Physical change, but the scale says no!

I've been doing lots of working out, eating healthy and all that. Physically, there has been a big change but when I step on the scale, nothing! Thoughts??

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Screw the scale. :wink:

You're experiencing what we call a Non-Scale Victory or NSV. These are physical changes you see even when the scale hasn't moved. Things like being able to get your wedding ring off for the first time in years, or tightening your belt by another notch, or fitting into your "skinny" jeans.

Sometimes due to things water retention or muscle gains, even though you've lost some fat the scale will read the same.

That's one of the reasons we recommend people take progress photos, so they can see how much their body has changed even if their weight hasn't.

By the way, congratulations! You must be doing something right!
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    A friend of mine has been losing inches all over the place (and I don't just mean things like 0.02 inches, which still counts of course) but the number on the scale just doesn't want to budge much.

Take a picture of yourself in a sports bra and shorts. Or a fairly snug tshirt and shorts, if just the bra isn't comfortable. Maybe take a few. In a month, wear the same outfit and take pictures again.

Get a soft measuring tape and record your measurements - bust, underbust, hips, waist, each thigh, ankles, wrists, forearms, neck whatever! Measure again in 2-4 weeks.

If your clothes are fitting better, you're making progress. The scale is a fickle, fickle thing. It's a single data point to be used to track an overall trend :)

~Lyssa