Tea anyone?

Options
Hi, I'm new to MFP and logging my food and I have a quick question. Do you log your tea as snack or as water? I drink lots of fruit teas that are 0 cal, no sugar or any sweeteners. I've been logging them as snacks, but they are kind of like coloured / flavoured water :) ...

Replies

• alliesgettinghealthy
    alliesgettinghealthy Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't usually log it when I drink tea but if I do I just put it under snacks. :)
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I mainly drink "normal" tea (tetley/pg tips etc with milk) but I'm a bit rubbish at recording every mug!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Regular tea has about 2 calories per cup, so it can be easily ignored. Fruit teas usually have slightly more (about 4). So if you drink more than 5 cups a day it may be worth logging.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Tea counts as water in hydration. The idea that we must drink 8 glasses of plain water a day has been fully debunked. Watch the color of your urine. If it is straw or pale yellow in color, you are getting enough water through whatever you drink or eat. If it is bright yellow or darker, you should increase your water/liquid consumption to be fully hydrated.
  • nopotofgold
    nopotofgold Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Don't log it. If the box says no calories then I don't normally put it.
  • Jengoing2015
    Jengoing2015 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I don't log my water or tea. Everything else, yes.
  • rugbyphreak
    rugbyphreak Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I don't log it when it's free of sugar, artificial sweeteners, and cream. I do add it to my water count though. If you are monitoring other nutrients, like potassium, you may want to log it. Black tea has about 20 mg of potassium per serving.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I track it as water.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I log my tea as water. :)

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I created a "Beverages" section of my log, and I put it there.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I generally track as water, but if I add honey, then I log that under snacks. I don't log the tea (talking fresh brewed, I poured water over tea leaves, not something I buy in a bottle).
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I log it as water. If I'm being anal I list the teabag.
  • Gritty_Gal
    Gritty_Gal Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!

Heidi, that's interesting information. I never really paid attention to my urine, but now I will, just out of curiosity :)
    Tea counts as water in hydration. The idea that we must drink 8 glasses of plain water a day has been fully debunked. Watch the color of your urine. If it is straw or pale yellow in color, you are getting enough water through whatever you drink or eat. If it is bright yellow or darker, you should increase your water/liquid consumption to be fully hydrated.

I normally have a coffee in the morning and 3 teas over the course of the day plus one 750ml bottle of water in between my teas (more on the days I work out). So I don't think I'm dehydrated.
  • Sam_LJackson
    Sam_LJackson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Don't log it as calories - I used to but it just doesn't feel worth the effort any more (unless it has milk or sugar in it, then yes, log). I don't log my water intake but if I did, I would totally count tea!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i log it as a snack, since i put honey in it and it has calories.

if i drank it 'straight', i probably wouldnt log it at all, since it has no calories by itself.
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have my meal sections re-named to fit my eating habits better, and yes I log my tea in the right sections,because I add a splenda/sugar mix and it looks funny if I just have random 1/2tsps of sugar on my diary lol. I don't log my regular water though.
  • melanie899
    melanie899 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I usually just log it with a meal....ie ice tea for lunch, herbal tea for dinner or snack. Just personal preference really.