walking outside vs treadmill

Options
I do 3 miles on the treadmill at 3mph or a little more for an hour. I went outside and walked 2.7 miles at a good clip and Im more tired doing that..Its mainly flat with a few little inclines..do you think I burned more calories walking outside? My legs certainly got more tired (it was entirely on hot top).

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I think you use a whole bunch of different little muscles outdoors from the uneven terrain. I like it better.

Me, I run outdoors but the few times I tried running on an indoor track I was tired a lot faster. It's different; different muscles are activated.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    good point
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I do 3 miles on the treadmill at 3mph or a little more for an hour. I went outside and walked 2.7 miles at a good clip and Im more tired doing that..Its mainly flat with a few little inclines..do you think I burned more calories walking outside? My legs certainly got more tired (it was entirely on hot top).

Generally you'll need to add 1-2% incline to the treadmill to simulate "real world" effort.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Think of it like this:

The treadmill has a belt that is moving, so you just lift your leg, put it forward and belt has moved (not the ground). Outside, you have to actually pull your bodyweight forward. Also, even small changes in terrain are going to place additional stresses on additional muscles. So, yes, walking outside uses more energy than walking on a treadmill, but don’t go nuts on the logging. Ten percent of a small number is a small number.
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    gotcha ty!
  • pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    In my experience it works both ways. When I have been running on the treadmill, running outside is harder. When I have been running outside, the treadmill is harder. Different muscles.