Pain in Foot- possible to re-aggrevate old stress fractures?

Options
I've been having nagging pain in my left foot the last several days, sitting is fine but as soon as I put weight on it my foot hurts. I've been working with a trainer the last few weeks, and last week he had me do jump squats the night before the pain started. My foot was broken in nearly the same place 2X as a teenager (gymnastics) and I had stress fractures in about the same area from running in my 20s. I'm in my 40s now though so I guess I'm a little surprised. In addition to weight training 3X a week, I normally walk 3-5 miles on my non-weight days.

Do I need to lay off the walking and weight lifting for a bit?

Replies

• kikichewie
    kikichewie Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    You should probably check with your doctor. But since I hate going to the doctor, I'll tell you what I did the last time I injured my foot. I avoided high impact and jumping, so I switched from treadmill (running, inclines and fast walking hurt) to the bike for a while. I kept lifting weights, but only exercises with a neutral foot, so i could do squats and deadlifts, but not burpees or walking lunges. I just modified to keep my foot neutral. Took about six weeks until my foot felt better. Then I started back very carefully and stopped any time I felt pain.