Are resistance bands a good sub for weights?

Options
RenaTX
RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
Hi there!

In Dec, 2014 I moved and then put my house on the market. I'm currently living in a house where the space if very limited but I'm in process of building a new one and I hope to be done by Aug.

I quit my gym in Dec since I now live too far from it and I have a planned area in my next house for a gym equipment.

Meanwhile I currently walk / jog outdoors for cardio but my free weights , bar bells etc are all in storage. Due to space issues I'm looking at resistance bands. Are these good substitutes for weightlifting since I don't have the space for a bunch of weights?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Might not build muscle (progressive overload is difficult) but it will help maintain what you have.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    Thank You! I forgot and was about to come back to add that I'm trying to lose weight so I know I can't build any muscle but I want to try and keep what little I have.

Thank You very much!
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands also under work the starting chain and over work the ending chain. This can lead to muscular imbalances. If you are just keeping up some maintenance, no big deal, but over extended period it can be an issue.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the advantage of your own body weight.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

To do some of the exercises suggested to me, I filled up a milk carton three-quarters full of water, and taped it shut good.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I would do some body weight work rather than bands
  • RenaTX
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Don't forget the advantage of your own body weight.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/

To do some of the exercises suggested to me, I filled up a milk carton three-quarters full of water, and taped it shut good.

Thank You!
  • RenaTX
    Options
    rybo wrote: »

Thanks. I Googled by weight work . I'll add it in but I'm curious as to why you say "rather" ?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I use resistance bands in addition to weights and bodyweight work, I find them very helpful for many exercises (mostly lower body)
  • RenaTX
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I use resistance bands in addition to weights and bodyweight work, I find them very helpful for many exercises (mostly lower body)

Thank you. That makes sense to me.

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to spend some money, you could buy a suspension trainer, like a TRX. They're nice for when you need to travel, too.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands alone aren't ideal but it's better than nothing if you're in a pinch. If you combined resistance bands with some bodyweight exercises and cardio you should be alright.
  • RenaTX
    Options
    rick_po wrote: »
    If you're willing to spend some money, you could buy a suspension trainer, like a TRX. They're nice for when you need to travel, too.

Those look nice! I think i'll save up for some. Thank you
  • RenaTX
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Resistance bands alone aren't ideal but it's better than nothing if you're in a pinch. If you combined resistance bands with some bodyweight exercises and cardio you should be alright.

Thanks. Yes thanks to you wonderful folks I have for the first time heard the term "bodyweight exercises". So glad I asked and yes I've been living under a rock ;) I'm going to print out a few to start out with while I weight for the resistance bands to come in.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »

Thanks. I Googled by weight work . I'll add it in but I'm curious as to why you say "rather" ?

Bodyweight is free and more efficient. If done properly, there's no need to supplement with bands
  • RenaTX
    Options

Bodyweight is free and more efficient. If done properly, there's no need to supplement with bands

Gotcha! Thank you very much!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options

wait what? no.