Slow & Steady: Close to Goal Weight Friends?

Options
I've realized that if I want to make getting to goal weight a life-time achievement, I need to make my changes that are part of my lifestyle and not a crash-course.

As such, I've started exercising early in the morning (as its the only time I can consistently commit), using mostly 30-min strength and HIIT blend videos (following a Fitness Blender program currently) and I'm really enjoying it!

I've also set my weight-loss goal to 0.5 lbs/week... anything more than that I feel like I'm starving myself and I just give up (and eat much more). I've been a week at this level, and I'm feeling satisfied and energetic, and I'm getting better at hitting my macros (weekends still need improvement though! Darn easter candy!). I have been eating back my exercise calories (although I have been recording them conservatively, IMO).

It feels great. I feel like I will get to where I want to be this way, with more energy and a true improvement in my health. And if it takes a bit longer - so what - the time is going to pass anyway - I'd rather go slow and succeed than go fast and crash.

My stats:
5'4" female, 36 yo, desk job
SW: 154 (this time around)
CW: 152
GW: 145 (healthy BMI -- 1st goal)

I do not have the build to be skinny, I just want to be healthy, fit and feel better in my skin & clothes.

Are there others like me -- close to goal weight and getting there on the slow & steady path? Looking for motivation and accountability! Maybe we could start a thread here, or a group?

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm in the same boat as you. Reading this thread over and over is really helping me understand what I need to be doing to help my weight loss:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/113609/relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner/p1

My stats:
    5'5", 44, desk job
    SW: 155
    CW: 154
    GW: 140 (I think)
  • GettingJennFit
    GettingJennFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm the same! 5'4", started at 181 but now I'm at 150. My first goal is to get to 145 (or just a hair under), then 141, with my ultimate goal weight around 136.

I've been at 150 for a month, which is why I joined my fitness pal, so I could use all the motivation I can get to drop those last few pounds and get into the healthy range.
  • jetortola
    jetortola Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    @strong_curves Thanks for that link, I started to read through it and it makes sense - not ALL of it is what I want to hear, but what I'm starting to understand is reality!

@jleavittcruz Congrats on your success so far! We are sooooo close to that healthy BMI range! I know its not the be-all-and-end-all measurement of health, but it sure bugs me to be considered "overweight" by any measurement...
  • suzcarlon85
    suzcarlon85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    5'7" 30 stay at home mommy.
    SW 180 (started this app at 178)
    CW 175
    GW 155

Ughhh it's such a long process. I'm British and moved to Arkansas (south) so gained a load of weight with all the yummy food and fried stuff haha. Also no one walks anywhere here so I really need to shift another 20lbs. Good luck
  • tegtmeyerd
    tegtmeyerd Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm similar, and it's tough when it's only a few pounds. Unfortunately the number on the scale keeps going up instead of down. Exercising just turns me into a bottomless-pit!

5'7" 38, desk job
    SW 160ish (stopped looking at scale)
    CW 152
    GW 140
  • jetortola
    Options
    Glad to have some new accountability buddies!

If you exercise, what do you do?

I'm following an 8-week Fitness Blender program (Fat Loss for Busy People), which is basically ~30 mins x 5-6 days a week (I've been getting up at 5:30 am weekdays to get it done and checked off!). I just started week 4 today, and I'm really enjoying it!
  • kaclever
    kaclever Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I've been trying to shed a few pounds since February 1st and I'm getting really discouraged, so this is great.

5'2.75", 31, desk job
    SW 123 (on old dial scale)
    CW 122.4 (on new and more precise scale which unfortunately added a couple of pounds when I switched to it)
    GW 116

I was seeing very slow but consistent losses after I got a FitBit and linked it to MFP and also started using the digital scale. I was 119.8 last Wednesday, so I'm hoping that a lot of this is pre-cycle weight. I'm trying to lose 0.5 lb/week.
  • Ladunn4
    Ladunn4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    5'7" 30 stay at home mommy.
    SW 180 (started this app at 178)
    CW 175
    GW 155

Ughhh it's such a long process. I'm British and moved to Arkansas (south) so gained a load of weight with all the yummy food and fried stuff haha. Also no one walks anywhere here so I really need to shift another 20lbs. Good luck

• GettingJennFit
    GettingJennFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    @jojoeastcoast I signed up for a 10k in July, so I downloaded a couch-to-10k app on my phone. It has me run 3x a week, right now for only about 31 minutes (I'm in week 5) in run/walk intervals but it's a 14 wk program, so eventually I'll get up to an hour or so a run.

I also do Bikram yoga once a week which is 90 minutes in a room heated to 105°F and high humidity.
    I have 17.5lb weights, resistance bands, and a pull-up bar for my door frame. Unfortunately my strength exercises are infrequent and irregular, but I'm trying to at least do push ups every day. I need to work my way up to do pull-ups so I'm trying to do more strength training.
  • jetortola
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way...

@jleavittcruz That is a great fitness goal, to run 10K! I am sooooo not a runner (I blame it on a knee injury, but that's just my convenient excuse, I never enjoyed it even as a kid). I am planning to try Bikram yoga soon with some girlfriends, a local studio has a Friday night 'karma class' where you drop-in and pay only $5. I'm looking forward to giving it a try, and maybe making it part of my weekly routine!

@kaclever I've been wanting to make the switch to a digital scale, but have put it off because I'm scared I will weigh in heavier on it, lol -- I know that's silly, I am what I am no matter what the scale says.

@suzcarlon85 That's a big move! I'm in Canada, but its the same, people may walk for exercise but very few do it for transportation. Our cities/towns are too sprawled out! Unless you live and work in a downtown core or something...

@tegtmeyerd Other than the fact you have 3" on me, lol, we're in a very similar place. I love that exercise allows me to eat more, but it is hard to reign it in (its fuel!)
  • babetoto
    babetoto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would like to join in here. I don't know where I belong in these posts, but I like the sound of you guys. Last year I lost 15 lbs very slow and steady over 7 months for my daughters wedding. Have now gained 7 lbs back and am not liking it. I loved the way my clothes fit last summer. So with that, I am now starting back on an excercise routine of 5 days per week of at least 30 min per day. Walking, swimming, yoga, or weights. ( p.s. not liking my age, but working to accept it) I know consider the alternative. :D

5' 3" 64 y/o (yikes)
    SW 145
    CW 137
    GW 130
  • itstimeRK
    itstimeRK Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    5'5'' 26, self-employed

SW: 195
    CW: 155
    GW: 130 -135 ish

I've lost 40 lbs so far on MFP and am looking to lose 20-25 more. I've been working on getting fit and losing my extra weight since November, 2014 and have lost an average of 1.8 lbs a week (of course some weeks I lose a bit more than others). My diary is open and I eat somewhat healthy but still eat pizza sometimes. I'm always happy to meet new people on MFP as it seems people sometimes come and go from the app fairly quickly.

The Fitness Blender videos I have done from youtube are great!
  • jetortola
    Options
    @itstimeRK You have made great progress! Wow!

I'm excited to see my scale moving in the right direction... I find it stalls for a bit and then BOOM it drops a couple of pounds. Trying not to eat at night is a huge help too! Making my official weigh in on Mondays to try to keep me in line on the weekends... This weekend I have a Friday evening book club and a Sunday baby shower - it's going to be tough! Weather is getting so much nicer though, so should be outside and active with the kids! :)
  • kaclever
    kaclever Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @jojoeastcoast, I always try to fill my snack plate up with tons of veggie sticks (without dip) at shower-type events. They usually have things like that set out as hors d'oerves. I crunch away on those for as long as possible. It makes it easier to hit the rest of the spread in moderation, and I feel good about myself for eating vegetables. :) Good luck!
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    5'3", 30 SAHM
    Sw 205
    Cw 152
    Gw 144 to start
    I am on every day, and loss has been sooooo slow lately. Getting closer though!
  • jetortola
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @arkowalyshyn You've made amazing progress!

@kaclever There were no veggies at book club, just sweets, sweets and more sweets! I indulged a bit but passed on wine, and said no to icecream cake and donut holes! Hopefully the baby shower on Sunday has some healthier options!
  • tashiros
    tashiros Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's hard to stay away from those things that we know are not good for us but we still like them been there many times at work but I just had to tell myself that they don't control me I do :)
  • jetortola
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I managed ok this weekend! Had a few treats, but was fairly active as well, so it balances out. :)

Down 1lb this week to 151lbs (6 lbs from goal). Half-way through my 8 week fitness blender program as well and still loving it (and realizing I now have to really push myself to get the most of a workout!).

How is everyone else doing?
  • ejuniper
    ejuniper Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    172cm, 35, desk job
    SW 194lb
    CW 188lb
    GW 165lb - that would get me pretty close to a healthy BMI and I figure that's a healthy aim.

I gained weight with pregnancy as I had some complications and ended up in a wheelchair for 6 months (3 months of those post birth). I have struggled a bit physically since, so the majority of my weight problem is from lack of general movement and medication. I started a new job a month ago and was forced to get more mobile due to location. I got a Fitbit and challenged myself daily to try and get to 10,000 steps. I started at around 1,500 steps, and now most days hit or come close to hitting my goal, so I've come leaps and bounds since then!

My motto is 'slow and steady' as I have no other options! Feel free to add me! :)
  • jetortola
    Options
    @ejuniper That is such a great accomplishment to go from wheelchair bound to 10,000 steps a day! I wore a pedometer for a while for a work challenge, and I found I would start off strong (getting the kids up, ready and out the door) and then I sit on my butt for 8+ hours, and then have a little bump with doing dishes/making lunches/etc... But I never, EVER, hit 10,000 steps! I would like to get a fitbit to see if it would motivate me a bit more to get there!