Protein?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I.E. eating mostly proteins will cause your body to shift from carbs as the main source of energy on to harder to digest proteins... causing you to lose massive amounts of weight.
    Surely-You-Cant-Be-Serious-In-Airplane-Gif.gif
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I.E. eating mostly proteins will cause your body to shift from carbs as the main source of energy on to harder to digest proteins... causing you to lose massive amounts of weight.

broscience. actually I've never even heard broscience quite this crazy
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    lnt3083 wrote: »
    Way too much protein. You're not bodybuilding are you? You're trying to lose weight and retain the muscle you already have right? I'm 5'10 and was 205. I'm 172 now and I get 80-105 grams of protein. You must strength train also to help retain muscle. Its said a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Again..I believe that's for bulking and bodybuilding.

1g per lb isn't necessary. .6-. 87g per lb of bodyweight will suffice.

She's 255 and 6' -- 200 is a nice round number that happens to be about .78 grams per lb of bodyweight. Seems not crazy, especially if she's aiming for it and not freaking if she doesn't hit it and if she's eating the calories she said she's eating.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Any tips on how to get in ALOT of protein with not so much fat or sodium? I met with a nutritionist to figure out what was bad about my diet. At my weight she recommended 200 grams of protein per day. I thought I was doing well to get 100. So I've been trying and haven't reached it yet. I find it hard to eat that much food, let alone high protein low fat.

How low fat? That's the hard part.

I don't get nearly 200 grams (I'm 5'3, 125), but one source I find to be really useful is low fat dairy -- cottage cheese and plain greek yogurt, especially (I add fruit).

You can bulk up eggs with egg whites, also.
  • nancyjay__
    nancyjay__ Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Since we are only talking about protein im curious to know your other macronutrient goals. Maybe this trainer is trying to "help" you lose weight by lowering carbs and fats and shooting protein up bc its the only thing to do. If this is the case you prob don't need that much protein. And you prob don't need to eat as much as you are eating...and cutting one macro to lose weight is not necessarily a good idea...I hate when people say they don't eat ANY carbs...that just sounds dumb to me

**correct me if I'm wrong anyone***
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would honestly be very cautious in eating mass quantities of protein. Over a sustained period of time, this can be damaging to your kidneys.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary if it helps--it's open. I usually try for 100-130 g of protein per day. Depends on how much I'm eating. I try to keep my carbs and protein pretty even. I do need to eat more fat and some days are better than others.

I do have a protein shake for breakfast, both for taste and convenience (I drink while driving to work). I also have a shake most days I workout, either during my workout (lifting) or right after (HIIT/Running). I have different proteins for different functions. The workout one has electrolytes, potassium, sodium and other nutrients.

I like eggs, egg whites, tuna, tofu, fish. I usually mix with veggies like cauliflower, broccoli, spinach, carrots, green beans and fava beans. I am not a cook. Most of what I do involves a microwave and a skillet.

In general, I try to be carb-careful (though I love my black beans). But today, I had chicken noodle soup for lunch because I'm fighting off a cold.
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I would honestly be very cautious in eating mass quantities of protein. Over a sustained period of time, this can be damaging to your kidneys.

This reminds me make sure you eat your FIBER! you dont wanna eat 200g of protein without the proper FIBER to match that :o
  • FitForL1fe
    Options

Nah that's broscience, you have a source for this?
  • nancyjay__
    Options
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    draznyth wrote: »

Not broscience. There can always be "too much of anything"
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-how-much-protein-is-too-much.html
  • FitForL1fe
    Options
    nancyjay__ wrote: »

Mercola is full of quackery. Google him.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-macro-manager-how-much-protein-is-too-much.html

There is nothing in that article about kidney damage from protein consumption, which is the broscience. Either way, that article has no scientific sources.
  • nancyjay__
    Options

Mercola is full of quackery. Google him.

There is nothing in that article about kidney damage from protein consumption, which is the broscience. Either way, that article has no scientific sources.

I thought it was bs lol. And the second article was just about the protein over eating. Doesn't your body just stop absorbing/breaking down/using the protein after a certain amount?
  • nancyjay__
    Options
    Mercola is far from reliable.

http://authoritynutrition.com/is-too-much-protein-bad-for-you/

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/high-protein-safe-for-kidneys

Yes I saw his article didn't seem to be ummmm sound. Thanks will read.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    lnt3083 wrote: »
    Way too much protein. You're not bodybuilding are you? You're trying to lose weight and retain the muscle you already have right? I'm 5'10 and was 205. I'm 172 now and I get 80-105 grams of protein. You must strength train also to help retain muscle. Its said a gram of protein per pound of body weight. Again..I believe that's for bulking and bodybuilding.

1g per lb isn't necessary. .6-. 87g per lb of bodyweight will suffice.

She's 255 and 6' -- 200 is a nice round number that happens to be about .78 grams per lb of bodyweight. Seems not crazy, especially if she's aiming for it and not freaking if she doesn't hit it and if she's eating the calories she said she's eating.

Hitting 200g isn't going to do anything particularly special and what I'm saying is that if doesn't approach at all it and isn't going to be some detrimental situation. She's 255 and a bit of the lbm that she has accumulated with be leaving regardless as she loses weight.

Oh, I agree that 200 grams isn't necessary, but if she's been at 100 or below (as stated) that's pretty low given her size, and the RD isn't off-base to say aim at 200 when eating a pretty substantial calorie total. I'd hope maybe adjust if it proves to be hard or perhaps as they lower overall calories. It doesn't sound as if OP is freaking out about getting precisely to 200, but saying it's a huge jump.

200 would be silly for me and for many others, but I think people were ignoring that OP is 255 and at 6' likely has some decent LBM as part of that.