Apple Cider Vinegar, the TRUTH

Options
Justygirl77
Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Curious about apple cider vinegar, wondering if you should use it for more than salad dressing?
Here's one reason you might want to eat this food.
I will give a simple outline of this study.

Here is a simple study (it's a short read, don't be intimidated).
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/1/281.full

In the first paragraph, they inform you that "In the present report, we assessed the effectiveness of vinegar in reducing postprandial glycemia and insulinemia in subjects with varying degrees of insulin sensitivity."

Postprandial = after meal
Insulinemia = abnormally large concentration of insulin in the blood
Insulin Sensitivity = describes how sensitive the body is to the effects of insulin. Someone who is said to be insulin sensitive will require smaller amounts of insulin to lower blood glucose levels than someone who has low sensitivity.

The next paragraph describes the individuals in the group they were testing, and how the vinegar and food were administered, basically how the test was conducted. Subjects (the folks being tested) were fasting, then given a vinegar dilution, then followed by a small but high-carb meal.

The third paragraph it shows the results of the administration of 50g of vinegar dilution on the insulin sensitivity of the subjects.
Notice that, for example, the postmeal insulin sensitivity of insulin-resistant subjects was raised (by comparison to the non-diabetic, insulin-sensitive control group).
Even subjects with type 2 diabetes showed some improvement of insulin sensitivity.
Notice also that "Postprandial fluxes in insulin were significantly reduced by vinegar in control subjects, and postprandial fluxes in both glucose and insulin were significantly reduced in insulin-resistant subjects" (end of third paragraph).

CONCLUSION
The last paragraph the study concludes that vinegar has the ability to significantly improve insulin sensitivity in resistant people, and that it seems to have effects that are similar to drugs. It concludes that it would be worth further investigation as an ANTI-DIABETIC THERAPY.

Replies

• Justygirl77
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Yes, thanks!:) Organic acids do have differing effects on our bodies, I picture those other acids you mentioned doing different things than whan acetic acid does. But I dunno.
    My take-away for this is to use it practically to support healthy blood sugar. I've not used it on a regular basis before, but I may start!
    I'm sure there are other prove-able benefits to ACV.

It seems the effect is pronounced, but note that the ACV was taken a couple minutes before the meal on an empty stomach, not mixed in with the meal.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Bump
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Perhaps this is why my kids always lost weight when they went through stretches of not being able to tell the truth. Or maybe it was from all the dancing around they did when they were made to drink the awfulness that is apple cider vinegar! lol In all seriousness, that is an interesting study. I think I remember reading about it before but it was lost from my memory. I will test it out on my next spike day to see if I notice an improvement in glycogen storage.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    lol!! Yes vinegar to help truthfulness lol! Taste-wise, the more complex flavor of raw apple cider vinegar is more appealing than the harsh industrially-produced jugs of the stuff. I am interested to hear about your results, I shall be trying it myself at some point!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I will keep you posted!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The study is interesting information, but holding it as the "TRUTH" in capital letters is rather silly.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It's a fad. Google scholar also lists a raft of articles about E-coli contamination of unpasteurized, natural apple cider.

Fiber also slows down the absorption of glucose.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    The study is interesting information, but holding it as the "TRUTH" in capital letters is rather silly.
    This

Did she even read her own post?
    CONCLUSION
    The last paragraph the study concludes that vinegar has the ability to significantly improve insulin sensitivity in resistant people, and that it seems to have effects that are similar to drugs. It concludes that it would be worth further investigation as an ANTI-DIABETIC THERAPY.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Interesting study. If vinegar is somehow affecting glucose uptake, why did it NOT affect glucose uptake in diabetes patients? The p-value of 0.149 suggests that this effect may not be real (click on the figure). In clinical trials, p-value should be less than 0.05 to show a positive effect. Also, the number of subjects in each arm is too small to draw serious conclusions.
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    Thanks for your responses!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Bump
  • Justygirl77
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    This

Did she even read her own post?
    CONCLUSION

Yes, I was providing a paragraph-by-paragraph brief outline of this study. I think the study was affirming the choice to invest in further investigation, based on the affirmative results obtained from this study.