This is why I weigh packaged food!

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
I'm more and more amazed every time I do it...

Today so far - a bagel from Trader Joe's. Serving size is 85g, my bagel weighed 98g = 35 more calories. A snack from Graze - serving size is 40g, it weighed 45g (surprisingly low difference for Graze) = 28 more calories.

So that's 63 extra calories just this morning. I'm not planning on having more packaged food today but if I did, I could undo most of my deficit because of it... The low carb tortillas I use are typically 10 more calories, the bread 10-15 more calories at least for two slices, Quest bars up to 20 more calories... it really adds up.

Bottom line = weigh everything. Some things will be pretty much spot on every time, but some things are always way off, so it really adds up in the end (Graze snacks are always way off, the flapjacks are typically 60+ more calories than what the nutrition info says!).

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    I need to tighten up my weighing. I tend not to weigh things that are pre-portioned into servings for me, like frozen turkey burgers or single serving snacks.
  • breathless575
    breathless575 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've noticed with canned soup, the label says 2 servings, but when I weigh it, it is more like 1 and 1/2.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Wow. I have only weighed bulk foods not prepackaged. That can add up VERY quickly!!!!!!
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I have a local bakery that sells rolls to supermarkets. The NI says 1 roll = 2.6 oz = 90 calories. I weighed the 6 rolls in the package -- 3 were 3 oz, 2 were 2 7/8 oz, 1 was 2 3/4 oz. I took the smallest, but entered it as 1.1 servings (2.75/2.6 = 1.05). I love these rolls, but hate that they're always over!! I also spot weigh my light bread -- most of the time 2 slices is within a gram or 2 of the correct weight, but occasionally it's more (or less --the heel, for example). I notice that the slices are not always uniform.

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    My 2 slices of rye bread yesterday were supposed to be 50g, 140 cals. They were 76g, 213 cals. 73 extra cals, almost like I'd actually had 3 slices!

That said, it's a loaf style where the slices are varying sizes. They probably weigh the loaf and divide by slice number. If I ate the whole loaf myself throughout the week, and used 25g per slice, maybe it would average out (I don't know, I didn't weigh the loaf). But I don't eat it all myself, so it matters.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I have been trying to avoid doing this. Maybe it's time to start...sad face. I don't wanna weigh my quest bar :(
  • canoepug56
    canoepug56 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I find with canned tuna it's supposed to be 112gr drained.It's rarely more than 94gr so when protein needs are accounted for it's never really what I think it should be.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I weighed a Quest bar once, and it was right on the money. 60g. I haven't weighed them since because I figured they were right. Dang it.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I would not have thought that makers of pre-packaged foods would be allowed to be that much off the stated nutrition label details.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot since weighing that I was underestimating before. Thinks that said a serving was like 1/4 of something, I would divide up in to four equal looking sections but when I weigh it, it'll be much less than they weight listed as a serving. It makes a big difference when you are limiting calories, without a scale I woudln't know if I has having more or less than a serving and many times I was really short changing myself.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I've noticed with canned soup, the label says 2 servings, but when I weigh it, it is more like 1 and 1/2.

Yes I noticed that too! Tuna too... it's always less.
    I weighed a Quest bar once, and it was right on the money. 60g. I haven't weighed them since because I figured they were right. Dang it.

I've had everything from 58g to 66g. I always curse when I end up with one that is 66g.
    BFDeal wrote: »
    I wonder how much this evens out over time. As in, today maybe your bagel was 13g too heavy but tomorrow maybe it will be 13g under. It seems to me this is the argument for a little cardio (or a little more cardio if one already does cardio) even though, and let's all repeat the official MFP heavy lifter chant together, "you don't need to do cardio." It would even out those discrepancies.

That's the thing though - it's almost never under. For bread slices, the only ones that are under are the ends of the loaf, otherwise it's always more. The tortillas I've been eating 5-6 times a week lately, out of 5 packages there was 1 that was under, maybe 5-6 that were the correct weight, and most were 2-3g more - I had a couple at 7g more (normal size is 62g). Good thing they are only 80 calories tortillas...

But yeah, those Graze snacks... gosh. Two days ago I had 270 calories left or something and decided to have a flapjack for dessert (supposed to be 230 calories) and I ended up 20 calories over after I weighed it. So annoying.

Oh and I had a square of chocolate with my coffee. The package says 1 serving is 40g and 4 squares. Except a square is 16g. That is a pretty huge difference when a serving is 240 calories!

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Ugh. I have been trying to avoid doing this. Maybe it's time to start...sad face. I don't wanna weigh my quest bar :(

IME protein bars are usually pretty spot on, off by maybe a gram. Haven't had Quest bars but I've had some other brands and they've never been all that off from the package! IME most items ARE actually off but there are a few rare examples of items that are actually the same weight as the package states.

Some things that I've had consistently be on the mark +/-1 gram: plain rice cakes, most protein bars, most individually wrapped pieces of chocolate (those I still weigh because calorie dense) and candy, jello packets, canned tuna (based on weight with liquid because draining will never be the same each time)..... I think that's about it actually. Sometimes some of my faux bacon is on the mark but most items are over. Except sometimes my GF blueberry muffins are under by a few g.
    canoepug wrote: »
    I find with canned tuna it's supposed to be 112gr drained.It's rarely more than 94gr so when protein needs are accounted for it's never really what I think it should be.
    Maybe you should weigh it pre-drained because.... you are probably just over-draining it. Never had this issue with two different canned brands.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    862136.gif
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    862136.gif

This.
  • PeachyPlum
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

That's the thing though - it's almost never under.

Yeah. When I was in college I worked for a company that makes checkweighers, which are the high-speed scales used in food manufacturing to check the weight of the finished packages.

Having set up scales for a variety of companies, I can tell you that they are super concerned that the package not be underweight, because god forbid somebody weighed their food when they got home and found out the company had shorted them a few grams, which could get them in legal trouble.

If a package is under, it automatically gets kicked out as a reject.

They are a little concerned about the packages being over, because that means they're giving away free food. But they aren't going to reject a package that's over (unless it's way over, which would suggest a foreign object had ended up in the package), because that would be throwing away perfectly good product, and who's going to complain about getting extra food at no extra cost.

The data from packages being over gets sent back to the filling machine so they can't dial it in and stop giving away free food. But the overweight packages still get shipped.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

Yeah. When I was in college I worked for a company that makes checkweighers, which are the high-speed scales used in food manufacturing to check the weight of the finished packages.

Having set up scales for a variety of companies, I can tell you that they are super concerned that the package not be underweight, because god forbid somebody weighed their food when they got home and found out the company had shorted them a few grams, which could get them in legal trouble.

They are a little concerned about the packages being over, because that means they're giving away free food. But they aren't going to reject a package that's over (unless it's way over, which would suggest a foreign object had ended up in the package), because that would be throwing away perfectly good product, and who's going to complain about getting extra food at no extra cost.

The data from packages being over gets sent back to the filling machine so they can't dial it in and stop giving away free food. But the overweight packages still get shipped.
    This just means more donut for me. No complainin' here.
  • jmule24
    jmule24 Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

When you look at canned foods, uncle bens rice packets, etc... You'll notice at the bottom they tell you what the "Net Wt." is..... I'm confident many know how to figure out the rest of the equation.........

• PeachyPlum
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    PeachyPlum wrote: »

This just means more donut for me. No complainin' here.

Me either!

But just some information for the folks that assume it averages out over time with some packages being under and some over. It probably doesn't.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    In for being too lazy to weigh pre-packaged fud :mrgreen: