Your favorite lower calorie ice creams when a craving hits?

Options
Lately I've been binging (only last weekend) cause I'm craving ice cream and afraid to have it in the house. I looked up ben and jerrys and its like 300 cal for 1/2 cup! I remember seeing an ice cream my mom ate that was 120 per 1/2 cup, which would be great but I can't remember what brand. It wasnt a special 'low calorie, low fat' one, just normal ice cream.

So, TLDR; Whats the ice cream you eat when you get a craving?

Replies

• JessNelson_
    JessNelson_ Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Here is my solution to my ice cream cravings. Take your protein (i use gold standard whey, cookies and cream) and mix with plain, non-fat greek yogurt. Put the mixture in the freezer and remove every-2-3 minutes stir and replace until you get the ice cream texture you're looking for.

It really can help curve those cravings with non of the guilt!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Breyers No Sugar Added Mint Chip is delightful - 120 calories per 1/2 cup serving.
    If you have a Kroger near by their No Sugar Added, Lactose Free, Peanut Butter Fudge Swirl is great too at 130 calories per 1/2 cup serving.

Both taste just as good as 'regular' ice cream with much less impact on your day.

Also, if you have an Aldi near by, their 100 calorie Fit and Active Chocolate Ice Cream Bars are FANTASTIC for chocolate cravings.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I like those tiny little containers of Edy's slow churned, and also low-fat bars/sandwiches like Skinny Cow or Weight Watcher's brand.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like Edy's / Dreyer's Slow Churned, it has half the fat. I use a Dixie cup for serving (keeps portions small). French Silk....yum. In the fall they have a nice Pumpkin Spice flavor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Blue Bell Sugar Free Fat Free Dutch Chocolate 90 calories 1/2 cup and also the Country Vanilla. Don't really know it is sugar free.. Nom Nom Nom.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Here is my solution to my ice cream cravings. Take your protein (i use gold standard whey, cookies and cream) and mix with plain, non-fat greek yogurt. Put the mixture in the freezer and remove every-2-3 minutes stir and replace until you get the ice cream texture you're looking for.

It really can help curve those cravings with non of the guilt!

My protein powder is 130 calories, and a serving of my favorite (fat free) greek yogurt is about 130 as well. I can eat an amazing gelato for fewer calories than that.

I agree with the Edy's /Dreyer's slow churned. It tastes pretty good, and tends to hit the spot.

I've also recently discovered http://www.tasteforte.com/ and bought one of the ginger containers. I haven't gotten a chance to try it yet. We shall see...
  • chmill24
    chmill24 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Easy answer. Blue Bunny's Red Velvet Cake Ice Cream. Only 130 calories in half a cup. Occasionally I'll eat a whole container (1860 calories) over the course of a weekend. So addicted right now.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I bank my calories throughout the week and have ice cream friday and saturday nights. I am currently hooked on a "lighter" vanilla from trader joe's, right now, mainly because I can have a cup for the same amount of calories as half a cup of the "regular" stuff. ...I also load on the oreos, peanut butter, and chocolate sauce. it's my own little lowball glass of happiness. ;)
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    If there are Publix grocery stores in your area, try their Light Tiramisu - only 130 calories per 1/2 cup. Personally, I can't tell it's "light" in any way.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    High calorie ice cream. The real stuff is so much more filling and rich - I can't eat more than one scoop.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Turkey Hill no sugar added- so just to be clear- this isn't NO SUGAR_ it's NO SUGAR ADDED_ so it still has sugar but they didn't spice it up- 120 calories for 68 grams.

totally do-able.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm hooked on the Edy's slow churned caramel delight. I bought the chocolate chip cookie dough flavor over the wkend and it's good, too.
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna see if Edy's slow churned french silk is at Walmart and if not, I'll see what other flavors they have cause that sounds good lol. Since half of you recommended that one. ;)
  • sup3rb3ast
    sup3rb3ast Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I get coconut milk or almond milk ice cream. It's delicious and it comes in small containers so if I end up binging, there's no real harm done (as long as i only keep one container in the freezer at a time haha). I typically find it in the health/organic section of the grocery store rather than the ice cream section.

08sf9skdnqw2.jpg
  • Karin066
    Karin066 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've had an ice cream jones these past few weeks, as well. I just discovered Yasso frozen Greek yogurt bars. 100 calories, 1 to 2 grams fat, 5 grams protein. They are a good size and satisfying and hit the spot when I crave ice cream. I got them at Walmart.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot. Salted caramel, oreo cookie and mint chip. Those are my go-to's usually.

Sometimes I'll get Talenti if I'm feeling frisky.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot.

I prefer Edy's too. Ever since I was child I preferred lower-fat ice cream. That full fat stuff makes me all phlegmy. :s
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    I'm weird. I don't like Ben & Jerry's (unless it's mint oreo cookie), but I do like Edy's Slow Churned a lot.

I prefer Edy's too. Ever since I was child I preferred lower-fat ice cream. That full fat stuff makes me all phlegmy. :s

I just don't like that much "stuff" in my ice cream. It's too chunky to me.