Another Raw vs. cooked question

Options
7aneena
7aneena Posts: 146 Member
I added a recipe in the recipe builder for roasted potatoes today. The raw weight was roughly 800 grams ( I dropped few pieces and did not weigh after) so I decided to weigh the whole thing after cooking and it was 420 g
Since it was 4 servings in the recipe builder I just divided the 420 grams to 4 servings making it 105/serving and logged it that way
Did I do it right or should a serving be 200g based on raw weight?

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    No you did it right. You need to reweigh after cooking because the cooking process changes the weight (due to loss of moisture).
  • jangus9416
    jangus9416 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Sorry to add more confusion, but I'm pretty sure most of the food entries are based on raw weight. At least that's what I've heard about for meat
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »
    Sorry to add more confusion, but I'm pretty sure most of the food entries are based on raw weight. At least that's what I've heard about for meat

Ideally you should log the raw weight into the recipe builder in order to be the most accurate. But then you have to weigh again after cooking to figure out how much a serving of cooked food weighs.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    jangus9416 wrote: »

Ideally you should log the raw weight into the recipe builder in order to be the most accurate. But then you have to weigh again after cooking to figure out how much a serving of cooked food weighs.

Yes that's what I was thinking, makes perfect sense, thank you