly, but just need to realize I can still get that same high from other forms of exercise.
  • Les_B_FitNotFat
    Les_B_FitNotFat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi, and sorry to hear about your accident. I too struggle to lose weight without exercise. I've had 3 discs removed in my back and a partial knee replacement. (Arthritis) I still manage to gym and do classes always choosing low impact exercise. Our local gym does a pro flex class run by my coach at ArenaFitness . His classes are fully scalable, I have learnt that you can adapt to anything, it just takes a little creativity sometimes.....and whatever you can manage to do you will always lap the person sat on the couch.
  • busyPK
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I dragged myself to the gym after work yesterday and did 35 minutes on the elliptical. My ankle was only a bit sore afterwards and now, but overall it was a great workout. I need to learn to alter my mindset that jogging is what I really want to do, and be happy I can exercise using machines like the elliptical and stationary bike. :)
  • FairhavenDS
    FairhavenDS Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in a similar boat. I fractured my ankle twice in the space of a year a few years back which has caused some long term issues, and have 3 herniated discs in my lower back at the moment. I'm going to be spending most of my time doing low-impact exercises like stationary bikes, elliptical, and rowing machines as well as exercises for my ankles and back until I build up the core strength to run again.
  • HeatherBrown4
    Options
    Hi! :-)

I am in the exact same scenario.

I injured my spine and my knee and had to give up my skating. Thus I gained back 3 stone. :(

I am trying to start small and walking for an hour a day and plan to build up. Good luck in your goals!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    busyPK wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I dragged myself to the gym after work yesterday and did 35 minutes on the elliptical. My ankle was only a bit sore afterwards and now, but overall it was a great workout. I need to learn to alter my mindset that jogging is what I really want to do, and be happy I can exercise using machines like the elliptical and stationary bike. :)

Awesome to hear. Give some bodyweight squats a shot when you feel up to it. That will really ramp up the flexibility :sunglasses:
  • rdfaye
    rdfaye Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    In a similar situation. I had a total knee replacement 6 weeks ago, and have just been okayed to walk outside for exercise. No high impact, and I still have a ton of stiffness. I also have rheumatoid arthritis, which causes a lot of issues with maintaining an exercise schedule.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I have slipped lower disk in My back from a car accident that I got into about two months ago...accident and this weekend I pulled a muscle :s I hope I can start working out again Monday. .feel free to add me
  • nicolejo143
    nicolejo143 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Last year I severely sprained my ankle. I had to go to physical therapy, after 8 weeks I was almost done...and then I stepped on a crack and re-sprained it! In total I had 4 months of physical therapy and 6 months off of running, and then I still had to slowly get back into my running routine. I am better now, but I completely understand what you are going through! I still have weak ankles and probably always will. I actually had another minor sprain last month but it healed in 2 weeks luckily. I am really careful now when I run and avoid bumpy surfaces and mud, but I've had a few close calls.

I think that strength training is good to focus on for exercise until you're more healed up, but for cardio you can do shadow boxing, or punch a punching bag. Don't push your ankle if it hurts. Listen to your doctor/physical therapist. Watch your step! That's my advice.
  • busyPK
    Options
    Update...I am now slowing jogging!! This is huge for me as my doctor thought I would need another 3 months at the very least. I'm slow, but I'm finally feeling like myself again. :)
  • rowantb
    rowantb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I dislocated my shoulder resulting in a trapped nerve about three years ago. My weights always yo-yo'd but since this i've found it hard to work out like I used to because of the pain and worry that I'll 'set it off' again. When I do set it off I'm in pain for up to two weeks etc. So now I've basically feel unfit and struggle to get back into a rhythm with a workout routine.

I'm only on my first week here but seem to already be able to see the advantages of using this app and can't wait to continue using it. Being able to keep under my calorie count effortlessly, just need to hone in my diet a bit more and try and get a balance of nutrients and vitamins I think.

Looking for some people to connect with for support and inspiration really!