Logging a bite?

Options
Sometimes, like in the case of sweets, 1 or 2 bites is enough to satisfy my craving for it. How the heck do you log a bite of something?

Also I should mention, that sometimes the food is in grams, while other times it's just one unit, like "One ice cream cone". (Yes, I take one bite from an ice cream cone haha)

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Sometimes, like in the case of sweets, 1 or 2 bites is enough to satisfy my craving for it. How the heck do you log a bite of something?

Also I should mention, that sometimes the food is in grams, while other times it's just one unit, like "One ice cream cone". (Yes, I take one bite from an ice cream cone haha)

Bite it. Spit it onto a scale, log it, then shove it back into your mouth. In the case of ice cream you may have to lick your scale to get it all back into your mouth.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »

Bite it. Spit it onto a scale, log it, then shove it back into your mouth. In the case of ice cream you may have to lick your scale to get it all back into your mouth.

Hahaha! Yeah, might not find it so appetizing after that anymore... :trollface:
  • ncboiler89
    Options

Ya but seriously. Why would you just not weigh whatever it is before and after you bite it. Or maybe I am missing something.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Depends on what it is... 1 or 2 bites of cheesecake or something could have 100 calories. Also depends on how big the bites are. I always overestimate to be safe.

A bite for me would be a teaspoon I suppose. If something is measured in grams that's fine, but an ice cream cone is measured by unit. Which decimal would I use for that. :confused:
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

:lol:

hwd2xoo4vsdr.gif
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    Depends on what it is... 1 or 2 bites of cheesecake or something could have 100 calories. Also depends on how big the bites are. I always overestimate to be safe.

A bite for me would be a teaspoon I suppose. If something is measured in grams that's fine, but an ice cream cone is measured by unit. Which decimal would I use for that. :confused:

Do you really need to be that accurate? I'm all for accuracy but if you take a bite of an ice cream cone and call it 0.05 (1/20th) servings are you going to be that far off?
  • Leana088
    Options

Ya but seriously. Why would you just not weigh whatever it is before and after you bite it. Or maybe I am missing something.

Because, how do you log one bite in mfp if the serving size of a cone in the database is: "1 cone". If the bite is 5 grams...is that like 0.10 of 1 cone or something?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Do you really need to be that accurate? I'm all for accuracy but if you take a bite of an ice cream cone and call it 0.05 (1/20th) servings are you going to be that far off?

Yeah, unless I was taking bites all day long I wouldn't even worry about it. How many calories could it be in the grand scheme of things?
  • Leana088
    Options

That's what I've been trying to find out man! Hahaha :lol:
  • mayharmony
    mayharmony Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Presumably you eat the rest at some point, if so just log the whole thing once...
  • ncboiler89
    Options

Because, how do you log one bite in mfp if the serving size of a cone in the database is: "1 cone". If the bite is 5 grams...is that like 0.10 of 1 cone or something?

Estimate. The little amount you are estimating is not going to make any difference at all. I mean how far off can you be? You're talking a few calories unless you REALY suck at estimating. Like I said, if I took a bite of 1 cone (to use your example) I would put something like 0.05 servings (or 0.05 cones) in MFP.
  • Leana088
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

Yeah, unless I was taking bites all day long I wouldn't even worry about it. How many calories could it be in the grand scheme of things?

A teaspoon of nutella has 40 calories :confounded:
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    jump up and down for a few minutes and burn it off
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I always log up, to be safe.
  • ncboiler89
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

A teaspoon of nutella has 40 calories :confounded:

Ya. So if you miss it by half a teaspoon you are off by 20 calories. Not a big deal imo.
  • Leana088
    Options
    Thanks anyhow :smile:
  • Solamer
    Solamer Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    measure spoon. zero out scale. put ice cream on spoon. weigh again. put in face.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    i would eat the whole cone to avoid the problem.
  • Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Most of the time the box says how many grams one serving (so one cone) should be. Find out, weigh it and then get your decimal that way
  • Leana088
    Options
    ejane609 wrote: »
    measure spoon. zero out scale. put ice cream on spoon. weigh again. put in face.

I LOL'd