My Rack =)

Options
calibriintx
calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
My mom's husband made it for me. I thought he was just going to do the holes in the columns and then bring them to me to finish up, but he surprised me with it last night. Just need to install the racking pegs. They'll go where the spotter pins are now, and then another pair closer to the bench (which I still need). There are also holes at the top for a chin up bar. :smile: :smile: :smile:

If anyone is interested, these are the plans, although he made a few changes: http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/support-files/powerrackplan.pdf

33698522_494.jpg

33698522_529.jpg

Replies

• ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Nice. I like it. Buy that guy a beer. The one thing I might consider adding to that is some pegs on the outside of the rack on the top and bottom so you can hang bands and do inverse squats, etc. But what you have is a very clean design. Congrats.
  • StantonLeFort
    StantonLeFort Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Fantastic ... MacGyver does power racks! (old reference sorry!)
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    nice!!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    Wow, you've got a great rack!
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Super jealous
  • BenchPressingCats
    BenchPressingCats Posts: 1,826 Member
    Options
    Well, this was not what I was expecting... :laugh:

Nice rack! :wink:
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump

Need to show this to the husband and talk him into helping me make one!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I love your rack!
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a great rack. Do you happen to know the weight limit?
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Wow that is a great rack. Do you happen to know the weight limit?

I read that it's been tested up to 500 lbs. with the type of spotting pins recommended. If a higher limit is required, I think they recommended upgrading from pipe for the pins to cutting an old barbell in half and using that instead. But even with the pipes, they'd probably just bend, rather than fail. As far as the wood goes, it's a beast and has to weigh a few hundred pounds.
  • calibriintx
    Options
    Thanks for the complements on my rack. :wink: I think I'm going to cut a pool noodle in half and slide the pipes through them to cushion impact if I have to drop the bar.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I think I might just have to make myself one of these soon.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the complements on my rack. :wink: I think I'm going to cut a pool noodle in half and slide the pipes through them to cushion impact if I have to drop the bar.

If you want something less "kiddy" than the pool noodle, go to Home Depot and pick up some foam backer rod. They come in 4ft sticks and are used as pipe insulation. Not as thick as a pool noodle, but they have an adhesive strip along the split to help keep them on.
  • calibriintx
    Options

If you want something less "kiddy" than the pool noodle, go to Home Depot and pick up some foam backer rod. They come in 4ft sticks and are used as pipe insulation. Not as thick as a pool noodle, but they have an adhesive strip along the split to help keep them on.

But does it come in pink?

I'm kidding. :wink: Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check it out. I'm not sure it would work with adhesive though. There's not a lot of extra space in the holes so the pipes wouldn't clear them when I need to change position. I'd have to cut a pool noodle down the length to just slap them over the top. But I bet I could find some black pipe insulation that isn't sticky and could do the same with. Thinking of painting the whole thing black. Saw a pic of one painted and it looks really nice.

Edited for terrible spelling.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    HAH!

Nice "rack"

2sREC.gif
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i am turned on right now by your rack.
  • YoshiZelda
    YoshiZelda Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Amazing rack you have there. ;]
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I like that, not only is it functional, but it looks more pleasing that a load of welded metal too.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!! My scientist boyfriend does woodworking as a hobby. I am so going to have him make me one!!!