Trying to lose 70lbs

Options
Need help and support!

Replies

• Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    What aspect do you need help with ?
    Do you understand Calorie in Calorie Out ?
    Are you weighing all of your food with a scale ?
    Do you log and track all of your food ?
    What time frame have you set to achieve your 70 lb goal ?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less and move more. You'll lose.
  • ablalock0712
    ablalock0712 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this I'm setting my goal for 6 months. I'm trying to understand the calorie counter. I just got a gym membership. I want to set a realistic goal.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm very new to this I'm setting my goal for 6 months. I'm trying to understand the calorie counter. I just got a gym membership. I want to set a realistic goal.
    I wouldn't put a time frame on it. Just go get it and keep getting it. You can do it!
  • Camo_xxx
    Options

Calorie counting.

Calorie counting is done so you can control the number of calories you consume on a daily basis.
    We know that 1 pound of fat is equall to 3500 calories, for the human body to lose fat we must be in a calorie deficit
    by eating fewer calories each day then we burn. How many calories you burn each day depends on how much you weigh and how much
    You move your body.

Rate of loss,
    since we know 3500 calories = 1 lb and we need to be in a calorie defict we can control the rate at which we lose fat by. 500 calorie per day deficit = 1 pound of fat loss per week, or 1000 calorie deficit per day = 2 lbs per week, ect.

Some simple math sez that to lose 70lbs in 26 weeks is almost 3 lbs per week which would require a 1500 calorie per day deficit. that is not a realistic goal. a realistic goal would be on the order of 2lbs a week for the first 50lbs, maybe 1 1/2 lbs per week for the next 10lbs and perhaps 1 lb for the next 10lbs.

To know how many calories a food item contains we use a fod scale to weigh it and MFP to log and keep track of it.

Here is more in depth info on calorie counting. Read that and you will never have to "hope" to lose fat, you will know exactly how to.
    http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/
  • ablalock0712
    Options
    Thank u so much
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    Thank u so much

You are welcome.

I left out the burning calorie side of the equation but if you read the link I included in my first post it explains the whole process and you will be a pro in no time.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I also agree with no time set to lose the weight. I have been obsessing over losing x amount of weight each week, and hitting my goal on xmas day. It's gotten to the point where I have realised that is silly and a huge waste of my time and not productive :-). I am just happy to be losing and not gaining!
  • Camo_xxx
    Options
    I suppose not setting a time frame for achieving a goal is an easy way to avoid disappointment.
    However if you have set a time frame to your goal and understand what needs to be done to execute the plan then it is a great way to hold yourself accountable and motivated. It takes the " I hope it happens " and turns it into " I am making it happen"
  • ablalock0712
    Options
    Thank u so much for the taking the time to explain this to me
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Camo_xxx wrote: »
    I suppose not setting a time frame for achieving a goal is an easy way to avoid disappointment.
    However if you have set a time frame to your goal and understand what needs to be done to execute the plan then it is a great way to hold yourself accountable and motivated. It takes the " I hope it happens " and turns it into " I am making it happen"

That is true, as long as it is a realistic time frame. Mine was to go from 253lbs to 115lbs (or smaller) in less than a year. Realistic? Maybe...easy? No. I got so angry when instead of losing 4lbs a week, it was only 3lbs. Furious, actually. I never celebrated the losses, only lamented those pounds that I had expected to lose and didn't. I had this big chart written out with the exact number I wanted to see every Sunday.

Now I have changed my goal post to next year :-). Still a time frame but a kinder one.

• Camo_xxx
    Options
    minties82 wrote: »
    Camo_xxx wrote: »

That is true, as long as it is a realistic time frame. Mine was to go from 253lbs to 115lbs (or smaller) in less than a year. Realistic? Maybe...easy? No. I got so angry when instead of losing 4lbs a week, it was only 3lbs. Furious, actually. I never celebrated the losses, only lamented those pounds that I had expected to lose and didn't. I had this big chart written out with the exact number I wanted to see every Sunday.

Now I have changed my goal post to next year :-). Still a time frame but a kinder one.

Agreed that the goal should be realistic. The first step is having an understanding of the process so you can formulate your strategy .