Recommendations for brands of yogurt with lower sugar?

Options
saschka7
saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
Does anyone know of any good brands of yoghurt they would recommend that's low(er) in sugar than the more typical brands? I've been swapping between Dannon Oikos and Chobani brands because of the higher protein but I'm not happy with the sugar levels.

Of course, I know that plain yoghurt has much lower sugar levels and I'm fine with mixing it with fruit while I'm at home, but for convenience sake, if there's a brand or 2 that others recommend, it would just be easier to take to work and eat quickly during my miniscule AM break if it's in one package.

Yes, I know a huge :laugh: problem...just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would love to know if there is a yogurt to meet this need also. But I believe any pre-flavored yogurt low in sugar will probably be full of artificial sweeteners. :( I personally use the chobani plain and mix in my own fruit/flavorings.

If you don't get any good suggestions, have you thought of trying to pre-mix your own on a Sunday afternoon? I buy the large container of chobani plain and frozen fruit or other add-ins. I got a bunch of those little plastic containers too. Then I just make one big operation on Sunday afternoon and pre-mix what I will need for the week and throw in the fridge. Not as convenient as buying the little containers that you can toss/recycle, but it is cheaper and does give you that grab-and-go option...
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Most of the Fage flavors have a couple grams less of sugar then the Chobani flavors. i usually prefer Fage except when the other brand are on sale. It's not a huge difference but every bit counts. I also frequently buy Fage plain and add my own honey. Fage plain with 2/3 tbsp honey = 12 grams of sugar. That compared to 19 grams in the Chobani pomegranate flavor or 16 grams in the Fage peach flavor.
  • hairspray2
    Options
    Kroger/ Baker's brand has Carbsmart yogurt. It has 3 - 4 grams of sugar and is very good-and has 8 grams protein!
  • JPEdgett
    JPEdgett Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Alpina Greek plain Yogurt with Granola. 170 calories, 6 grams of sugar and 16 grams of protein?
  • jennyc1270
    jennyc1270 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The dannon fit and light greek tends to have lower carbs and higher protein. Most of the flavors are good as well.
  • talksthetalk
    Options
    I was shocked at the high sugar content of most store-bought yogurt, so I decided to get the plain stuff and add my own jam. But after doing a bit of arithmetic, I'm not sure that makes sense. Here's what I found:

Fage Total 0% Greek Plain: 170g per container, 7g sugar, 100 kcal, 18g protein
    Fage Total 0% Greek Raspberry: 150g per container, 16g sugar, 120 kcal, 13g protein
    Stonewall Kitchen Raspberry Jam: 15g/serving, 7g sugar, 30kcal, 0g protein

Stonewall is an excellent brand, relatively low in sugar and without artificial sweeteners or other additives. Not cheap or easy to find, either.

Since all the protein is in the yogurt, we can determine that the raspberry yogurt contains 13/18 of the yogurt in the plain variety, or 123g. So let's see what happens if we add 27g of Stonewall's Jam, by multiplying all the nutrition facts in the plain yogurt by 13/18, and multiplying all the nutrition data in the jam by 27/15, and adding those together:

Dave's "Homemade" Raspberry Yogurt (using my non-patented "Fruit in Layers" method with some of the fruit on the bottom, some in the middle, and some on top): 150g, 17.6g sugar, 126 kcal, 13g protein

So what do I get by mixing my own? An additional 1.6 grams in a 5.3 oz (150g) serving, when compared with buying Fage off the shelf. Perhaps it's a better quality jam than what Fage uses, and I thought the "Fruit in Layers" concept was a cool idea - but it certainly isn't doing anything for my diet.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    100 calorie yoplait greek yogurt.

100 calorie chobani simply.

Dannon light & fit greek yogurt.
  • extraordinary_machine
    extraordinary_machine Posts: 3,028 Member
    Options
    I make my own Greek yogurt (plain, because we use it for other stuff than just yogurt), and then add some fresh fruit and about a tablespoon of honey. To me, at least, it's sweet enough and not super high in calories.
  • guardianwill
    guardianwill Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I now use dannon greek yogurt with peaches running about 80 calories. Before though I would go to Fred Meyers and by their CarbMaster yougurt. Very low in sugar and a wide variety of flavors.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I bought a yogurt maker and make my own.