In China for a month. No pool, so walking a lot.

Options
fishgutzy
fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
In Hangzhou for a month (again). No pool access in this city. Any fitness 'club' is a considered a luxury here and very expensive, even by US standards. No pool close to the office as there is at the Shanghai office. (I've posted video of the chaos in that pool when one goes at the wrong time)
So against medical advice, I have to walk to get exercise. 3.2 miles each way from the apartment to the office. And walk up and down to the 20th floor a couple times a day.
Degenerative osteoarthritis in my first metatarsal joints are the reason I'm not supposed to walk for exercise. But the alternative is worse :) So I walk. I'll pay for it later though.
Adapt or get fat.
I have my resistance band set to workout in the apartment too. So I can working the swimming muscles on the upper body.
The worst part of the walk to the office is that several area smell just like a failed septic system. But I just keep going.

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Good luck!
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ahhh...Chinese "gyms" I know them well. I don't know that I'd trust swimming in a Chinese pool anyway considering how "clean" they keep everything else. I live in Guangzhou so things are a tiny bit better here.

Just a suggestion, but does your apartment complex or any apartment complexes nearby have pools? Many will allow you to buy a day pass for 20 rmb or so. You'd have to bring a Chinese friend to inquire about the price and rates. Once you've gone a few times the people will automatically know what you want and you won't even have to talk anymore. Many apartment complexes also have simple gyms etc. It's worth looking into while you're there. That being said, even here in Guangzhou the pools aren't open yet due to the "cold".

Also, look into the pools of any Western hotels, if you talk to management they may be willing to allow you to buy a month pass just to use the pool or gym. There are a few Marriott's in Hangzhou that have swimming pools, so check with them.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Can you use any workout tapes or DVDs? I I've done my share of living in hotels, and I always took a tae bo DVD with me. These days there are a ton of options, both high and low impact, that don't require equipment on youtube for free.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I take a jump rope and a gym boss timer when I travel for work. Short, intense works, done and dusted
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    Jump rope and other impact areobics are a big no no for me. Very painful. Walking and hiking are as much impact as I can take.
    I did bring a set of resistance bands (75# max) so I can work muscles.
    No pool in the government owned apartment complex.
    Walking the 20 flights is good too. My quads are killing me from yesterday :)
    Western hotels that have pools are more expensive than the company is willing to pay. 250+RMB per day for a single visit.
    The pool in Shanghai is not bad if I go at the right time, meaning 1 to 3 in the afternoon. But nothing in Hangzhou. One university has a public time for 2 hours in the afternoon. But it is not close enough to be time effective. Also has no lane ropes and utter chaos.
    Another that is 8km away is 100RMB per day.
    Nothing opens early either. I love my Y. 5AM open.
    Fitness centers are a luxury here and thus quite expensive.
    I'll just do my best to stay even at least. Then happily hit my Y the morning after I get back for a glorious 6000 yard swim.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    is bicycling an option?
  • fishgutzy
    Options
    swirlybee wrote: »
    is bicycling an option?

No. Boss won't buy 'company bicycle' and I can't justify spending $500 for a bicycle I'll only use for a month. There is zero chance any such bicycle would still be around next trip.
    Besides, I think the CEO likes having us at his mercy. And that is partly why it feels like being in a minimum security prison by the end of the first week.
    The upsides are all on the US side of the job. Traveling to China is way over rated. I would never take a job that required me to move here for a year or more. NFW.