Gained a pound!

Options
Ive been consistently under my calorie goal and working out 6 days a week. I change up my workouts regularly. I've incorporated weights a lot more. I weigh myself every Monday morning when I get up and found I gained almost a whole pound! How did this happen??

Replies

• DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    It happened because we all fluctuate everyday, sometimes by several pounds. It'll be gone in the next few days.
  • MegM128
    MegM128 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you. It's just frustrating. My goal is 6 more pound and to see it go up is discouraging.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    You increased your weights significantly and your body responded by retaining more water for muscle repair. It will go away but it may take from a few days to a week to go back.
  • MegM128
    Options
    Thank you! That's helpful to know!
  • RibStabsHeart
    RibStabsHeart Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day, and I'm not recommending you do the same, but I will say it's amazing how much your body fluctuates depending on what you eat. If I have something saltier/heavier in the evening (mexican food immediately springs to mind), my body seems to retain more water and make me stay the same weight/gain even when I work out hard that day. So even if you weigh yourself every monday at 9am, you might not be seeing what your true loss is.

I also notice that my body tends to hold onto more weight when I'm lifting/working out more. When I got sick last week and didn't work out for 4 days, I ended up losing an extra 2 lbs even though I was eating over maintenance and having tons of sugar/carbs. I didn't log it, cause I knew it was a temporary thing, but it's interesting seeing how your body reacts to different stimuli.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    You increased your weights significantly and your body responded by retaining more water for muscle repair. It will go away but it may take from a few days to a week to go back.

^^^Yep, and you don't have much weight to lose so weight shouldn't come off that quickly...it's going to be even less linear now. It makes as much sense (or more) to pay more to the tape measure and mirror than the scale right now.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    A WHOLE POUND!?!?!?!?!?!?! Your life is over! *sarcasm*

In all seriousness, everyone fluctuates daily. I can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs in either direction. This happens mostly due to water retention. I've been weighing myself every day and tracking my weight using Excel. The daily data points look like an erratic zig zaging line graph. However, the overall long term trend is a steady declining line.
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Someone may have said this but if you only have 6 more pounds to lose, then the weight is going to come off slower probably and gaining a pound is pretty normal. You should see my weight loss graph, it is far from linear. Don't freak yourself out, it happens to everyone :) Good luck!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Totally normal. And if you only have 6 more pounds to go, get used to seeing that scale go up and down and a fairly slow process. You should also start tracking your measurements if you aren't already - as you get closer to goal, often the progress is seen in inches while you're scale is busy bouncing around.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When starting a new exercise program, it's normal to retain water.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    1Lbs of fat is about 3500 cals, so unless you have eaten that much over your maintenance (TDEE etc) then it will not be a pound of fat. Its actually pretty hard to put on a pound of fat just like its pretty hard to loose it. The fluctuations will be water weight etc. I can put on 5Lbs (on the scale) in an evening if I go to a Chinease buffet. It's just the high sodium and water weight that returns to normal after a few days. I would not recommend weighing yourself every day.
  • MegM128
    Options
    Thank you everyone! Very helpful! I've never tried this hard before. Usually I get to a certain weight and either maintain or give up. This is the first time trying hard to lose the last 10lbs. I've lost 4 now hoping for the last 6. I appreciate all of the input!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Well done and best of luck. I'm sure you will reach your goal.