Regional Fare

Options
AgentOrangeJuice
AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
edited April 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I grew up in New Jersey and lived on a healthy diet of boardwalk pizza, waffle fries, lemonade tea ( this is 1/2 lemonade and 1/2 iced tea, not that Arnold Palmer crap they sell in cans), hoagies/subs and cheesesteaks every day of my life. breakfasts would consist of Cream Chipped Beef or Pork Roll with Eggs and Toast. I weighed 205 lbs from high school until I was 27.

I was pleasantly skinny fat.

I moved to Illinois April 19th 2004, almost 10 years ago to the day and in that time, I went from eating Mom and Pop pizzeria food, to eating corn fed corporate conglomerate cuisine. At my heaviest a year ago March 10th, I was 300 lbs.

I have yet to find a great cheesesteak in my neck of Illinois, we did get a Capriotti's a couple years ago, but it takes so long to cross the Mississippi sometimes.

Has anyone ever had a cheestesteak shipped across country via fedex/ups? How did it hold up?

Also, I blame being fat on the menu change and world of warcraft. but seriously, the logisitics of shipping a greasy 20 inch double cheesesteak is daunting.

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Just eat an Italian beef sandwich and quit whining :wink:

I have a hard time imagining that a cheesesteak would hold up while being shipped. Wouldn't the bread get soggy? Plus... think about when you eat a cheesesteak outside when it's cold. The grease drips off and it's solidified before it even hits the paper wrapper.

I think you'd be better off buying a plane ticket to Jersey for the weekend.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I've never had a cheesesteak.

Wait, that's a lie. I had one in Belize. A couple had retired and moved from the USA and bought a bar in Belize. They were from the Northeast and I thought they would be able to make a good cheesesteak. I was wrong.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    You may need to learn to make one at home -- roll and all. It can be done. I would think a day-old cheesesteak, refrigerated for shipping, would fail to meet your standards.
  • Talkradio
    Talkradio Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Just eat an Italian beef sandwich and quit whining :wink:

I have a hard time imagining that a cheesesteak would hold up while being shipped. Wouldn't the bread get soggy? Plus... think about when you eat a cheesesteak outside when it's cold. The grease drips off and it's solidified before it even hits the paper wrapper.

I think you'd be better off buying a plane ticket to Jersey for the weekend.

+1 for Italian beef.