Looking for phone app

Options
I am looking for a good app for an android based phone that will calculate calories and distance while I am walking. I have tried a couple but I don't think they are right. Does anyone have one that they use and they like it? Thanks.

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I am looking for a good app for an android based phone that will calculate calories and distance while I am walking. I have tried a couple but I don't think they are right. Does anyone have one that they use and they like it? Thanks.

Beware, phone apps generally overestimate calorie burns, so only log about half. I had one when I first started losing weight....I think it was runtastic or something. It was the only one I found that paused when I stopped walking, so the distance was more accurate.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,943 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    If you don't have a step counter you may want to use PACER Pedometer on Android and iphone.

I've found that my phone does need to be rebooted sometimes to get the apps to count steps and that placement of the phone does matter in the recording of the steps.

If you want to count specific step based activities Runkeeper, Map My Run, Runtastic are just a few of them.

All of these apps can connect to MFP.

So can the Jawbone and Fitbit apps which you can be downloaded and used without a tracker.

Not familiar with the Jawbone app specifically, but all the other apps I mentioned can record a GPS track/step/distance count of your walks/runs when you specifically initiate the activity on the phone.

Pacer and (also Moves, which I stopped using once Facebook bought them) are all day trackers.

Pacer's caloric adjustment to MFP was NOT overstated in my particular case when compared to expected weight loss when I used to have the two apps connected.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I love MapMyWalk. Considering it uses the phone's GPS for tracking your location, I rather surprised at how little power it uses. I went on a 8+ mile hike the other day, while using my phone for many other things (pictures, texts, checking email, even streaming some music) and the battery only went down about 30%. It has a pretty cool web interface where you can plan your routes, including trails, to figure out the mileage and elevation. You can also save your walks (or hike, or bike rides, etc), see your total time, split times, and elevation changes. You could also look up nearby routes that others have created.

I tried Google Fit and it was a battery hog.

Whatever you decide to use, compare the calories burned with this chart from the Mayo Clinic:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/exercise/art-20050999?pg=2

I find MMW to be very accurate for calories, both compared to the Mayo Clinic chart, and based on my own weight loss.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    MapMyWalk though I've had issues with it glitching out if I'm running other apps. Endomondo is another one.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Have you thought of an activity tracker?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyfitness so that I can track most of my cardio along with my jawbone...what's nice now is that mapmyfitness (walk/run) links into Jawbone and MFP...win win.
  • drs64
    drs64 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I second MapMyFitness. I recently started using Wahoo fitness, because MMF does not sync with the Magellan Echo watch I bought. Fortunately, Wahoo and MMF can be sync'd, so I run Wahoo with the watch during my activities and then port them all to MMF for the stats and tracking. Also, if you're looking for accurate calorie burns I would recommend getting some sort of heart rate monitor, which would pair with either of those apps and give you a better burn estimate.